C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

That is nice and tidy. For most situations, it will probably be adequate as you say. How often would you be at a max load condition for long enough to actually drain the battery? Probably not too often. I think the packaging benefits will far outweigh the potential overload issue.

Thanks! While the battery is quite small, I agree... the power steering pump is actually supposed to connect to the charge light terminal on the alternator so it would in theory turn off until the load is lessened but I want everything except the pump to shut off in that scenario. I think too much... back to work so I can drive this thing and prove my theory wrong :flash:

Did I miss a picture or post of what battery you're planning to use? Please pardon the oversight if I missed it.

I'm using the same design alternator as you. I'm still in the process of trying to find a low cost pulley replacement (ie: larger diameter) for it. Even with my underdrive crank pulley the alternator has got to be turning some serious RPM during track days.

Did I miss a picture or post of what battery you're planning to use? Please pardon the oversight if I missed it.

I'm using the same design alternator as you. I'm still in the process of trying to find a low cost pulley replacement (ie: larger diameter) for it. Even with my underdrive crank pulley the alternator has got to be turning some serious RPM during track days.

I was running an odyssey PC680 (15.4lbs) but I think I'm going to try their PC625 (13.2lbs). What is the pulley ratio on your alternator? Mine is 1.45:1 overdrive. I'm thinking I may need to drive it even more but at 6500RPM the alternator is already closing in on 10k rpm. I inquired about the max recommended shaft speed but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a response...

I was running an odyssey PC680 (15.4lbs) but I think I'm going to try their PC625 (13.2lbs). What is the pulley ratio on your alternator? Mine is 1.45:1 overdrive. I'm thinking I may need to drive it even more but at 6500RPM the alternator is already closing in on 10k rpm. I inquired about the max recommended shaft speed but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a response...

I calculated my pulley ratio to be 2.3:1, so it's turning a bit faster at times on the track than I care for or need.

I calculated my pulley ratio to be 2.3:1, so it's turning a bit faster at times on the track than I care for or need.

That's good to know yours works with rpms like that... I need to get max amperage as soon as possible so I may up my ratio to something close to yours

This thread has a pretty good discussion of light weight batteries.

Pappy

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...cing/4229909-lightweight-racing-batterys.html

A major milestone tonight! Looking through my photos, it shows I took the body off on November 30th 2014!! Thankfully I didn't hit 4 whole years :3rd:
D7BCC35A-0F0A-4A5B-A576-76DC188F0413_zpsplj8iqli.jpg

I've got a few places to trim for 100% fitment but otherwise all went fairly smooth! My goal is to have a car that moves under its own power by New Year's Day... back to work!

Any chance your original fuel tank is available to get an empty weight?

Absolutely no rush, obviously, but thanks for any help.

Small, but some progress... TSP Performance 90A alternator came in along with some Jones Racing HTD pullies. The water pump is 1:1 and the alternator is 2:1. I trimmed down the alternator pulley a bit on the lathe to get it closer to the case so I can keep everything as tight as possible to the motor.

thum_6155c44eef4d08e6.jpg

thum_6155c44eef4a176f.jpg

thum_6155c44ee911b92b.jpg

Any chance your original fuel tank is available to get an empty weight?

Absolutely no rush, obviously, but thanks for any help.

22lbs with the cap and sender still installed :drink:

Slowly picking away at the ever-growing list of to-do's...

I got the firewall brace bonded to the firewall, finally. I used 3M 08115 Panel bond. My goal was to use the panel bond instead of the rivets to increase rigidity so that I would get less flex, and therefore better pedal response under hard braking.

thum_6155c6982e118f23.jpg

Next on the list is the heater hoses... Intake side is done, I still have to make a 1/2NPT to 45* -10AN for the waterpump side

thum_6155c6982e1406dd.jpg

Header mockup is done... had to re-route #1 tube so that I can run a straight shaft with only 2 joints, which also gives me more clearance for the oil cooler lines. Thats two things on my list taken care of with one modification :hunter:

thum_6155c6982e12da43.jpgthum_6155c6982e152497.jpg

And lastly, the clutch master reservoir line is finished. I tried to figure out how to get an AN fitting on the master, but the inlet is too large to machine and tap for a banjo thread. Keeping it simple for now with a short rubber hose connection.

thum_6155c6982e165413.jpg

Power steering pump bracket... The pump mounts using the two top rubber isolated bolts, and Ill have to make a piece of poly to secure the bottom of the motor with the bracket with a hose clamp or something similar. The two slots at the bottom are for the hose clamp to pass through.

thum_6155c6ca39b15253.jpg
thum_6155c6ca39b29ab7.jpg

Crossed this off of my "list of things to do, that I forgot to write on my list of things to do"

Part of my balance bar project was figuring out where to put the bias adjust... Easy to access, short cable run and make it not look too out of place.
thum_6155c6e0fa848ab0.jpg
thum_6155c6e0fa87e022.jpg
thum_6155c6e0fa8ada37.jpg

Crossed this off of my "list of things to do, that I forgot to write on my list of things to do"

Part of my balance bar project was figuring out where to put the bias adjust... Easy to access, short cable run and make it not look too out of place.
thum_6155c6e0fa848ab0.jpg
thum_6155c6e0fa87e022.jpg
thum_6155c6e0fa8ada37.jpg

That should work!

A bunch of small projects coming to completion!
Pedal box back from paint, so the brakes are much closer to putting fluid in!
thum_6155c959f53c1321.jpg
thum_6155c959f53d4499.jpg

The last of the heater hose fabrication is finished, lines tightened and crossed off the list

thum_6155c9ad7b340c23.jpg
thum_6155c9ad7b354647.jpg

6155cd1fe8d88677.jpg

6155cd1ff7b0e2f4.jpg

Rear tire showed up for mockup/wheel fitment... 345/30/19 Toyo R888R
a 2.5" flare would give me ample clearance on the frame and wheel tubs, I may run it a bit tighter to the frame once I get the wheel fit tool and see where everything ends up. For now its just thrown in with no account for camber or toe. It sure looks beefy!

Also been plugging away at the interior wiring harness... Almost done... Enough to get it started with basic function. Keeping homage to the euro details on the car, I used Tessa cloth tape and half-wrapped sections like alot of newer Mercedes and BMW's. Almost everything is connectorized to make servicing or removing the interior quick and easy. A few switches are just regular male spades and in the interest of driving this thing ASAP, I just left them alone for now. In the future they will be properly terminated

6155cd1ff7aeed8f.jpg

Flares will be nice. With - or without the "mud-flaps?"

Looks like we've found the same wire-wrap materials (Alex-Tech?). It is the "fabric" that wraps/expands around like a tube? Not cheap - but way better than the old plastic spiral wraps! Understand no melt until about 400F.

Cheers - Jim

6155cd1fe8d88677.jpg

6155cd1ff7b0e2f4.jpg

Rear tire showed up for mockup/wheel fitment... 345/30/19 Toyo R888R
a 2.5" flare would give me ample clearance on the frame and wheel tubs, I may run it a bit tighter to the frame once I get the wheel fit tool and see where everything ends up. For now its just thrown in with no account for camber or toe. It sure looks beefy!

looking GOOD! Out of curiosity why did you go with a 19" tire? There are a lot more tire choices, especially in track tires, in the 18" size.

A C3 with flares is always a good thing. :clap: