Mini starter - why did I wait so long!?

that starter looks like a knockoff of this one....I had the nose changed to use on my vintage racer with a 153t flexplate but never did. $100 owns mine (genuine GM and only started my racer two times, I switched to a reverse drive starter and 5.5" clutch)

IMG_1857.jpg
IMG_1856.jpg

it does doesn't it?...with some differences, that gm one does not have plastic junk inside and a reinforced nose (ribs), I have broken 2 of those chinese starters (I didn't buy them, they came on the cars) and 1 was the spin gear set, the other cracked the nose.

Well, I finally discovered that GM makes starter bolts to adapt these mini-starters to the Gen I small blocks. These are for the 153 tooth flywheel starters.

thum_534fdbddb8530f1.jpg

The short one is PN 14037733 and the long one is 12338064. They have 10mm shanks with 3/8" threads.

Last edited:
GM Performance Parts catalog has a ministarter for Small Blocks' and will also work with lower compression Big Block's. They also sell one for high compression Big Blocks. I've bought one of each. They are not all that expensive.

Well it bit the dust. :chinese:

Lesson learned. Luckily it crapped out in the driveway, I got to the parts store a couple minutes before they closed and they had one in stock. :cool:

5355de896c91fc7.jpg

Kid Vette
What was your replacement of choice? Another mini - or a "standard" off-the-shelf? Would be nice to follow the replacement.

Cheers - Jim

will this work? I was told I needed a better started and I found this for $80.00 thru Rock Auto... I have a 383 stroker motor. My speed shop guy said a 96 or so vortex starter was small and it would work too... its $160.00
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=999905&cc=1041286&jnid=485&jpid=3

OR BETTER YET...???
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WT68KB4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/187-2214235-9435417?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0T3G4FJVCDE29RS9SMBA&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_i=B004RBWV5K[/ame]...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I got a NAPA gear reduction replacement since they had it in stock and I wanted to get the Vette in the garage that night. Lot's of property crime and stolen vehicles in this town thanks to all the tweekers in this town so I didn't want to leave it out.

Not sure I'm going to stick with it though. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. I was lucky this happened at home.

I wouldn't take a chance on that Amazon starter. Read the reviews. It has to be Chinese junk at that price. I'm definitely going with name brand on my next starter.

MY only comment is, that my vette is rigged so that it's NOT being stolen....unless by a hook.....sure as hell not driving it......

electronic trickery......this one being FI makes it simple....

back in the day, I had a series of latch relays on the '70 Lemans GTO convertible, .....

Interior lights ON, Ignition ON, then button ONE, then button TWO, in sequence, both button hidden......

eff em forever......they may HOOK it but never drive it......:shocking::beer:

That won't stop them from stealing the wheels, etc. The meth heads in this town will take anything that isn't bolted down and they can get a few bucks out of.

will this work? I was told I needed a better started and I found this for $80.00 thru Rock Auto... I have a 383 stroker motor. My speed shop guy said a 96 or so vortex starter was small and it would work too... its $160.00
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=999905&cc=1041286&jnid=485&jpid=3

OR BETTER YET...???
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_i=B004RBWV5K...

What do you guys think?

The ac delco starter looks like the one that is on the GMPP BB crate engines. Mine has been very reliable.

I see that is a reman unit now, so maybe a bit more risk than new.

Last edited:
I have two mini starter bought from Summit and the only problems I have had was water getting in and rusting. I now seal all the little holes to keep the water out.

One good thing for me is these starters, is that Japanese parts fit them, so I had one go out in the Corvette in 2012 while up north and was able to find parts at a Toyota parts store.

There are no US parts stores like you have in the states.

Which ones are the 'good' mini starters - I mean non-Chinese knockoffs. Mine has been acting up when the engine is hot. Hasn't failed me yet, but I expect it to do so fairly soon and while I have the headers off the engine...

In the future I'm going to go with Powermaster starters. They are the only manufacturer that gives toque ratings for all their starters. Everybody else uses more nebulous ratings like compression ratio of the engine or amp, HP or kW of the starter motor.