C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

for what it's worth, the minor weight savings of aluminum compared to the non-reactive attributes of stainless. My napkin math says the stainless tank would be 50 lbs vs. 35 lbs for aluminum... if you really want to be good forever, 316 2b (what they use for tables in science labs).... hmmm, now I'm thinking about building mine out of it too - my first step is finish my plasma table.

truly just my 2 cents, if it helps, cool, if not never mind me :suspicious:

It does help... 15 lbs is alot!! this never crossed my mind until right now but my (hard) fuel lines are aluminum also. Going to have to do some research about all of this now...

I was going to edit this yesterday - it's 44 lbs rather then 50, aluminum was the same.... but I get the weight thing. I bicycle and we spend a lot more money then I'm willing to admit chasing ounces.

Small update but took me about 20 ft of tubing to get these two right... And Im still not 100% happy with how they came out but whatever... Im dying to get this frame off to paint so I can do final assembly
DD05667E-AEE7-49BA-9423-B269DDF07EA0_zps3wn9wwsz.jpg

69B96B2C-2583-4E7A-B4FB-0A5B85C5DB6B_zpsx7ducrbt.jpg

You make them tight enough, you could lose the floor. But, 1/4" probably not strong enough.

Looks good.

Thanks!
Im short so I need the extra height from the stock floors still :lol:

I was going to edit this yesterday - it's 44 lbs rather then 50, aluminum was the same.... but I get the weight thing. I bicycle and we spend a lot more money then I'm willing to admit chasing ounces.

Ive had three years of not working on this project to think about where I can save weight but still have it be a comfortable street car (hah) Ill never forgive myself If I didnt extract every once of unnecessary weight while I had the chance. Crazy? yes. Will all of this make a noticeable difference? likely not. Will I sleep better at night knowing that I saved 2 ounces by having some extra holes drilled into my Dzus fastener plates? you betcha! :bounce:

Last edited:

Ive had three years of not working on this project to think about where I can save weight but still have it be a comfortable street car (hah) Ill never forgive myself If I didnt extract every once of unnecessary weight while I had the chance. Crazy? yes. Will all of this make a noticeable difference? likely not. Will I sleep better at night knowing that I saved 2 ounces by having some extra holes drilled into my Dzus fastener plates? you betcha! :bounce:

:clap:

no, not crazy at all. of course, this inmate telling you that you're not insane is probably a bit suspect .... the last road bike I built weighed 15.7 lbs and cost more then $12,000 dollars. Granted, it was insurance dollars to replace the last bike that someone hated enough to run over (with me on it) - as I said, I may not be the best judge of sanity :1st:

Most of my belly pan tabs are complete, fuel line pass through is complete, got all of my line clamp holes drilled and tapped. I think Im ready to tear it down and send out for blasting and paint! Im going to look at it for a few more days in hopes I can remember something that Im definitely forgetting to do

38D9FC2A-8B3A-49DE-9F95-590E18567863_zpss6gd6iwb.jpg

5B06C103-E356-433C-86A5-707C88FD2BF5_zpsrhmtsyr4.jpg

Last edited:
it looks great.....as for looking at it the only thing i can think of is to look for all cross bracing tabs and full welding of the frame. it looks really good. all spots for seat belts and roll bars figured out and tabs ready? its hard to imagine you missed anything

it looks great.....as for looking at it the only thing i can think of is to look for all cross bracing tabs and full welding of the frame. it looks really good. all spots for seat belts and roll bars figured out and tabs ready? its hard to imagine you missed anything

Im going to finish welding the frame rails (really only the side rails are left of the stock frame :D ) after the sand blast. Was getting way too much weld contamination with rust and grime inbetween the two frame halves. Roll cage mounts are welded and threaded in, seatbelts will mount to the cage. Thanks!!

Do you have the mounts for the new gas tank welded in?

The tank is still in design stage and Im impatient... my builder has some cool ideas that *should* need minimal changes (if any) to the original frame rails. I still have to weld on the front coilover/cage hoops too, which has to be done with the body on (ie:frame painted) anyway, so Im ok with grinding and welding after it starts going back together.

Getting very close to final assembly! Got the last parts back from powdercoat, Picking up the frame from the bodyshop tomorrow morning. While waiting, I detailed and painted what I could.

