No turning back now

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Started sanding down the car today and in between the neighbors stopping by and asking questions i did not make much progress.
thum_38490903cecfe1a.jpg
thum_38490903d0e30af.jpg

can i use my heat gun to get badges off the car??????????????? i need to get them off so i can sand :push:

Take em off and toss them, or just paint over them.....

:gurney:

but I just told my welder buddy who is on the road working in Pittsburg and freezing his ASS off now....well he said to NOT sand my car, as it would turn out worse than it is now, on account of I ain't got the PATIENCE.....

he IS right, I know.....actually it's more the repetitive motion on the hands/joints....kneeling/sitting next to the car....

:crylol:

:crap::ill:

push a few razor blades between the emblem and the paint, it'll come off.... heat will help but shouldn't be necessary....

Try a razor blade to strip the car before you sand too much, I really liked that method best.

push a few razor blades between the emblem and the paint, it'll come off.... heat will help but shouldn't be necessary....

Try a razor blade to strip the car before you sand too much, I really liked that method best.

I can do that,i was going to try the blades for removing paint and forgot all about it :lol:

The 74 has speed nuts on the backside- check there before you go digging around with a blade.. Ol' Red ain't got no stinkin' badges.

Kevin,

Get a piece of plastic strap that they use when banding a box. Slide it under there with a back & fourth motion. It will take it right off. That is what they use at the body shops.

Kevin,

Get a piece of plastic strap that they use when banding a box. Slide it under there with a back & fourth motion. It will take it right off. That is what they use at the body shops.

I used a hammer and a chisel on them today and they popped right off :smash:

Good advice i was able to get them off pretty much the same way you said except i used some fishing string :idea: Just make sure to wear some gloves before you attempt this or things could get messy :sos:

Well it's a big mess now :waxer::smash: plan for tomorrow is to pull the doors off and sand them down.
thum_38490b92e16c4e0.jpg
thum_38490b92e28c08b.jpg
thum_38490b92e3edb24.jpg

Progress:bounce:

Yes progress i like it :nuts: But after i pulled that rear bumper cover off i see a lot of "While-im-at-it's" in there. Think i will finish pulling all that metal out and blast it and then put some POR_15 on it,we can't have any rusty parts :crap:

Yes progress i like it :nuts: But after i pulled that rear bumper cover off i see a lot of "While-im-at-it's" in there. Think i will finish pulling all that metal out and blast it and then put some POR_15 on it,we can't have any rusty parts :crap:

No turning back now....that metal has to come out and get cleaned up or you'll be kicking yourself in the arse later......ain't it just fun:clobbered:

No turning back now....that metal has to come out and get cleaned up or you'll be kicking yourself in the arse later......ain't it just fun:clobbered:

More fun than a broken leg :crutches: but yes any thing i can take off the car and clean up and paint or put some POR-15 on it,is coming off.

It's taken me 3 days to get it this far but i have at least 5 months to get it done. My other planned goal is to take the head light assy's apart and powder coat all the parts and replace all the little bushings.

For what I can see, you will have to use a builder primer in those areas where a lot of paint was taken off, You have a mountain to climb, If you have a painter friend, have him look it over before you start priming, that way you won't be going backwards on filling different areas to get it all flat, There are different grades of filler primer and dryers, I'm sure you know this? I'd say you have just scratched it so far,, Happy arms are to come. Hve fun.