Taurus electric fan conversion

lsejlowe

For those who are interested in the additional space and slight HP increase of an electric fan setup, but aren't too keen on spending $400, this is what you're looking for. The two speed electric fan from the 1994 to 1998 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable with the 3.8L engine are readily available at most junkyards for around $25 or less. I got mine for $20 so the guy wouldn't have to make any change :lol:

It's a 16" diameter fan and I've seen a variety of CFM ratings. The general consensus is that on low speed it pulls about 2000 CFM and on high upwards of 3500 CFM :amazed: Not too shabby for a junkyard fan. It's easy to see why this is such a popular conversion on lots of other cars from offroad rigs to hotrods. I'm surprised I've never seen one on a 'vette before. However, it can be a power hog on the high speed. Again, drawing on internet research the fans are said to draw up to 90 amps on startup of the high speed and up to a continuous 33 amps. A bit much for 10 gage wire and a 30 amp fuse, but you should be able to rely on the low speed and use the high speed only for extreme cases. Unfortunately I don't have an ammeter much less an oscilloscope to confirm or deny any of those numbers.

I mounted the fan to a 31" Tru-Kool radiator that I did an install thread about a year ago: cheap cooling sytem upgrade thread

I got some 1/8" by 1" aluminum and some 1/4" bolts and washers from Ace hardware. I bent the aluminum to make 4 brackets that wrap around the top and bottom flanges of the radiator and bolt to the fan shroud. Here's the fan with the brackets mounted up:
DSC005981.jpg

I also cut 4 slots in the shroud to get a wrench on the nyloc nut on the inside of the shroud. This makes installing/removing the fan from the radiator much easier.
DSC006012.jpg

DSC006021.jpg

So you've got the fan mounted to the radiator, now how do you make it all work? I wired mine up to use two temp switches. I put a 195* temp switch up by the radiator inlet and a 185* temp switch by the radiator exit. The 185* switch controls the low speed of the fan, the 195* switch controls the high speed. In theory, the low speed switch should kick in before the high speed switch because the water coming past the thermostat shouldn't be too much higher than 180*. Once the low speed fan has turned on it should be able to maintain enough cooling for normal conditions. The 195* high speed should be only for extreme cases. Here's the wiring diagram for such a setup:
Elec_Fan_Wiring_Diagram_-_dual_switch.JPG

However, after a little testing (more on that later) I've found that I'm better off just running the low speed fan. The fan runs less and still provides plenty of airflow through that big alum radiator. Here's a simplified diagram for just one switch:
Elec_Fan_Wiring_Diagram_-_single_switch.JPG

Don't forget to run a ground wire from the radiator to the frame. The temp switches ground through the threads, so don't use any sealant or teflon tape on there.

I got the wire and SPST from Radio Shack and the SPDT relay and most of the crimp terminals from Autozone. If I were to do it all again I'd get actual Bosch relays online since they're pretty reasonably priced.

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

Initial Reaction/Evaluation:
The 195* switch needs to be at least a 205*. It would come on all the time and run way too long after the engine is shut off. Oddly enough, it would run for maybe 30 seconds after killing the engine and then shut off. But within a few minutes it would come back on and then run for 10 to 15 minutes. At this point I just disconnected the wire going to that switch and am very happy using only the lower switch. I duct taped my multimeter to the windshield and could watch it kick on and off as I drove around the neighborhood and it stayed off most of the time I was over 55 mph.

After testing the fan for a few days it was obvious that my original alternator was not up to the task. It was getting very hot very quickly. Turns out it was only a 42 amp alternator that came on cars without A/C. I swapped it for a 100 amp Powermaster unit and have been fine since.

I did not notice any major performance increase. It's tough to compare to 3 weeks ago when I drove it last, but I'd definitely say a clutch fan in good working order is not sucking that much HP. Don't expect to see 15 HP on the dyno because you switched to an electric fan. Guys making that claim had something else wrong with their system.

All in all I'm very pleased. It cools like a champ and opens up a LOT of room in front of the engine. Also gets that finger chopper out of the way.

Last edited:
Nice install Jason :1st: where have you been hiding out lately :phone: are you planning on going to Vette week in Eureka springs next month :beer: let me know i am planning on going i reserved a room when i was there last year :idea:

Had I known about that fan being available, much less up to the job, airflow wise, I would have done that instead of my Dual Spals....thing is my radiator looks thinner than what you have, mine is a single row 1.25" tube set it is adequate for the job here in Florida, but no more....I"m good on the freeway at 90 mph, i'm good around town even off the freeway into traffic when it's hottern' hell out...make that 140f air on the pavement

I did have a 16" '87 vette fan in the factory shroud....I"M so glad that arrangement is gone just for the ROOM under there....much less the superior cooling.....

next radiator go round, if there is one for me, will be done with a double row 1.25" tube set....overheat NOW , bitch.....burn that thing in Saudi and not overheat....

:eek::hunter:

The temp switches ground through the threads, so don't use any sealant or teflon tape on there.

Good write up Jason. However, this statement is incorrect. No matter what the sealant, when wrench tight, the threads will make fine contact. :crylol:

The temp switches ground through the threads, so don't use any sealant or teflon tape on there.

Good write up Jason. However, this statement is incorrect. No matter what the sealant, when wrench tight, the threads will make fine contact. :crylol:

huh, good to know. I haven't had any leak issues yet and it's been through quite a few heat cycles, so I guess the pipe threads are doing their job. Any comments on the wiring? That's one area I'm new to and was just feeling my way through it. Seems to be working fine so far. Haven't burned any fusees or cooked the relays.

Kevin, I'm not sure about Eureka. I'll look it up to get some details and let you know. Budget is a little tight these days with Thanksgiving and Christmas travel plans, but I'll see what I can do.

Any comments on the wiring? That's one area I'm new to and was just feeling my way through it. Seems to be working fine so far. Haven't burned any fusees or cooked the relays.

The wiring design is sound. However, 30 amp fuse is too large for your #18 gauge control circuit. I would put a secondary fuse of 5 amp for there just to be safe.

On second thought, I do have one more comment. I am not familiar with the windings of that motor, however, it is common practise on a two winding motor to use two DPDT relays, and double interlock them as per your first sketch. This prevents any possibility of both windings being energized at once.:flash:

On second thought, I do have one more comment. I am not familiar with the windings of that motor, however, it is common practise on a two winding motor to use two DPDT relays, and double interlock them as per your first sketch. This prevents any possibility of both windings being energized at once.:flash:

fanschematic0001.jpg

That conversion looks great! Excellent job!

I did a little research on the unit you suggest, and so far I haven't found a picture of the one AutoZone has, but.... they show the same part number for the Tarus fan from 1990 thru 1995. The 3.8L was only available in those years. The middle years it was a more popular engine, first and last years not so popular... so not so easy to find in certain years in good condition in certain junkyards!!! The search is on.