recently re-restored vintage racer

redvetracr

as I understand it this car was restored by the former head fabricator at Dream Car garage (the guy who probably did all the work Peter Klutt took credit for on his two cars)...look for lots of neat tweaks some subtle and some not...I`m not a fan of coupes but this is a nice one.............enjoy...it`s also for sale!

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/uu201/L72425/

I see a bunch of stuff, first the lower arms have screw or press in ball joints (hard to tell, willing to bet they're screw in) and the position is moved from stock.
The whole spindle, steering arm and caliper bracket look to be a fabricated deal, too bad we can't see it.

The steering box is an internal assist type also.

Obviously it has a custom square stock fabricated center link. It uses keys in slots, where you can change the keys to change the hole location.

Nice to see attention to detail, like the big holes in the door hinges to save weight.

It has a jeep box with the adapter brackets…not what I would expect.
Nice detailed pictures…too bad it's a coupe.

Last edited:
Obviously it has a custom square stock fabricated center link. It uses keys in slots, where you can change the keys to change the hole location.

I believe the "slugs" change roll center...notice no trans mount? Interesting the owner of the car was one of Peter Klutts most outspoken critics.....

The roll center is not affected by those slugs, they are used to change the bumps teer characteristics. The roll center is a factor of the susension geimetry (instantaneous center and car centerline), not the steering setup.

The car uses the entire floor to mount the transmission, there's simply a short bolt in crossmember for the tranny. Many 80s and up unibody cars with welded on subframes are like that. I have it set up one mine in much the same way.

You can see it here:
249b7b7754ef2e.jpg

See the bolt going in sideways? There's another one on the other side and possible also some running vertical. That short crossemember ties the 2 sides of the floor frame together and golds the transmission.

I agree that it's kind of a shoddy install of that jeep box, with all the fabrication done to that car, surely they could have modified the frame to position the box lower/in a more favorable location.

Back in the early 70's attending the AP,BP races, the corvettes sure didnt look like that or have the tech that these so called vintage racers have now. How much has the engine been moved back and down?

However, I did enjoy looking at it, a well prepared car. Wouldnt call it vintage. The decals are right.

Last edited:
I saw the trans mount crossmember removed and the "wings" on the bellhousing used as a rear mount, I was just commenting considering this is a supposed to be a vintage prepared car, and I (who look at every car available) have never seen a crossmember removed completely in a vintage car. It`s a well prepared car but a little "overkill" in the fabrication department...Adjustable suspension is a wonderful thing IF your sharp enough to make correct adjustments...that said, "NOTHING is adjustable on my car"...the former Nissan GTP engineer who built that real pretty black 64 told me that centerlink was very heavy, he has one but wasn`t going to use it, he is the guy who first welded the eyes on top of a standard Corvette centerlink to alter the bumpsteer, it worked out very well on the white 63 he built, it went very fast and won quite a few races.....

Yeah, very little vintage there, however if you look at the frames of those Greenwood cars back then, they have even more mods. Are they considered vintage?

Yeah, very little vintage there, however if you look at the frames of those Greenwood cars back then, they have even more mods. Are they considered vintage?

yes but...they wouldn`t race in the same class/group this car or mine would race in, the BFG T/A radial cars yes, the wide-bodies no. they would be racing against the ex SCCA tube frame cars, turbo Porsches and the GTP cars. I see the point of that centerlink on a NASCAR style stock car, they are on different degree banking tracks each week but whats the point of a bumpsteer adjustable centerlink on a vintage road racer?

huh? Why? :confused:

Sarcasm ;)

It weights 2900 or 3000 depending on if it's a 427 or 454.

Was he racing SVRA? He has the cage going in front of the front suspension and his bird cage is mounted to the frame.

Last edited:
huh? Why? :confused:

Sarcasm ;)

It weights 2900 or 3000 depending on if it's a 427 or 454.

Was he racing SVRA? He has the cage going in front of the front suspension and his bird cage is mounted to the frame.

"supposed to weight".....first add #150 for the trans and now consider that the SVRA rarely weights anyone anymore and the HSR never did.