5 point seat belt mounting points

vette427sbc

Curious what the full blown race cars are using for seat belt mounts? The steel plates riveted to the fiberglass floor cant be strong enough... or are they?
Id like to run a 5 point; the shoulder harness is attached to the cage which is bolted to the chassis. Im wary of using the center bolt under the seat for the lap and anti-sub belt because of floor flex. A coupe with a "full cage" puts my head closer than Id like to the halo, and I dont have the space to accommodate for belt stretch and floor flex before my helmet smacks a tube

Two thoughts;
1. I seem to recall a "minimum" of 2" below the halo. I know it is a max of 5" and unless you are a midget in a 'vette-- you'll never see that!
2. How about something "like" a harness bar from rail to rail and attach to that for the sub belt? Or, use something like that as a guide and a longer strap to the aft cross-member? Use a guide loop for the strap​

Well, maybe that is 3 thoughts.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Curious what the full blown race cars are using for seat belt mounts? The steel plates riveted to the fiberglass floor cant be strong enough... or are they?
Id like to run a 5 point; the shoulder harness is attached to the cage which is bolted to the chassis. Im wary of using the center bolt under the seat for the lap and anti-sub belt because of floor flex. A coupe with a "full cage" puts my head closer than Id like to the halo, and I dont have the space to accommodate for belt stretch and floor flex before my helmet smacks a tube

Didn't the guy with the widebody weld supports between the frame rails for seats and belts.

Two thoughts;
1. I seem to recall a "minimum" of 2" below the halo. I know it is a max of 5" and unless you are a midget in a 'vette-- you'll never see that!
2. How about something "like" a harness bar from rail to rail and attach to that for the sub belt? Or, use something like that as a guide and a longer strap to the aft cross-member? Use a guide loop for the strap​

Well, maybe that is 3 thoughts.

Cheers - Jim

I may have to devise some kind of bracketry from the trans crossmember to the rear crossmember to achieve something like this... but to cover front seat mounts, sub belt and rear seat mounts, id lose my belly pan... hmmm safety or aero???

Didn't the guy with the widebody weld supports between the frame rails for seats and belts.

I missed that one... which widebody car are you referring to? TT?