Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Electrical & Ignition

Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)
Default Looking for darn small alternator options.

A couple years back I pulled off the 11# stock Delco alternator (37A) and installed a 7# Denso alternator (41A) over on the other (righthand) side (for weight reduction and balance). Despite the lower weight, it's still overkill for what I need most times, particularly on track days. I need about 4-5 amps for the ignition system, and a couple amps (just guessing at the moment) for the brake lights. Anybody have any wild ideas on how I can generate a few amps while out on the track, and still end up with less weight on the front end? The regulation and control of the voltage is an easy enough task to do but I need some ideas on what's available to generate the power.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:17 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

I would try fishing around a place that deals in Farm equipment, got one down the road called Tractor Supply......they may well have some oddball gear that takes just that part......
Old 09-15-2018, 01:57 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (58)

Check out speedway motors, some are roughly 4x5”. Also, won’t oversized pulleys help to reduce hp loss. They sell those too.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Calculate your amp draw (at more than just idle), disconnect brake lights for track days. Gauges and ignition system should be all you have. Find out what your amp hours are for the battery and just run off of the battery. You might survive a 20 minute session without an alternator. Just dont stall it 15 minutes in...
Old 09-15-2018, 06:55 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

I have a tiny one on my racer I found on a welder. It's a NipponDenso and tiniest one I've seen. (And I've been watching for over twenty years). I'll look for numbers on it in a few minutes.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
I have a tiny one on my racer I found on a welder. It's a NipponDenso and tiniest one I've seen. (And I've been watching for over twenty years). I'll look for numbers on it in a few minutes.
Thanks. My present alternator is a 7# Denso (paid $3 for it at a scrapyard a few years ago). I see a few 5.8# Denso lookalike alternators in some of the speed catalogs, but damn they're pricey.
Thanks for what ever input you can offer up here.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette427sbc View Post
Calculate your amp draw (at more than just idle), disconnect brake lights for track days. Gauges and ignition system should be all you have. Find out what your amp hours are for the battery and just run off of the battery. You might survive a 20 minute session without an alternator. Just dont stall it 15 minutes in...
I understand what you're saying here, but I'm a bit gunshy about running without brake lights. If needed I was going to look into some LED tail lights to lower the system electrical load.

I've got ABS sensors in the front hubs, and have some timing/speed projects planned that would use the AC signal off the sensors. I would love to figure out a way to upsize this type of system to power the electrical system.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Check out speedway motors, some are roughly 4x5”. Also, won’t oversized pulleys help to reduce hp loss. They sell those too.
I checked Speedway Motors. They have some slightly lighter alternators (5.8# versus my 7# unit), but the price is out of my budget.

I'm currently running an undersize crank pulley to slow the accessories, but the present alternator still has the stock (damn small) pulley, so chances are it could handle being slowed down a touch yet. WTH, until I find a lighter alternator option I can certainly look for a replacement pulley (with 15mm shaft bore IIRC) while I'm perusing the junkyards.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (161)

Here is the Nipon Denso 75Amp fitted to my car,

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...][Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...][Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

One wire, simple upgrade and 7.29 Lbs.
Indeed I am running no accessories like radio, pw windows. Just elec fuel pump, and keeping all the lights working.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (161)

I found some smaller ones . like for small equipment but 45amps or less and definitely not rated to more than 3000rpm . So not really good at charging a lower revs if fitted to our car with a different pulley to accommodate a 7000 or more revs.
But again, I looked at using them with a lithium battery. And did not because of the price of the battery.