Anyone seen this rear suspension mod before?

rtj

Anyone seen this rear suspension mod before?

Basically raising the trailing arm pivot.

IMG_1209_2.jpg

Thats more than a rear suspension mod. Not really sure what was done to the kickups/TA pivot?

Thats more than a rear suspension mod. Not really sure what was done to the kickups/TA pivot?

I measured my frame to pivot hole, it's about 1.25 in. You can see that in the first photo, on the inside. It has a tab over it on the outside.

Here's about 200 photos of his rebuild of an old race car.
http://www.tropiczoneracing.com/1972-Vintage-Race-Corvette.htm

He raised the rear and shock mounts accordingly.

I just wondered if this was a common way to lower a race car. Lots of people raise the diff and shock mount, I haven't seen a raised pivot.

I've seen/heard about that before, I think it was in discussions here and I believe also mentioned in one or another of the old Hugh (edit: Herb) Adams, Greenwood or Chevy Power Manual papers. It is to reduce front end dive on hard braking & rear end squat on acceleration and thus handling problems due to weight transfer & suspension geometry changes, etc. It is done not to lower the car, but to correct the T-arm angle when the car has been lowered. It is a similar and complementary mod to raising the diff to correct strut rod (edit: I mean axle) angles.

Last edited:
I've seen/heard about that before, I think it was in discussions here and I believe also mentioned in one or another of the old Hugh Adams, Greenwood or Chevy Power Manual papers. It is to reduce front end dive on hard braking & rear end squat on acceleration and thus handling problems due to weight transfer & suspension geometry changes, etc. It is done not to lower the car, but to correct the T-arm angle when the car has been lowered. It is a similar and complementary mod to raising the diff to correct strut rod angles.

Makes sense, never saw or heard of it before.

When I do my frame, I might add an extra pivot location.

Lots of good info/ideas at that site.

that was done for a better anti squat geometry on a most likely severely lowered car.

Those big notches...only time I have seen those was with either a 5 link or double a arm setup

that was done for a better anti squat geometry on a most likely severely lowered car.

Those big notches...only time I have seen those was with either a 5 link or double a arm setup

Thanks, good info!

I'm studying his "rebuild" photos, but don't think I'll go that extreme (lift off body, dry sump, etc.).

A coupole of quick points/items...
1. The Diff does look like it has been raised. As TT mentioned, "... a severly lowered car..." The cross member in the first pic above is non-stock (hah - go figure!) and looks like the diff is at least 1/2 -- or maybe 1 or 2 inches higher than with the stock crossmember. [NOTE: I didn't review the 200+ pics - there maybe beter detail there.]

2. Shameless plug for my "Jim's Giovanni" that I have up for sale. It will be a "Black Friday-like" pricing - but would take me a few days to put the prices & package details together. PM me if you might have an interest. Some details here: http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7705&highlight=Jim's+Giovanni

Pretty complete package - new dual mount composite spring, modified crossmember for the upper control arm mounts, trailing arms (powdercoated black) with johnny joint mods - and new bearings all set up with Van Steel, adapter setup for the TAs , etc. A variety of heims, and arms and nuts and bolts. And best of all; I'll go as low as 1/2 price on the slip joint setup half shafts! Shipping won't be cheap - but we can deal.​

BTW: Lift off body not so hard - -- if you remove the birdcage - if you dont - UGHH its heavy! Nose and tail are easy-peasy.

Cheers - Jim

A coupole of quick points/items...
1. The Diff does look like it has been raised. As TT mentioned, "... a severly lowered car..." The cross member in the first pic above is non-stock (hah - go figure!) and looks like the diff is at least 1/2 -- or maybe 1 or 2 inches higher than with the stock crossmember. [NOTE: I didn't review the 200+ pics - there maybe beter detail there.]

2. Shameless plug for my "Jim's Giovanni" that I have up for sale. It will be a "Black Friday-like" pricing - but would take me a few days to put the prices & package details together. PM me if you might have an interest. Some details here: http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7705&highlight=Jim's+Giovanni

Pretty complete package - new dual mount composite spring, modified crossmember for the upper control arm mounts, trailing arms (powdercoated black) with johnny joint mods - and new bearings all set up with Van Steel, adapter setup for the TAs , etc. A variety of heims, and arms and nuts and bolts. And best of all; I'll go as low as 1/2 price on the slip joint setup half shafts! Shipping won't be cheap - but we can deal.​

BTW: Lift off body not so hard - -- if you remove the birdcage - if you dont - UGHH its heavy! Nose and tail are easy-peasy.

Cheers - Jim

Interesting thread. Not really in the market for a 5 link right now. I have a lot of welding that needs to be done first. Been focused on the house/acreage the last year.

One thing I don't like is how the door bars were done, sort of overkill on the vertical parts. But, it was how he bought it, so I understand him leaving it alone.

Great resource for me ( and others).

go to the link in post #4 and take a close look at the steering relay rod in the t-arm pic, inner tie rod attachment point relocated on top of the relay rod to reduce or eliminate bump steer

Okay, thanks good info. I'll probably do two locations for the TA pivot, stock and raised, when I'm doing the frame.

I found his videos on YouTube then found his photos. Not many people document that thoroughly.

Here's one of his videos (already posted in the misc racing video thread).

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7keBD8DXY[/ame]

For sake of discussion, it appears the Legendary Motorsport Corvette has this raised pivot mod.

image_10.jpg

If I could find the episode, could probably see more detail.

Klutt ended up putting some sheetmetal over the pivot point to (try) and hide what he did, I don`t know exactly where but some years ago the kid with the yellow 73/74 posted some spy shots of Klutt`s suspension on here

klutt5.jpg

Looks like he moved it up and forward. I imagine he increased the length of the TA.