Aeroquip hose constantly unraveling

Belgian1979vette

I'm trying to assemble some smaller diameter Aeroquip hose (-6 and -4). With the bigger sizes I never seemed to have any problems, but with these lines I can't seem to keep the braid on it.

The procedure I use is :
- wrapping the hose with tape
- cutting it off with a cutting wheel
- taking the tape off and trying to put the cap on

What's the trick here ?

I'm using a thin Dremel cut off wheel and painter's masking tape: actually, the cheap crappy tape works best..... Wrap it tight, two layers max..... Cut the braided hose and just leave the tape in place, when you twist the hose end on there it'll push the tape a little so as soon as the hose end covers the braids pull or cut the tape off.....

I use a sharp chisel and a block of aluminum. A couple of shots w/ sledge and you have a nice clean cut- NO tape required. Braid stays bonded to the rubber because it's not heated-pulled-stretched.

If you are in disbelief - watch the video. I was able to take as little as 1 inch off some AN 6 line- try that w/ anything else!!!

Richard

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1J7u8sG118[/ame]

I'm trying to assemble some smaller diameter Aeroquip hose (-6 and -4). With the bigger sizes I never seemed to have any problems, but with these lines I can't seem to keep the braid on it.

The procedure I use is :
- wraping the hose with tape
- cutting it off with a cutting wheel
- taking the tape off and trying to put the cap on

What's the trick here ?

Same process here except when it comes to sliding on the fitting. I have 2 rubber bushings I put on either side of the fitting and snug it down in vice. Start inserting one side and then take a small flat head screw driver and push the braided pieces in while pushing or turning the hose. So much than tearing you fingers up.

Damn that chisel cut is the way to go !!! Holy crap I have to try that !!!

Thanks for sharing that video !!!