Road Racing oil pan design

vette427sbc

I sketched up a (very) crude drawing of the current design of the pan (left) and my ideas for modification to work in a road racing application (right)
pan.jpg

My only concern is that after a few fast back-to-back corners, the oil will pool up in the center too high and create serious windage issues. Is this a valid concern? Or will the oil seep past the doors and other gaps fast enough to keep the central oil level reasonable? Which of the right two designs would be better?

My guess is the center one would be the better choice. If you're really concerned about too much oil in the sump area, you could always just open up the top of your sump for overflow. But I'm not too sure that's really that big a concern. At high RPM without a dry sump system, I suspect there will end up being more oil on top of the motor than in the sump anyway.

My advise is, instead of reinventing the wheel buy something that's proven to work. Or better yet, try to get your hands on an old barnes hybrid system. It's a dual level pump, a normal "wet" pump section fed from a remote tank and a gerotor style scavenge pump on the bottom. Bolts to a stock block, like a wet sump pump. You'll need the pump, the champ pan and lines and a tank. They have been discontinued for some time, I have several sets that I got off ebay.

As far as testing your baffles, fill the pan to oil level and walk around watching what happens as you tilt and move it about. Scalding hot water helps focus the concentration....:bomb:

I finished the pan last weekend... Everything seems to be working fine so far, but I havent hit any really hard corners yet to really test it. I forgot to bring my camera up to school with me, so I dont have any pictures.
Heres the design I ended up with:
pan2.jpg

I spent $2.79 on a steel hinge from a hardware store, and had some scrap metal to make the wall to mount it in. I cut and welded the pickup that was included to the center. So far Im in this pan for $81.79... Hopefully it can perform close to the Canton and other high end wet sump pans :chinese:.