Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

seems I forgot to mention the lathe.

I bought a Siamp lathe. Siamp is still in business-ish, this model is early 60s. It has power feed in both directions, water cooling, 14x42, gap bed, 2" through spindle, it also does metric, SAE, and whitworth (which I had no idea was a thing until I bought the lathe).

I paid $400 for it.

so plans are underway - to get the 3 phase into single phase by using a VFD. If you don't know what they are.... here's a bit of a primer - the short is they can fake the 3rd leg for 3 phase and allow you to run 3 phase on single phase power. but wait, there's more (in my best Billy Mays voice), because you now have control of the frequency, you can speed or slow the motor quite a bit with a simple dial knob, you can also program an emergency stop that uses the motor to stop the spindle, it also can reverse in 1/4 turn of the spindle.... I've seen this work and I like it so much that I'm going to change my press brake motor back to 3 phase then control it with a VFD.... so pictures

the controller on the wall

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 07-09-2018 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 07:30 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (2)

very nice..i run into whitworth stuff all the time on the British sports cars....right up to about the mid 60s.....mostly left over brake parts and unions on the 60s cars. pretty standard on the early 50s british cars and before. And slowly phased out in the late 50s. you never know what you are going to find on old British cars.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
very nice..i run into whitworth stuff all the time on the British sports cars....right up to about the mid 60s.....mostly left over brake parts and unions on the 60s cars. pretty standard on the early 50s british cars and before. And slowly phased out in the late 50s. you never know what you are going to find on old British cars.
working wiring? no rust?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (260)

$400, good deal on the lathe.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
working wiring? no rust?
Wiring?? working?? NO, prince of darkness said so......
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 AM
United States | Addict

So I had some time to fill tonight,so I worked on the Corvette
so I threw on some filler

I don't know how there managed to be a low spot here, but alas a bit of fill and all is good

it's important to note that when you fill over the door seam; you should not get too distracted otherwise problems may occur

and yes, I did cut it open in time on this side.... the otherside I was a bit late.

the distraction

powered up but I think the motor is wired for 480 and the controller is for a lower voltage - pros will answer this question tomorrow
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 AM
United States | Addict

I'm so used to winter mixes that I wasted about half a sheet of filler.... whoops

but got a few more spots done... I can really start roughing it in this week then start with the high build coats and guide coats...

again, this is filler work but every minute I spend on it is one minute less to completion...edited

and for those wondering why I'm working on the back not the front.... to get the edge, I moved the door back then when the gap follows the door seam, I'll move the door forward and have perfect gaps front and rear.... at least that's the pleasant theory I'm selling myself
Old 08-01-2018, 04:15 AM
United States | Addict

sanded on it a bit more, I need to order some high-build primeredited

I also need to finalize the door edges and for that I may have to get clever.... tbc
Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 AM
United States | Addict

time to start the car - that means I need gauges

wiring instructions... ugh

and control for the various systems

the first switch is to power the ignition, the column switch will turn on the non-engine functions.
yep, still a BBC
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 AM
United States | Addict

So I got some work done on the Corvette, however this fiberglass was jamming up my lift

it's a 818 kit car.edited it was assembled by an amateur and while it is dangerous, it also doesn't fit worth anything either.... however, this little thing is blindingly fast.edited It has a WRX motor in the back - making it a mid-engine car.edited The guy who built it bought a lot of good parts - and fortunately the builder, Factory Five (the kit builders) made it well enough that even the most amateur is safe....ish.edited Tighten bolts people... just sayin'

anyway, outside of a bit of help on that,edited

my most hated task... wiring

I need to have gauges to start it, since my lathe isn't done, I can't finish the rear install nor the front suspension.... so this is the task that is most ready to move forward

beside that, the sanding continues.
​​​​​​​