Long Overdue Progress! My Retro Airbag

Started removing the C950 from the car this weekend. I was successful at removing the ECU and the harness in the interior of the car. It was a not fun at all. When I put it in, the car had no interior and I integrated the wiring into the main harness for the car including wire looms and clamps all over the place! So this took a fair amount of time cutting it out without accidentally cutting wires that were part of the main harness (like diffusing a bomb).

Did I mention how much I hate wiring?

So next is taking the plenum apart to get to that wiring. Hoping that will go a little smoother.

Garbage:
461070b2423fd1.jpg

did you keep remarking to yourself how neat the job was while you were undoing it? that's what I tell people I'm muttering when I'm de-looming something I did before.... :hi:

did you keep remarking to yourself how neat the job was while you were undoing it? that's what I tell people I'm muttering when I'm de-looming something I did before.... :hi:

I was actually thinking about what a waste it was to install it in the first place. I knew the chances of getting it running good were not good.

Lesson learned.

I think dynamic corvettes is selling a wiper cover now (just released), like the one you did.

They have some nice parts.

Dynamic is selling one that looks a lot like to one that everyone else sells. I'm sure the DC one is better made but I would like to see a picture of a car with wipers. I also question that the DC part could be used on 68-72 short hood cars.

I had one of the plastic ones and ended up cutting away so much of it that there was nothing left.

And mine has perforated screens!

4611667a6b1abd.jpg

4611667a6cd455.jpg

45f061a447584b.jpg

VERY NICE! And I love the screens. Did you really start with a basic set and make these? There is much more to this story that you have let on. The screens look as if they have been relieved some too? Hammer and buck?

Very Nice.

Cheers - Jim

I had some plates water jet cut to form a flange on the perforated metal. Backed that up with MDF and into a hydraulic press. So then I ended up with a hat section with the center drawn 1/4 inch an a 1/4 flange.

Yeah, yours looks better. I could not find the thread. :)

Plenum De-construction

Time has been limited for a while to weekends. I got the plenum taken apart today to expose the injector and sensor wiring. When I put this together, I put the wiring in down in the intake valley and then put the fuel lines on top of it. Big mistake. Ended up cutting the harness out with just about every cutter I have.

So the deconstruction of the C950 crap is done!

START
45f69201a68f85.jpg

WITH WIRING
4612a9869285e7.jpg

WITHOUT WIRING
4612a98d2898f1.jpg

Been focusing on the EFI lately but did get a chance to wrap up the shoulder belt install.

4613fb4a297aed.jpg

Looks like you are closing in on the "finish line." That feel good.

And, c3 convertible prices are shooting up too. Up in the northern states, I see a lot of cars advertised that appear nice, until you see underneath photos. So, having a nice one will be an exception.

can we swap C5 seats? mine are looking tired and yours look so NEW!!!

cleaning up that wiring makes it look so good. nice work

Looks like you are closing in on the "finish line." That feel good.

And, c3 convertible prices are shooting up too. Up in the northern states, I see a lot of cars advertised that appear nice, until you see underneath photos. So, having a nice one will be an exception.

I'm thinking I will keep it and be buried in it. I can't sell after this amount of time invested in it. At $5 an hour, I would be lucky to break even :suicide:

[
I'm thinking I will keep it and be buried in it. I can't sell after this amount of time invested in it. At $5 an hour, I would be lucky to break even :suicide:

LIKEWISE; I'm thinking the same about my boat. It could be a Viking flaming -burial at sea ... But my wife says - NO!

Cheers - Jim

Finally completed the HP EFI wiring. I had the old ECU inside the car but there was no way to get the new ECU in there. Holley says this is ok for underhood but options were limited there. I removed the vacuum tank so that was pretty much the only space I could find. But, at this point access to that area is pretty limited.

This is mounted to the splash shield behind the wheel well. Been so long since I removed it, I couldn't remember what it was. But, the harness was long enough and, if I need to remove it, I can drop it out from the bottom. And a bonus, I can get to it through the side gills.

46163f79306458.jpg

46164b58e103d3.jpg

Last edited:
First Startup!

So, I finally got all the Holley EFI stuff installed and setup. The setup was not too bad but some of the instructions are outdated (all manuals are for version 2 and I have version 5). Holley saves money by not printing or updating the manual and putting it online.

Last night I started it up and adjusted the TPS and IAC and it seems to run well. Next step is to drive the car in "learn" mode. Only problem is I have to install the springs and shocks to make it drivable.

I ended up not using the BBK throttle body. Lots of issues with that.

Baby steps!