Fabricating boom tubes

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
I'm working on some boom tubes. They are part of a dual (non crossove/balance pipe :) ) 3" (yes, overkill I know) exhaust for a 70 Coronet Wagon with a severe redneck rake :D

The car
24905081d859c8.jpg

249050822043e1.jpg

And the boom tubes will exit just in front of the rear wheels. Now, one can buy some from dr. gas or off ebay but what fun is that, adn they aren't stainless. And BIY (build it yourself) is more satisfying than buying...so here we go. Same old recipe, stainless tubing and weld els. (the larger sizes aren't available in the brushed or even etched finish so these are raw)

2491f47e42356c.jpg

No weld seams around collector flange, welded on the inside

2491f47e74589a.jpg

The oversize holes on the stainless collector flanges are purposely done. This allows the pipes to be clocked a little. When all done I'm going to weld a small section ot tubing inside that slips into the header collector so it will never leak.

Crooked mopar headers, the exhaust need all kinds of bends and angles to give a straight shot back

2491f47e5d322a.jpg

The passenger side pipe is now closer to the subframe connector 9the big frame rail) than the other side, more bends required

2491f47e90af1e.jpg

The angle of the dr. side pipe looks off here, it's in the pic because it's taken at a slight angle and the car has a severe rake, from straight below it runs perfectly parallel to the car centerline.

2491f47eb2f941.jpg

This is how I'm going to fab the boom tubes. Sections of pipe cut lengthwise and a sheet of stainless in between to finish it off. Will probably add some internal ribs with holes in them just like the ones from dr. gas.

2491f506abd1b1.jpg

This is the long side that you see in the design drawing, I still have to do the side with the bend in it.

2491f47ed2e784.jpg

2491f47eeaa0cc.jpg

Because of the massive subframe connectors the boom tube will end up getting a bend along the body somewhere, I'll cut a V section out, bend the rest up and weld it back together again so the tube exit stays close to the body. It just won't look right hanging down real low.

I may end up doing something similar with my 82.

Marck, how long since you worked on YOUR vette???

3 years???

cool Mopar though, sending the link to a buddy I known for some 42 years....

he's the Federal cop, Mopar man all this time.....

:eek::smash::smash:

No, 1 year 2 months. I still need to move it. I was supposed to get a call about that today but the guy never called, maybe tomorrow. Was hoping to move the car in these next couple of weeks sometime.

No, 1 year 2 months. I still need to move it. I was supposed to get a call about that today but the guy never called, maybe tomorrow. Was hoping to move the car in these next couple of weeks sometime.

Your vette in storage?? or moving the Mopar to the owner???

like to see some more of your vette, seems longer than that...just over a year?? maybe with all the forum shifts and crap, oh well....seems longer...

:thumbs:

No moving my vette to the large shop. I can't be at 2 places at the same time. That's why I never work on it. Also, I moved my welders, air tools and such. I only have the old hobart tig unit in the small shop and I never use that one anymore (and it doesn't have a gas bottle and such, that's all in the large shop). Don't have engine stands, no cherry picker, no hydraulic press...anything there anymore. I only have my old compressor there and a blasting cabinet and a whole bunch of hand tools, nothing to fabricate with.

I haven't worked on it since Xander got his 77 and that was late august 2007.

This is from last month or so....see, nothing changed since last year. Well, Xander cannibalized some of the car for parts

248fb89ebe9988.jpg

2491f5e252f387.jpg

You guys maybe hatched together, but canibalize PARTS off YOUR car???

is'nt that a bit MUCH????

brotherly love maybe ONE thing, but back UP bro......

:bump::bump::eek::twitch:

but then again, HE gets to replace them....NO???

:quote:

He took the autometer gauges, the rear end cooler pump, cooler and duct, a stefs catch can, bunch of hose ends and hoses, a purolator rear end filter, a billet fuel filter and all the powdercoated suspension parts that once came off my car. I don't care, I wasn't going to use most of it anyway, I have my rear end set up for a mechanical scavenge pump and a smaller filter. The only parts I couldn't really miss are the autoemeter gauges but I want the pro parts gauges now, they are so much nicer. Backlit and they change color to red when there's a problem. The Hendrick nascars have them also. They're kind of spendy though.

I figured, his car is running way sooner than mine (it's almost done, waiting on some final parts but it's taking forever!) and if he uses my stuff I got dibs on the car LOL

Damn TT, fire that thing up already and take it for a spin. Wear some goggles and bring your video camera with you.

It doesn't even run :)

Finished one of the boom tubes today

24931b7f224301.jpg

24931b7f3f1472.jpg

24931b7f643ee2.jpg

The opening is 40 cm wide :D

TT is busy fabbing some up for me :drink: some of those on the side of the vette powder coated black and the open edge p/c chrome a 1/4" wide would look bad ass :idea:

They're not light but then again they are HUGE. These shots give a better idea of how big they are. The inlet it 3". The outlet is 16 x 2.75 :D

2493313ae884e5.jpg

2493313b0131d8.jpg

No exhaust hangers, they will be mounted to a big subframe connector with a simple stainless tab. There is more than enough flex in the ehaders and the exhaust to let the engine do it's thing. No need for rubber hangers.

Going to attach them to this, laser cut subframe connectors that had to be welded to the floor (after replacing the floor because of rot) and sure enough this expensive stuff didn't fit. The beams were made from a large laser cut sheet and then 2 metal brakes to fold them over but they were placed a tad too close to each other. This resulted in the U channel not fitting over the stock crossmember as they should. The solution was to cut the rear portion off diagonally and butt weld them to the original rear frame section. This also means that the floor contour was correct on one side but completely off on the other....oh the hours of cursing, hammering, cursing, grinding, cursing, welding and more cursing. Nest time it'll be 2 simple beams again, not this fancy crap. They didn't even put a hole in them for the parking brake cable. I had to cut the holes and weld in a tube so the cable could pass through without creating a big open hole for water and crap to come in. Also these channels are positioned where the stock brake and fuel lines run. Some genius designed these! Mopar junk.

2493315b2e69bc.jpg

You can also see the old exhaust, fabbed by someone with no pride in their work. This thing has more twists and turns than the missisisiissisisisiippi

Kevin, if you want to coat stuff no need to sink money into expensive stainless. You can simply buy the boom tubes from dr. gas or on ebay.

They're not light but then again they are HUGE. These shots give a better idea of how big they are. The inlet it 3". The outlet is 16 x 2.75 :D

2493313ae884e5.jpg

2493313b0131d8.jpg

Keven, if you want to coat stuff no need to sink money into expensive stainless. You can simply buy the boom tubes from dr. gas or on ebay.

I will have to take a look at them,run those out the side with no mufflers :yahoo: