Frame Swap

00fxd

Getting started on the frame swap and I intend to upgrade to an LS engine while I'm at it.
Here are some pics of the reason I'm going for the swap. Don't know why the thing cracked all over hell like this but the replacement frame is all perimeter welded and powder coated etc.
Hope I don't run outta gas on this project - gettin lazy in my old age.
Got the front susp and steering out. Gotta get the replacement frame home.

Attachments

• Crack.JPG
    Crack.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 45
  • CrackAssembled.jpg
    CrackAssembled.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 43
  • LeftSide2.JPG
    LeftSide2.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 33
  • RightSide3.JPG
    RightSide3.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 43
  • ShockTowerCrack.jpg
    ShockTowerCrack.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 26
Hey BBShark,
I don't know, the cars up on a hoist a couple time a year. Had 2 alignments this summer trying different things. It aligned ok. Noticed the cracks the second time but not the first. I have the Vette brake mono spring [on softest setting], which I mentioned before that it is quite stiff and Bilstien sports which are also quite stiff. I wonder if that is contributing factor.

Those cracks are fairly common on later year C-3's. G.M. seems to have lightened the steel or changed the metallurgy. I can't tell from here if the steel has been compromised from rust, which can make it more prone to cracking. The suspension parts you have didn't cause these.I autocrossed my '68 for many years and have yet to find a single crack..

big_g I hadn't heard that, this is a converted 1974 frame under my '65. The replacement is a '65

That's not something that can't be repaired. You can get new panels for the whole underside of the crossmember.

Thanks Twin_Turbo, I've heard there is a company that makes those frame parts. Do you have a web site address?

Thanks Twin_Turbo, I've heard there is a company that makes those frame parts. Do you have a web site address?

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

nice like there.....bookmarked....

:beer:

Thanks, Mr Vette :)

I'm assembling a bunch of critically important links for my next project- and I'd JUST found that one.

There's also:

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4shark.html

... Depends on the budget, yes? (that reminds me, I gotta go check my lotto tickets)

That's not something that can't be repaired. You can get new panels for the whole underside of the crossmember.

At the risk of sounding like a smartass I realize you could get the new panels but why would you? The damage shows this frame is on the way out. I would repair (and have repaired) a frame that had specific issues in one section but I can't see a specific cause for that damage with the exception of material failure.

If you are not willing to modify the body for the SRIII chassis I would go with the Street Shops setup.

Rich

It's weird about this frame, the front seems to have deteriorated but the back 1/2 still looks sound. Ussually the back goes away first.
I'm off on a trip to get my replacement frame from my freind this weekend.