custom grill and fog light install/fab pics

Shirley1978

ok as some of you know, my threads tend to get somewhat lengthy because i only work on my car once a week or so. last week i picked up some fog lights and today i picked up some chicken wire and steel rods.
Feb19_0005.jpg
Feb19_0004.jpg
after an hour or so of molding and shaping this is what i came out with..
Feb19_0003.jpg
its a bit off on one side, but i can make another one.. the middle should be the hardest part..
here it is on the car, just a test fit
Feb19_0001-1.jpg

im going to try and make the side grills tomorrow morning. the finished product will be a gloss or flat black.. but we'll see what it looks like 2morro..

:beer:

thanks saudi

heres one grill side.. didnt have alot of time to make it pretty, i need to go to work..
if i can match the angle weave of the side grill to the middle one that im going to redo, i wont rework this one.. kinda forgot to look match it to the middle section :D , if not ill need to start over on the mesh..

anywho, heres a test fit with both.
Feb20_0001.jpg

Feb20_0002.jpg

I would paint it black, or buy black mesh (I used that for V-Twins headlamp buckets) otherwise it's looking good. Like the clean look.

That looks very nice Shirley :thumbs: do you know anybody with powder coating equipment?? you could have those powder coated.

I would paint it black, or buy black mesh (I used that for V-Twins headlamp buckets) otherwise it's looking good. Like the clean look.

thats the plan :thumbs:

saudi.. i do!!! i was considering that.. gotta talk to th guy and see how much he'll charge me...

i might change the mesh style but im not sure yet. gotta fish around and see if i like something :fishing:

thats the plan :thumbs:

saudi.. i do!!! i was considering that.. gotta talk to th guy and see how much he'll charge me...

i might change the mesh style but im not sure yet. gotta fish around and see if i like something :fishing:
if you can get them to me, I won't charge you anything :thumbs:

I like!

For the price of the power coat equipment I would suggest buying the stuff doing it yourself. Its cheap and very easy to do.

ill look into the powder coating equipment.. beside i think it would cost more to ship the damn things rather than go somewhere local...but thanks saudi

heres an update..

dad had some extra mesh laying around he bought a few months back so i decided to use that instead.

Feb21_0001.jpg

new center peice.. i really like how this one came out
Feb22_0002.jpg

Feb22_0001.jpg

here it is compared to the old one
Feb22_0003.jpg

just in case you guys ever decide to do something like this:
if the mesh comes in a roll. ALWAY have the mesh laying so that it curls twards the piece you are wrapping. like this
Feb22_0004.jpg
if you do it the other way it wont look straight.

almost done with this side
Feb22_0005.jpg

donezo
Feb22_0006.jpg

here are the two i did today.. i did em at work since i close today and its slow, but things started getting busy and i still need to study for a midterm i have 2morro so i probobly wont do the other one untill tuesday or wed..
Feb22_0007.jpg

after that i have to weld some tabs to the top and bottom of the grills so i can mount them on the car.

up next is the bracket for the fog lights. i bought a piece of sheet metal and will probobly do a box model first, then cut up the steel. i gotta look at the car more tho.. till then i bid you buenas noches:goodnight:

If you do get a powder coat set up check around for a cheep electric oven. I bought a used oven at Menards for $9 and it works great.

i finished the other side grill on monday, ill mock them up for a test fit tomorrow. still gotta decide how im going to mount them... might not have the welding tools at hand..:cry:

ok so heres the inside vew of the grill, one side is sorda out of place.. just noticed.:flash: .. still havent decided how im going to mount them. i have to make the brackets for the turn signals first..
Feb26_0001.jpg
fog light bracket done and mounted, just a test, im gonna paint it so it doesnt rust.
Feb26_0002.jpg
grills test fit again, the middle section is a litte bit off, the angles are not spot on, but not all tha bad considering i didnt have the car with me when i made it..
Feb26_0003.jpg
Feb26_0004.jpg

The easiest way to mount is to glue in place using windshield adhesive

That is another idea, but more common is a 5 buck tube of RTV black from HD....cures overnight easy to cut with a knife if need be, NEVER lets go....I used it to secure my custom grill in my '72, to the lower glass curved panels, the bumper brackets from the old assy were used up top, tied to the chrome bumper....there is a older pix on my site there of the car front....

:drink:

TT, i want to be able to bold them on and off... glue is my last option, i know i can mount them like that but i would like to bolt them on.. im making a another middle section today probobly.. but like i said, first i gotta make the bracket for the turn signals.