LS1 Swap for an 82

Dirtbuster1

How much work is there to converting to an LS1 on an 82 with a 700R4. I can get everything need to make it run ( Engine, Harness, Fans, Radiator, Exhaust, ECM ). Are there enough aftermarket parts for the swap without breaking the bank? I can get all of the above for 1800.00. How much more would I have to spend, & how many hours would be an estimate.

How much work is there to converting to an LS1 on an 82 with a 700R4. I can get everything need to make it run ( Engine, Harness, Fans, Radiator, Exhaust, ECM ). Are there enough aftermarket parts for the swap without breaking the bank? I can get all of the above for 1800.00. How much more would I have to spend, & how many hours would be an estimate.

If I remember correctly Vettsuzki did a thread on his LS1 swap. Do a search of his early posts.:beer:

Does anyone know of any sources for parts & info on the LS1 conversion . I found a lot of good info on hotrodlane. I have also read the 1 posted here also. Looks like I would have to replace the brake booster to a smaller one, & keeping the 700R4 would eliminate speedometer & VSS problems. The 4L60E would bolt in like the 700R4, but the tail end would have to be changed for the speedo. Is their a way to confiqure the ECM for the 700R4 to operate with the LS1 motor. Other concerns would be mounting the AC compressor.

I will need to have a solid plan & help to make this transformation.

Thanks

Last edited:
With a helpfull nudge from TT, I have decided to move on with the LS1 conversion. Adding a TPI unit on the motor will not net much gain in HP. Cost will also be very close if I watch the budget. Any help from my fellow forum members for advice & availability of parts would be helpful info for the swap. I have located the motor, harness, & all of the acces. needed for the motor.

I need to verify the info needed on the 4L60E transmission to match the ECM. Sounds like I will maybe have the tranny custom built to have a driven speedometer gear. I have located a 99 model. I know I saw a compatability page somewhere, but I can't find it any longer.

The engine will be a 98 LS1 out of an F-Body. Looks like that will be the best choice for the oil pan clearing. Motor mounts adapters seem to be easily found. Being a 98 engine, I might want to update the cam before I get it installed in the car. I know the newer models have more HP with different cams.

One problem that I can't find much info on is the AC location that will clear everything. That's not a show stopper, but it would be nice to have.

The brake booster seems to be another unknown. Several conversions have it being replaced by a smaller one. I need more info to confirm.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am also planning for this conversion. I installed a tbi system on my Corvette a couple of years ago to get my feet wet with all this FI stuff. That is a great price for a complete LS1. The LS1 oil pan from an F body is the one to use I understand. Wasn't there an update for the '98 oil pump? What style of vss does the set up use? Will you recieve a plug and play aftermarket harness or will you modify the original harness [doable], I modified mine. Will you need to re-flash the ecm if you change cam? Here is a link for some reading, there are some others as well. I will post them as I think of them.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488097
This will be a great swap - go for it!
Frank.

I am also planning for this conversion. I installed a tbi system on my Corvette a couple of years ago to get my feet wet with all this FI stuff. That is a great price for a complete LS1. The LS1 oil pan from an F body is the one to use I understand. Wasn't there an update for the '98 oil pump? What style of vss does the set up use? Will you recieve a plug and play aftermarket harness or will you modify the original harness [doable], I modified mine. Will you need to re-flash the ecm if you change cam? Here is a link for some reading, there are some others as well. I will post them as I think of them.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488097
This will be a great swap - go for it!
Frank.

Frank,

There are a lot of unknowns for me at this time. The oil pump is something I will need to check out. The VSS will depend on which tranny I decide to go with. If I keep the 700R4, I will pick it up off of the current VSS. Going with the 4L60E I will either have to convert the tailshaft for a speedo gear, or either modify my speedometer in my current cluster. I will probably use the GM harness & modify it as needed. The ECM will probably have to be reprogrammed to remove the VATS system anyway. I have a lot of research to do before I start bolting anything in. I will probably pick up the motor tommorow, & go from there. I will try and keep the post updated as I go. I fiqure somewhere around 3 months without pushing it to hard. Jump in and let's knock this out together. Two heads are better than one!

Herb

Herb. My 700-R has a shift kit in it that does the lock-up hydraulically. No wiring at all.
As for the booster, install a hydroboost unit. Problem solved.
A vintage air unit would give you all the room you need.

I used a T56 6 speed. I was at one time considering just keeping my 700R4. I'll have to dig through my email to find the particulars be here's what I remember off the top of my head.

The parts you'll need are minimial in cost (<$100) from the dealer. That's like flex plate, bolts, and I think some kind of an adapter but that's about it. I *think* you can use the same bell housing, but you'll use one less bolt.

You will be able to keep your driveshaft (I was when switching to a T56 and LS bellhousing, gotta love GM for compatibility).

You'll use a kickdown setup like on a late model F body. This I don't know much about.

Tach
The LS1 computer sends a 4-cyl type tach signal. You'll either need to split the signal or use an aftermarket tach.

Speedo
As I recall, the 82' had a mechanical Speedo (to 85, which is pretty funny actually). You'll either need an aftermarket speed or get a (rather expensive) box to convert the electrical signal to a mechanical.

You can keep your A/C pretty easily, but you'll need an aftermarket bracket. Getting heat requires tapping the WP in non-standard locations. I haven't done it yet. Obviously you'll have to plumb your PS to the LS PS.

Take out the motr and trans as a unit. Since you're sticking with the stock 700R4, I don't believe you'll need to do anything to the cross member (T56 requires modification.)

Here's the thread on my conversion. ls1z28 did the actual real work and is an encyclopedia of GM knowledge.

Estimate of hours on total conversion of LS1 w/ 700R4 w/computer harness depends heavily on your background, skill and resources. I'd say anywhere from 36-100.

While the motor is out would be a good time do a leak down test, throw on a heads and cam package, you know, the usual. :) See my sig for the current state of my Vette. Brutal has been left in my wake a couple times.:stirpot:

Last edited:
Yes the engine will bolt directly to the bellhousing less the one bolt. I haven't checked into automatic stuff, flexplates, kickdowns etc. because I will be staying with the manual shift. I just recalled that yes the heater hoses come out directly at the right upper control arm cross shaft. You will have to right angle the outlets from the engine, a bit of a trick I understand. As I said, I modified my harness. There are lots of wiring diagrams for the "7747" ecm that I used floating around on the 'net so that helped a lot. You will need to become proficient with the newer weatherpac terminals used today. I like wireing so it wasn't too big a deal for me. Not much for special tools. In my area there is an automotive electrical line called "Pico" - they had all of the correct terminals that I needed. GM doesn't carry too much I found. There was another site that I referred to that gave excellent hints and directions on re-pinning. I will try and find it. Yes you will have to re-flash to get rid of the vats so you may as well swap cams if you want. Re-flashing is sure coming down in price. Now get over there and grab that engine....

Update,

Thanks for all of the encouragement & info. I just got through unloading the engine, transmission, ECM, harness, flywheel, dual fans, radiator, fuel tank with pump, exhaust, & air parts. I picked this all up for 2K. The 4L60E transmission will have to have the bellhousing changed, but that should not be a problem. Here are some pics.

Should I buy an 98 SM for info on the engine & swap? I want to have a solid plan when I start installing everything.

25249076495961ef.jpg

25249076498e6b10.jpg

2524907649b08886.jpg

2524907649dc2144.jpg

252490764a2bd375.jpg

252490764a44d8b0.jpg

252490764a9989c0.jpg

Update,
The 4L60E transmission will have to have the bellhousing changed, but that should not be a problem.

Should I buy an 98 SM for info on the engine & swap? I want to have a solid plan when I start installing everything.................

Herb,
Why will you ned to change the bellhousing?.

