383 R and R

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
First, just a moment of remembrance for those lost on this infamous day...
May no one suffer such an indignity ever again...

I've been away for a while, waiting to get my ducks in a row so I can get the engine rebuilt. Well that day is here. The 383 that I had built and installed years ago ran great and produced 1/4 mile times easily in the 12's but it always smoked just a bit too much. A leak down test revealed #1, 6 and 8 cylinders and rings failed to seat properly. Today the engine and trans were removed. Later this week the motor is being transported to our friends garage the next town over and the tear down and rebuild will be done there. I know it isn't true unless I have pictures to back it up, so here goes.

Exhaust system came out first

100_2382_zpsewwmrqp2.jpg

Transmission

100_2383_zpsscxrubcv.jpg

Engine

100_2385_zpsrgxmm8ze.jpg

This is the third time I am R & R'ing the engine in this car. Let's hope that the third time is a charm.

This is the third time I am R & R'ing the engine in this car. Let's hope that the third time is a charm.

:rofl: My engine has been apart and together more than the pistons go up and down....over the last 21 years now.....

First, just a moment of remembrance for those lost on this infamous day...
May no one suffer such an indignity ever again...

I've been away for a while, waiting to get my ducks in a row so I can get the engine rebuilt. Well that day is here. The 383 that I had built and installed years ago ran great and produced 1/4 mile times easily in the 12's but it always smoked just a bit too much. A leak down test revealed #1, 6 and 8 cylinders and rings failed to seat properly. Today the engine and trans were removed. Later this week the motor is being transported to our friends garage the next town over and the tear down and rebuild will be done there. I know it isn't true unless I have pictures to back it up, so here goes.

Exhaust system came out first

100_2382_zpsewwmrqp2.jpg

Transmission

100_2383_zpsscxrubcv.jpg

Engine

100_2385_zpsrgxmm8ze.jpg

The problem may not be the rings that failed its a good possibility that the cylinders were not plate honed, wrong finish, block was bored of unsquared decks ETC.