Removed all the casting seams and radiused (sp?) some of the sharp edges. Painted silver, and had the swaybar bracket powdercoated black
020C6904-6FCA-49F0-9E8A-DBA204D353C0_zps7rtc3oaj.jpg

Control arms powdercoated
74C01E5A-3BEF-4A0C-B322-DE536FC4181C_zpsza9yirvv.jpg

Hard to get a picture that represents the chassis color well... it looks slightly more gray than the photos show. Bumper brackets, chassis and firewall will be this color
A805FBB1-EE9E-4CE5-B62A-5CFDC6A7DCF2_zpscw45xlhj.jpg

Diff painted with Energy Suspension poly bushings installed
E1CE7D80-42B2-49D1-B5DE-744A62ADFC19_zpse0ojj2h5.jpg
B577E34B-CAE3-437F-974E-CBF0F7D2848B_zps89uxhz0s.jpg

SKF rear wheel bearings/hubs were modified by DMP fab for 5/8 wheelstuds to match the front TrackStar hubs. They should be here shortly along with the final production StopTech caliper brackets :bounce:

Last edited:
very nice....whats in the tabs on the cross member? they almost look like brass inserts or something like that.

is the frame grey or white?

very nice....whats in the tabs on the cross member? they almost look like brass inserts or something like that.

is the frame grey or white?

Thank you
The brass looking things are the springs for the dzus fasteners to mount the belly pan.

large.jpg

The frame is a 90's Volvo color with some extra gray tinting... It looks very white in photos, and in reality it is more white than the NASCAR gray I was going for but its grown on me and the more I look at it the more I like it.

very nice ...my MGA coupe has those dzus fasteners on the battery panel....I need to get a longer one on one of the sides for some reason one of mine is now too short

20160215_124230_zps09frgo5q.jpg

20160215_125027_zps2zz2fr2z.jpg

20160215_125020_zps3jhh5ncx.jpg
20160215_132522_zpslswl20gd.jpg

little more progress...
EE459DE7-B152-43C5-986C-959761D5CCB3_zps5n7thped.jpg

8D986463-A51F-4D01-9E42-49054B0A0DF8_zpsdsczi9sf.jpg

Nice project. I see a lot of areas where we think alike - long control arms to slow down geometry changes, control arms on slugs for roll center adjustability, etc. (Sutton Kool-Aid - LOL) My track project has the same features. I'll try to update my thread so I don't hijack yours. Here is a link to my Focus build thread on the Focus Forum that shows some of the same suspension geometry mods on that car. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/747817-nasa-spec-focus-upgrade.html Again, you have a great build going and it should work really well on track.

Pappy

Nice project. I see a lot of areas where we think alike - long control arms to slow down geometry changes, control arms on slugs for roll center adjustability, etc. (Sutton Kool-Aid - LOL) My track project has the same features. I'll try to update my thread so I don't hijack yours. Here is a link to my Focus build thread on the Focus Forum that shows some of the same suspension geometry mods on that car. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/747817-nasa-spec-focus-upgrade.html Again, you have a great build going and it should work really well on track.

Pappy

Thanks, Pappy! The front clip is all Ron's stuff along with the big piston ST60's. The rear is my own design utilizing a C4 diff and knuckle (hoping for any comments or criticism from you since youve been there already) This is my first time with more racecar oriented stuff so Ill be watching your thread closely.

PS... I skimmed through the Focus thread... very innovative using the MKI/III stuff together. I bet its a blast to drive (and competitive!!)

DMP Fab just sent me some pictures of the competed brake/hub assembly... SKF hubs with Strange Engineering 5/8 studs, and my custom ST40/ C5 rotor brake caliper bracket. Cant wait to get these in my hands and on the car!

011F8B3B-EFB0-43D7-A18C-2EC889077073_zpsztncfnyh.jpg

C78E64B3-F096-4761-B6D6-C96DAF4E79A3_zpswd0g6xr9.jpg

A237EA21-CDDE-4C17-83FC-04A9B9D5589F_zpsw5tnx1o8.jpg

that's freaking awesome...where are you on the jersey shore....I lived in spring lake for 10 years before I came Va