VEVpCxx.jpg

fYldvew.jpg

1264006_10200637445800016_1679216234_o.jpg

1063844_10200299281146111_201346913_o.jpg

1074189_10200413284036112_53227246_o.jpg

LS Fest 2013 Grand Champion Scoring

Danny Popp's Raw C3 has Been a Family Fixture for More Than 30 Years

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51sh5M0dV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51sh5M0dV4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqObzpeyB5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqObzpeyB5s[/ame]

According to Danny (paraphrased), "It has a destroked LS7, 388 cu in, spec'd and assembled by my friends at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. It has the Holley EFI, port fuel with the carbureted LS7 GM intake manifold, new lightweight stainless valves and a proprietary LG Motorsports camshaft kit. It is in fact an 8k+ rpm motor, pulls like a freight train when on camshaft. It fits me well as I am an engine speed junkie."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYb8C3sTOi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrToXSFC9BM

Popp, Carlyle Nab VETTE Awards at 2013 Holley LS Fest Photo Gallery

Last edited:
What strikes me about this car is how apparently the suspension has been modded very little. Tubular A arms and an adjustable bar up front and coilovers all around. The coilovers and adjustable bar are understandable to allow easier tuning for the event. Not sure he would have the tubular arms if Van Steel wasn't a sponsor.

I noticed a smart strut bracket in the rear - surprisingly it looks like it is on its lowest setting which would have the most reduction in camber gain. I have always been told that setting would only be good for drag racing.

But he even has the stock sway bar in the rear although the article says he uses an adjustble bar there sometimes. Many "experts" claim no bar is needed in the rear.

It looks like so far he has put most of his time and money in tires, brakes and engine. From the pic it looks like the next area for attention will be the rear driveline. Big engine+big tires=broken driveline components.

But like I said, I'm really surprised by how much is stock. No 6 link, no SharkBite :wink:, no rack & pinion (does have a Borgesun box tho), no HydroBoost (sorry Gene) :rofl:.

Just shows these old Vettes just need some tuning rather than major surgery.

What strikes me about this car is how apparently the suspension has been modded very little. Tubular A arms and an adjustable bar up front and coilovers all around. The coilovers and adjustable bar are understandable to allow easier tuning for the event. Not sure he would have the tubular arms if Van Steel wasn't a sponsor.

I noticed a smart strut bracket in the rear - surprisingly it looks like it is on its lowest setting which would have the most reduction in camber gain. I have always been told that setting would only be good for drag racing. Not an LS Fest expert, but it was my impression that there was a drag race portion of the competition. Perhaps that explains the strut setting.

But he even has the stock sway bar in the rear although the article says he uses an adjustble bar there sometimes. Many "experts" claim no bar is needed in the rear. He's got a ton of tire in the rear. Seems wise to use some of that "excess" tire capability to take some of the roll load off the front tires which are usually overworked.
It looks like so far he has put most of his time and money in tires, brakes and engine. From the pic it looks like the next area for attention will be the rear driveline. Big engine+big tires=broken driveline components.

But like I said, I'm really surprised by how much is stock. No 6 link, no SharkBite :wink:, no rack & pinion (does have a Borgesun box tho), no HydroBoost (sorry Gene) :rofl:.

Just shows these old Vettes just need some tuning rather than major surgery.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I make no claims to their accuracy in this specific example.

Does anyone have pictures or more details as to his suspension? Plus motor and trans setup?:sos:

Danny Popp's '72 Corvette on Forgeline GA3R Wheels Wins at Goodguys Indy

Danny Popp scored the overall win at the Goodguys autocross at Indy this past weekend in his LS-powered '72 Corvette.

nx63Zr7.jpg

fS3JQnS.jpg

3UQK2lX.jpg

vIlV4NL.jpg

Danny posted, "My first ever GoodGuys Indy event is now over. The weekend did not go so well, not with the car, but me. Woke up Friday morning with a nasty head cold, that also went to my chest by Saturday. Car performed well and had no breakage or failures. This was our first event with "pro" status from winning street machine in Columbus, so we had to run with the BIG boys, manufacturers and previous winners. Other thing of note was that we were trying to race our way into the inaugural season finale later this year in Scottsdale, AZ, by setting fast time. Despite my physical limitations we were able to accomplish all of the above. We were fortunate enough to win the pro class, set fastest time and gain our invite to the finale. Thank you to all of the sponsors for making these results possible!! Scottsdale here we come!!"

Brian Hobaugh wins the 2013 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational

1455880_687286257950643_1382036340_n.jpg

Danny Popp finished 3rd. These old Vettes can still get 'er done. :1st:

I was there. Watched Brian on every pass. Small block with modified (but based on stock) C-2 suspension. Big tires and brakes, but nowhere near the highest horsepower car in attendance. Well sorted with a very good driver with many years of experience in this car. Driver skill apparent in the autocross and a well balanced car under braking. Embarrassed a lot of high dollar cars. Love it! There was also a 63/64 roadster with an LS that looked pretty strong. In fact, most of the strong performers -- acceleration and smoothness-wise were LS powered. GTR's power also sounded smooth, but lots of banging and popping from "the other brand" (four letter word).

Pappy