C3 dash design and parts.

SRountree

I paid a guy $1,500 ($3,000 balance) to make me a custom dash but after a year and a half I ask him for my parts back. He said he would send them to me by mail but NO GO!!! I am left trying to do this on my own but man oh man the replacements parts are expensive. I found a set of custom gauges "Revolution - by SpeedHut" GPS, etc. Do you guys know if they are good? It will cost about $900.00 just for the gauges and I will have to make the dash out of fiberglass. I want to put in a 7 or 8" touch screen radio, GPS, Back up camera system replacing where the middle gauges were. SpeedHut has a duel Speed-tach gauge that looks nice and a 4-combo gauge (oil, temp, volts, gas) that will make the dash a little more streamline. Right now I was thinking about the 6 gauge set up having three gauges on the top of the dash like the Nissan 370z...
Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.
Dash-maybe.jpg

Have you considered and eliminated an A-Pillar mod? Cleans off the top of the dash:

12695692fa4009ea9.jpg

If you feel the urge for more:
12695692fa99136c1.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Jim,
I did think about the pillar post gauges but I don't think there is enough room and it still look right. If I want a clean look without a bunch of gauges, "Clean set" are the ones I will replace in the factory position. Keep in mind I still have to make a dash to house them but it will really clean up the dash. The other set of gauges called "gauge set" will be similar except I would place them on the top of the dash. Maybe 1/2 above and 1/2 into the dash top. What do you think?
-Steve

Attachments

• Gauge set.JPG
    Gauge set.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
  • clean set.JPG
    clean set.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 19
I like the dual set - then all gauges in one spot (factory original position of tacho and speedo. Leaves a lot of real estate for the biggest touch screen possible. BTW - there are some android apps that you could maybe use for a dash - but require an ECU - something a mostly stock C3 electrical system won't have. But if you've made the leap - can't recall -- makes for more options. Mount the touch screen in Portrait mode and maybe fit a 10.1?

Cheers - Jim

I think I am leaning towards the dual gauges because it will make the dash cleaner and yes, a 10" screen would be awesome.

Denpo, I agree, the C2 dash is awesome and one of my favorites but it would cost me a lot to buy it unless someone on VetteMOD has one they will sell at a reasonable price... :O)

Hey Steve-

I feel your pain....I was looking at getting repo stuff- but the cheap plastic from China that really doesn't fit is $1500.

I decided to just take the stock gauges and make a new dash- fiberglassing parts is really not rocket science....lot of work - but I probably will have less than $500 in material.

Here's my inspiration- late 60's Lamborghini Miura-
p400s2.jpg

Fiberglass gauge pods-Stock gauges. Used some 6" PVC to set it up

DSCN5553_zpscmtjevls.jpg

Panel surround front windshield- used some central vacuum PVC pipe I had laying around and a heat gun for the mold-

DSCN5418_zpsqifzduaa.jpg

Got some defroster ducts from the junkyard for like $5-

DSCN5538_zpsbllbx27p.jpg

Here's the gauge cluster and center console

DSCN5593_zpssg6ofn16.jpg

DSCN5596_zpsa8nqsua2.jpg

Just took the stock bezel and cut it up-then hit it w/ a belt sander and cleared it- Console glovebox door is from a Cadillac Escalade. Also kept the fiberoptics

DSCN5746_zpsylqjw9z1.jpg

A mock-up....layed some vinyl to see if I liked the look-

DSCN5609_zpsrqvoexzq.jpg

A big plus- storage in a Vette!! Have a 12v cigarette outlet -USB port and a port for the Megasquirt ECU.

DSCN5742_zpslymct175.jpg

Here's the cupholder cover- from a Volvo for like $40...Power window-electric parking brake switch and the rear fiberoptics-

DSCN5718_zps9h5jeme0.jpg

Heated AND cooled elctric cupholder from a Cadillac Escalade- also the heated seat switches

DSCN5719_zpsgwyenopr.jpg

Wow thats nice.... i think ill go ahead and get the dual gages and start mocking up something out of cardboard to see what I can come up with. What do you gus think about the GPS gauges vs electronic ones?

Steve, my speedo just blew up on me, cable and needle are gawn, so I have a sending unit on the car for engine control computer.....

wonder what those gauge sets cost and where to get them.....GPS speedo would be nice trick.....

unless it runs a fortune.....:goodevil:

Cost for GPS gauge

I found custom speedo gauge 3 3/8", 4", 4 1/2", and I believe 5" and they are about $260.00

I am looking to but the ones I had on my post but for some reason Vette Mod is asking me to register... I thought I was already!

Anyways, the link is SpeedHut.com. They have several different styles and MPH options.

Richard, How did you use the PVC? You said you used a heat gun to form it? does it melt easy? Also did you use foam to make a shape, grease it down, then lay the fiberglass over it? Last question, how did you get the vinyl dash like that?

I was thinking of using Crescent boards to mock it up, make metal brackets and weld them to the existing metal, then use foam or something to form the dash and fiberglass. (pantyhose?) Honey I need some of your.... :O)

I have to do some research on forming glass... :O)

Hey Steve-

I used central vacuum PVC pipe- real thin and about 2" in diameter w. a heat gun to form. Pluming pipe is way too thick.

I used a 6" Schd 40 connector for the stock gauges- perfect size. After I pull the leather around the gauges I'll use a trim ring of 6" pipe- paint it flat black- should fit really well as the outside of the coupler vs the inside give me about 1/8" all the way around.

The fiberglass really doesn't like to stick to the PVC- some canola oil and you're good to go. For flat surfaces (like the inside of the glovebox)I used the thin acrylic/plexiglass that Home Depot/Lowes sells for window replacement-It makes a really smooth surface.

For the dash- just use an old streachey t-shirt and staple it to some MDF - do a google search on custom speaker boxes- or custom fiberglass dash...there's a lot of info on it.

Mistakes are easily taken care of w/ a belt sander - or a cutting wheel!!!

Richard

Thanks Richard for the info... I have a lot of research to do now before I get started. I started collecting components so I'll have a good idea what I need to do. :O)

I ordered $400.00 in fiberglass material and foam to start my dash. I also started buying the pieces I need to incorporate the necessary items... Now I hope I am a good as I think I am! ha ha ha

Hey Steve-

Yep- a lot of sanding but not near as bad as bodywork if you're going to cover w/ vinyl/leather or do a textured spray. A small belt sander (21" x3") w/ an 80 grit belt will git-r-done!!!

BTW- I just got a whole cow for less than $200 for my project!!!

DSCN5819_zpsjs5ffe9u.jpg

Does anyone on Vette Mod know if I can use a modern gauge cluster with my c3? I will update the wiring but not using a computer. I have intentions to change over to electronic gauges and sensors for the speedo...

Does anyone on Vette Mod know if I can use a modern gauge cluster with my c3? I will update the wiring but not using a computer. I have intentions to change over to electronic gauges and sensors for the speedo...

Depends what you consider modern....Can-Bus started in 2003 and IIRC all cars by 2008.