Budget 454 build

Yellow73SB

I am going to build a 454 for my truck.

It was a big block with around 240k miles.

Right now everything is stock, 4 bolt main, cast crank, peanut port heads.

I'd like to get around 500 hp out of it.

I need to get heads probably also.

Looking at this kit for 1k, it seems like my best bet. I would have to reuse my rods, so bolts and a recondition is around 170. But it pretty much has everything

If I do the stroker I could probably get close to 600 hp. But is 600 hp going to be reliable enough to drive a trail for a few hours?

http://www.usaperform.com/chevy-engine-rods-cast-crank-flat-pistons-bearings-p-421.html

downsized_0505001919.jpg

Just thinking out loud. It seems like the costs really add up quickly :push:

Just about anything BB drives the cost up. Getting your HP numbers and being really reliable is not a big hill to climb.

For about another $800, you can get an internally balanced stroker kit with forged parts- that alone will help overall durability- and that's including rods too. For a 4.25 stroke, from what I've learned, you really need to go with 6.385 rods. Helps keep rod angles to a better level. Add some main studs, some good heads and keep the compression around 10:1 or maybe a little less. With the correct cam and head choices you can make lots of torque.

240K miles and everything stock... including a stock bore ???? Wow, a well maintained engine if that's what it is....

Since you're saying "budget".... how about spending money on a good bottom end first and then buy heads later ? You can get a stroker kit and use the heads you have for now, until the wallet allows further improvements...

just my 2c :crutches:

How about heads first and run it till it breaks? You'd be surprised what those stock bottom ends can handle.

I vote for stroking it first :D I just figure it's easier to swap heads later as that can be done without pulling the engine.

I think the heads first idea sounds good.

I will probably have to get new pistons to get the compression up though.

This brings up the second question, what heads?

I will probably have to get new pistons to get the compression up though.

Agree... most likely you'll need higher CR and new pistons. Now you're looking at machining the block.... might as well throw the stroker kit in there now if that's what you're planning on anyways.

What's the stock CR ?

Something like 8.5:1

It has the really small peanut port heads

One thing you might run into with raising compression just by swapping heads- open chamber heads usually run around 118cc's. If you go with a smaller chamber you'll have to be careful with piston selection later. You can't run closed chamber heads (that have inherently smaller chambers) with open chamber pistons. Open chambers breathe better. The peanut port heads don't breathe too well, but they will make decent torque. Just limited RPM because they can't flow enough air. Oval port, open chambers are the best bet for big torque numbers at lower RPM.

I think I'm going to use the peanut port heads and port them out as good as I can.

I have been doing some research and this guy "vortecpro" is making a ton of power with them.

It looks like hes using a "280 isky mega cam". This seems like a pretty big cam, he is obviously porting the heads better than me, so maybe I should step to a cam one size smaller.

I guess I'll get an oval intake, it looks like hes using a rpm air gap. I would assume port matching the heads would be a good idea.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211267

Last edited:
Ok, some good news today

I can get heads and KB hyper pistons and rods with ARP bolts within the budget.

The heads are larger oval ports, he is going to do a 5 angle valve job. The pistons are flat top with single valve relief, he said this should be around 9.5:1.

He also has retrofit hydraulic roller lifters I can get for a good price also.

Also has many aluminum intakes.

So really all that is left is cam shaft selection, he has some of these, but I want to get the best cam for the application possible.

I can get custom cams cut down the street and he said he could give me a core.

Ok, some good news today

The heads are larger oval ports, he is going to do a 5 angle valve job. The pistons are flat top with single valve relief, he said this should be around 9.5:1.

So really all that is left is cam shaft selection, he has some of these, but I want to get the best cam for the application possible.

You mention hours at a time of trail use. If that is low speed/low rpm use I would be a bit concerned about the retro fit rollers.

Ok, some good news today

You mention hours at a time of trail use. If that is low speed/low rpm use I would be a bit concerned about the retro fit rollers.

Are the retrofit rollers not good for low RPM/Speed? Or is it the constant bouncing of the engine on the trail that is the problem?

I'm pretty sure hydraulic rollers would be best lifter to have for what I want.

sounds like a interesting budget build. Take a few photos during the build, when are you assembling it ?

I think for a cam I am going to do 224/234 .595/.595 110 LSA

It's at the cam shop right now with another cam to get verified, I'll post the new specs if they change

Last edited: