68-72 Energy suspension bushings.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
15 years ago I put in a set of UI and LI controll arm bushings from Energy Suspension....what I don't recall is.....I know I pressed their outer shells into place on the arms....obviously....question is....does that urethane center come out of the outer metal shell rather easy?? or do I have to take the whole damn mess apart again to change the outer shells again.....

rather do this easy way, but for the money I going to put in rubber IF I have to pull that whole effing mess apart.....

anyone???:crap::fishing::surrender:

Gene,
You will have to remove the inner sleeve and then romove the bushing. The outer shell stays pressed in the arm.
Mike

Gene,
You will have to remove the inner sleeve and then romove the bushing. The outer shell stays pressed in the arm.
Mike

Anyone ever do it on any car?? if so, I will spend the bux for the replacement bushings....but if I have to pull this all apart again....well, I may as well go with the rubber I have already bought....cheeper....I dunno how I can control that lower arm when I pop that bushing outta there though....if it's going to shift on my so that I cant get the new one in there.....sorta nervous about the pass side uppers too, what with the a/c and the clearances to the fans....PIA....

:flash:

I just did it in the car last week. It was very easy, make sure it's lubed up and the new one taps in easy with a hammer.

BTW, if it's still under warranty, Energy will most likely ship you a new bushing(s) for free. They shipped me a replacement, just had to scan a copy of my Summit receipt.

I just did it in the car last week. It was very easy, make sure it's lubed up and the new one taps in easy with a hammer.

BTW, if it's still under warranty, Energy will most likely ship you a new bushing(s) for free. They shipped me a replacement, just had to scan a copy of my Summit receipt.

Well, looks like E S done made a sale of bushings.....I way in hell tooo lazy to pull all that crap out, even though I have rubber bushings already to go for replacement....thinking of softer ride....lotsa speed bumps around this hood....

anyone any comments on just how rumble strips and speed bumps are on the differant bushings and ride????

worth the battle?? or not???

I have 360 R, and 460 F and Bilsteins all around....stock suspension with worn out urethane in there now...

verdict gents>>>> please....

:stirpot::crutches:

Ok, here's Energy Suspension's number 888 913 6374.:sos:

Ok, here's Energy Suspension's number 888 913 6374.:sos:

Thanks Glen, I was on the phone with them this AM, and got the local dist on it...but needs ordered....hense all my inquiries about which a way to go with this mess.....

:stirpot::fishing:

I didn't feel a difference in ride, just a difference in handling. But the poly bushings do get squeaky.

I didn't feel a difference in ride, just a difference in handling. But the poly bushings do get squeaky.

I did a little mod to my ES bushings with a Dremel tool. I cut a groove in the ID of the bushing for grease, then drilled and tapped the outer shells and installed grease zerks.. No chance of a squeak..

I did a little mod to my ES bushings with a Dremel tool. I cut a groove in the ID of the bushing for grease, then drilled and tapped the outer shells and installed grease zerks.. No chance of a squeak..

I've seen pics of that before, was it you that posted the pics on DC?

Do you remember that suspension noise that I had on the DC cruise? I was looking underneath my car outside of the BBQ joint... It was a lower control arm bushing that fell out!!! I drove around for months before I figured it out. I used thread locker this time.

That was me. I had posted the pics on DC. If anyone here wants them, I can post them here too.. Let me know.

That was me. I had posted the pics on DC. If anyone here wants them, I can post them here too.. Let me know.

Yeh, would you?? do you know if I can get them outta there with the arms in place....?? looking for someone who has actually done it...I suppose I can do the uppers, but maybe not enough room...

i'ts the lowers that have my butt in a bind....not sure how to manage that spring, and :sos::sos::suicide:

If you do one at a time you wont have to, just use a jack for stability. It should pry out with a flat head if you're just taking the bushing out of the cup. And the new one should just tap in, if it's lubed up. I had to tug on the wheel to keep the toe in place so the bushing would slide in... that's all.

You got it. I drilled the shell, thru to the center of the bushing after I installed the shell. Slid the poly bushing in, then drilled thru it and then took a burr and cut a shallow groove all around the ID. I had to cut the end off the zerks so the bushing would slide back in.

2348a233bfaf262.jpg

2348a233bf28df9.jpg

Don't be afraid of the spring- just be careful. Think thru the process. Drop a dog chain thru the spring, pop the ball joint out and then lower the jack. You might need a spring compressor to get the springs back in because of the length. Depends on what springs are in your car.