Plastic Fantastic 2

Strippers

So I bought some stripper
93TPe52.jpg
D0cAUji.jpg
jScZQpa.jpg
dMChG8h.jpg

and I honestly think that this stuff couldn't get the cootie off a stripper let alone paint off a Corvette.... time to find Aircraft stripper....

i used the air craft stripper from the auto parts store made by clean strip it was ok.....you may need to make the shop warm for it to work effectively, it didnt like cold weather

yeah, and it's potentially going to snow this weekend (which is really bad news for those in the east who aren't done with our last snow storm).
a bit more sanding
before
h0lz1Cg.jpg
QsX819e.jpg
during - someday I will find out what those 'stripping' wheels are good for.... usually they simply create a lot of debris but no real stripping, this time... too much
sjtAiAs.jpg

80 grit
iiVwezg.jpg
hmmm... it does raise the dust
ouU7aCE.jpg

​​​​​​​

i used the air craft stripper from the auto parts store made by clean strip it was ok.....you may need to make the shop warm for it to work effectively, it didnt like cold weather

I tried aircraft stripper on some basecoat/clearcoat. It took the clear off no problem but didn't touch the basecoat.

As much as I'd love to keep boxes like this around - there just isn't the room.... Buick seems okay with it
frOUNDh.jpg
remove bolts
k2iuzZc.jpg
try fitting for real... ugh
7KoNkP2.jpg

better
p55eJKR.jpg
if anyone is curious who made itedited
sK21obH.jpg
notsobetter - I solved this with heat.... pictures tomorrow.
RrPlG0t.jpg

oh you must be kidding me - need to drill out the support to 5/16
g57rqVO.jpg

they suggest hood pins.... I have hood pins
g6THEyB.jpg

schnazzy, no?
dkiKHAi.jpg
gcWCCw5.jpg
I'd love to move it closer to the windshield but the pins would go straight through the wiper pivot
bOZ2kLB.jpg

wonder how much faster it would be if I turned them to flow with the wind?
u9eH1of.jpg

onto other issues.... non-adherence of the fenderedited
rPg8TbR.jpg

cut, glue, clamp fixeded
w2kv7GF.jpg

WGBQ0BW.jpg

time to work on the nose - now that I have the hood, I can make all of this solid
eU7hH8s.jpg

and spent some time getting the last of the paint off with aircraft remover (you can't see the aircraft so clearly it's worked)
dLRCEdH.jpg
verse 2
JxNF4BR.jpg
and the sail panels
kcIeRr1.jpg
BqQdzDY.jpg
​​​​​​​
things that puzzle - why would you only seal up the driver's side?edited
tPB8uJu.jpg

sanded a bit today
ZTDr3wn.jpg
then spent quality time looking for door bolts
then worked a few minutes on the front.... I have the actuators coming so maybe I can get this buttoned up
​​​​​​​rmxw7EC.jpg

more steps... time to figure out the angles and pull the buckets out
9UehKFi.jpg
Ospp8Oq.jpg

next day or so I'll be using those measurements to put the projection lights in
iJ4sBid.jpg
9JxdooY.jpg
now big, gaping grill hole
hqvUuxh.jpg

I know it seems soon to buy these, but I need to do whatever bracing - that means hole drilling, something I hate doing in new paint
Va3Ipr1.jpg

cringe - I suspect these will be the Waterloo of the lights - because it is exposed to the elements
WO9MWJ8.jpg

I like, a lot
D6BOnmc.jpg

I did try to get it off without damage, but alas, no
jnYPY5Q.jpg

I didn't damage the door, though, and that's a win
uqRPLr8.jpg

put the doors back on to re-set the gaps
tq5xMkM.jpg
​​​​​​​0fDpes4.jpg

I got pretty close, a bit of tuning then the doors can come back off to finish stripping and do whatever the decision will be about widening this area
gWXrYTQ.jpg

the gap is gone
JIzPG8I.jpg

I ran out of time, so it's not really fully on and lined up
oxHCRzt.jpg

I think those led turn lights are made for the metal factory buckets (the correct name escapes me) which should have a gasket.

Your documentation makes me dread when I get to the point to do my car.

I think those led turn lights are made for the metal factory buckets (the correct name escapes me) which should have a gasket.

they do, but Custom Image Corvette designed the rear panel to be without the light buckets - otherwise it would stick out past the flush panel.... I don't disagree with them, anyone who goes to this level of work and cost has both garage and motive to keep it out of the wet.... thus, I probably should have put these words "I'm concerned, however, that concern is fairly low"

the tire on the back of this is nearly 14 inches wide and has DOT lines on it, I get in the rain and I'll have far more keep my attention ;)

onto tonight's update.

door handles - ugh
zOK6DRY.jpg

whoa, pretty straight
3aEjrJr.jpg

and this is where I got stopped - there's a clip on the bottom that is not coming off - so rather then go with my next solution that involved a large, hole saw.... I stopped
WLGaApq.jpg
TCF9c4w.jpg

shiny new parts - actuators
a7e5Kem.jpg

anyway, that's all for nowedited

they do, but Custom Image Corvette designed the rear panel to be without the light buckets - otherwise it would stick out past the flush panel.... I don't disagree with them, anyone who goes to this level of work and cost has both garage and motive to keep it out of the wet.... thus, I probably should have put these words "I'm concerned, however, that concern is fairly low"

the tire on the back of this is nearly 14 inches wide and has DOT lines on it, I get in the rain and I'll have far more keep my attention ;)

onto tonight's update.

Thanks, I really didn't want to state the obvious, but glad I did. I think I'll use duntov fia flares (if I ever do another) after watching your CIC install.

Looking really good now, glad you are posting here as your thread on CF really overloads my iPhone.

I like the CIC flares better, but for the money I think they could be vastly better. For the record, Josh Powers swears they are a lot better now... his business is growing so I suspect they are.

With that said, I'm so tempted to do a carbon fiber overlay and build another car off the result once these are done... I bet it'd look pretty sweet.

abrcadabra it's off...... how, I have no flippin clue
NKCSmsl.jpg

shiney new part
0i4GMDV.jpg
P8bD6Yb.jpg

experimenting with fitment
FNUELgF.jpg

I had this metal from last time I built an adapter
QABM1CD.jpg
3X10Isc.jpg
too tall.... don't have 1/8" stainless
TalNNd9.jpg

onto the next step of the process
uIUq80x.jpg
I turned the bracket over to lower it - it's pretty close to where it needs to be
ju9gQAb.jpg
​​​​​​​next up will be fabrication brackets.

we will see if this works - I ordered a 2013 SS Camaro rear axle assembly with Brembo brakes... hero or chump time coming soon to a Plastic Fantastic near me.