I wouldn't buy a service manual for the car but if you did I would bet that you would refer to it more than once

This week on Hot Rod TV they bought a junkyard LQ4 [6.0L, cast iron block truck engine] with harness and ecm. Al they did to it was ball hone, re-ring and bearings, timing set and oil pump. They just checked the heads with varsol for leaks at the seats. One seat seeped a bit - that was OK, they didn't dis-assemble the heads to check the guides or anything else.
Frank.

Last edited:
Herb, long as that 4L60e fits a chebby bell pattern, it's my understanding, it's supposed to bolt up....

second off, you are aware the entire accessory drive setup is about useless, I presume......the comp/alt/pump all in the rong location because of the A arms.... about only thing you can use is the crank/w-p pulleys ..... the w/pump outputs on the pass side need modded to be either blocked off or turned 90* to avoid that same suspension parts.... The engine mounts are available cheep enough, not worth fabbing them up....

overall, I"m jealous of you project there,.....do not fall into the trap of spending some K buck or so on some damn harness setup you don't need.....

also have to be able to solder wires, and properly insulate and plan computer location inside the car, IMO, I could care less what GM does, electronics don't belong in the engine compartment.....heat and humidity is a killer of all things electronic/electrical....

:drink:

Last edited:
I just looked at a photo in one of the Vette magazines, the alternator and power steering pump as well as the AC compressor all seems to fit the way it is right now.
You do not need the AIR and EGR junk, get a programmer and delete these codes. You have the complete harness ?

This swap is (according to those who've done it) so easy - I should have done it too..... :cool:

I just looked at a photo in one of the Vette magazines, the alternator and power steering pump as well as the AC compressor all seems to fit the way it is right now.
You do not need the AIR and EGR junk, get a programmer and delete these codes. You have the complete harness ?

This swap is (according to those who've done it) so easy - I should have done it too..... :cool:

You sure?? I can't see how....those accessories will hit the a arms in a shark....I just popped the hood on my car, a normal 350 as you know....and I can't see any accessories on any V8 engine being positioned on a stock bellhousing/firewall spacing in rear, and having clearance to get those accessories to clear that suspension.....

Can you post the pix you referr to???

:bonkers:

Didn't Vettezuki drop one of these in his Vette?

Yes, but I can't remember the threads, and so they have had to use some specific stock acc. drives off maybe a vette or F body, I forget....

but I can't see how in hell they can have those down lo with the suspension there....that LS would have to be shorter than my pecker to do that....

:clobbered:

I talked with the local GM Parts guy today about the 4L60E. This tranny is used in V6 & V8 models. It is a 2 piece with a bellhousing. I will have to get the bellhousing for the V8 that matches the LS1. All accesseries will fit with the exception of the AC. I will have to install my old unit to match the 82 system. I was told that the 98 AC is a climate control that is not compatable with the 82.There is a good thread on a 82 done by a customer for S & P. ( hotrodlane.cc )

I have the harness intact with one damaged wire to the oil level sensor. There is not an airpump that I see to remove. I removed all the bolt on's tonight to prepare the block for a good inspection. Will finish cleaning tomorrow to determine if I want to try and polish all of the aluminum. Vettesuzku I think did do the swap. Good info from that thread. The service manual I hope will give me all of the needed specs, inspection, & related info that will come in handy. I will have to have the ECM reprogrammed to remove the VATS & other changes that I might make. I might need to find another harnness to control by dual fans to intergrate with my existing 82 harnness.

I don't think that I will tear the motor down to refresh unless I find something in the oil when I drain it tommorrow. I was told it was running fine. The good thing is I have access to any additional parts the guy I bought it from has, to complete the swap at no charge. When removing everything tonight I noticed that all of the bolts were aluminum. I might have to get some extras for the additional bolt on's.

Anyway thanks for all of the input & support. I want start pulling my engine until I have the LS1 ready to drop in. I don't want to rush anything at this point. At least the weather is going to be nice while making the switch.