Grand Sport Chassis Dimensions?

This one with C4 suspension was on CL a couple of years ago. He wanted 4k$. Pretty darn simple, got me thinking...

21945999841d061bd.jpg

I've been curious about the weight of those GS frames (they look lighter than the stock frame), but I also get the impression that the torsional rigidity of those frames is less than the stock frame.

The GS book has some good photos and some tube OD dimensions. They also show the frame being stress tested. They were concerned about torsion according to the authors. 2500 lb-ft per degree was attained. Apparently without the roll bar.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3...JTAA#v=onepage&q=Grand sport corvette&f=false

Luckily, google books has this section available, link above.

Add a full cage and it would be pretty stiff.

I'm seeing a bump on the drivers floor, I didn't think they channeled the body. Maybe it is for the exhaust.

2500 lbs/degree is not that great (by modern standards) and might be optimistic depending on the conditions it was measured. Seems like some well placed gussets might help with torsional strength.

200lbs for a bare frame is not bad as long as you don't have to add more weight strengthening. Bare C3 frame is 285lbs

2500 lbs/degree is not that great (by modern standards) and might be optimistic depending on the conditions it was measured. Seems like some well placed gussets might help with torsional strength.

200lbs for a bare frame is not bad as long as you don't have to add more weight strengthening. Bare C3 frame is 285lbs

The photos show no roll bar on the test stand. I'm thinking it would go way up.

The Mongoose uses some smaller tubing, so it may be less.

My interest, it is so simple and c4's are being given away. Could probably be built with some pie cuts.

I went through the photos and looks like some one removed them on the craigs list bargain. The ones above were Mongoose, I think.

Would not be to hard too scale it off, I'm looking for the easy way first.

There are 4 or 5 detailed GS assembly vids in the "misc vintage racing thread."

I think this is the c3 modified version for stock floor. Posted over at cf.

2194599d6f60743e1.jpg

Last edited:
219459cd4155dae7f.jpg

I believe this is the Mongoose "race" version. It's been a year or two since I found it. This should solve any torsional bending.

I found a race weight C2 body with a factory floor option, but need to think about what I really want to spend a time and money on.

Would need to add a birdcage.