build a better spreader bar

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
This is the spreader bar I built for the 77 project.

It's very easy to fabricate and even easier to install because of the vertical bolt engagement. No need to wrestle a bolt, nut and some washers in the confined space around the radiator shroud.

All you need is some 1/2" UNF bolts and nuts (I used pretty round stainless allen head screws), some 5/8 UNF rod ends (LH&RH threads) with either 1/2" eyes or some 5/8 to 1/2 reducer bushings to tap in place. Also some 5/8 lock nuts (LH&RH)are required and of course the sleeve. The rod ends don't have to be super high quality. some chinese ones will do. You can get all the parts from speedwaymotors and other speedway shops. The parts are very affordable.

30dgx2r.jpg

5pneo6.jpg

I think I might redo mine like that one

I'll use 5/8 bolts though since I already have all the stuff

Is that 1/8" steel? I think I'll go with 3/16 just to be safe

I like that better than mine... I think i'll build one like that. To clear my belts and pulleys on a BBC I need to run the rod overtop of the a-arm bolt. I think I'll add a couple of braces to complete the triangle :)

Awesome :thumbs:

This is on my 'to do' list but will it fit with the stock fan ? Looks like it's too high, will it fit under the bracket with a spacer between the 1/8" steel and the rod end ?

Get an electric fan! Do you have the stock shroud? If so, check out what I'm gonna post in a new thread. How to install an electric fan in the stock shroud on the cheap, using early C4 single fan!

Get an electric fan! Do you have the stock shroud? If so, check out what I'm gonna post in a new thread. How to install an electric fan in the stock shroud on the cheap, using early C4 single fan!

smiley-at-beach.gif
:cool:

I built mine with a vertical bolt and welded the nut too (I used 1/4" steel for the bracket).

it's not as pretty, but it works and is easy to mount. Thanks TT for this idea :thumbs:

I started with a the unwelded spreader bar from VB&P.
P1010226.jpg
P1010224.jpg
P1010219.jpg
P1010230.jpg

it barely clears the wp pulley because of the long pump used with the f-body serpentine kit.

/Vince

Awesome :thumbs:

This is on my 'to do' list but will it fit with the stock fan ? Looks like it's too high, will it fit under the bracket with a spacer between the 1/8" steel and the rod end ?

It can be done. I fabbed my own brackets with 3/16" angle, added a few gussets, and presto. Use a string to find the right route. DO NOT assume the two shock tower/a arm bolts are perpendicular. I found out the hard way, and had to mill slots to square it up later.
PICT0003-2.jpg
PICT0001-6.jpg
PICT0008-4.jpg
PICT0013-4.jpg

It can be done. I fabbed my own brackets with 3/16" angle, added a few gussets, and presto. Use a string to find the right route. DO NOT assume the two shock tower/a arm bolts are perpendicular. I found out the hard way, and had to mill slots to square it up later.
PICT0003-2.jpg
PICT0001-6.jpg
PICT0008-4.jpg
PICT0013-4.jpg

Are still using the stock fan on the water pump?:D

Shock Tower Bolts

Now if your going to do this, I suggest whileyouratit, check the a-arm bolts to see if they are loose in the holes.
It makes alignment much easier if they are still captured by the splines. If they are loose, there is a cure.
I bought 4 new splined studs from NAPA, and pulled them into the enlarged holes using a nut and washers as a bearing. You have to watch, as the splines are a tad longer. As long as you have some shims or a bar, it's no biggie.
I'll have Larry post the #, as I forgot.
PICT0001-8.jpg
You can see the old bolt here with the stripped splines.
PICT0009-2.jpg
PICT0004-3.jpg

i just bought one off the shelf and had it welded in. there was some clearance problem with the fan. otherwise seems to work fine.
:cool:

I got 1/8" angle iron and drilled the holes

No cut off wheel or sawzall at home though so I have to wait to finish it

You could if you do it like BBShark.

You could also do it if you did it the conventional way, it may not be smart but it's possible but you shouldn't do it and maybe you should make it adjustable if youcan but maybe it can be made solid if you can..... :suicide::sos: