Installing 1.6 rockers Qs

JPhil

Huh?
I'm going to swap out my 1.5 rockers to 1.6 this week. (Yes, I have all the clearances required--pistons, pushrod holes, coil bind I'm pretty sure but will need to verify at installation.)

Do I really need to worry about the pushrods seating into the rocker sockets? Comp says I should replace the pushrods with the rockers and I understand why, but I don't wanna spend the $$ right now. The rockers were a self-indulging splurge as it was.

16,000 miles on the motor. Smoking a bit from a couple loose valve guides, bummer, but I'm not in a situation to do anything about that right now either. (I've changed out all the valve guide seals already, still smoking. Bummer. Embarrassing.)

& OK, thinking about it, they say a paper clip between the spring coils when compressed is fine. What say you?
I do have another set of slightly stiffer springs (= less coils, less binding potential) that originally came on the AFR heads. The shop that did my machine work recommended I go a little less stiff for my set-up so I changed them out. Stiffer springs in addition to the ratio change worries me for cam lobe wear. It's a steep ramp cam, that's why they recommended a softer spring.

The cam is the Comp XE262 TPI computer cam---218* / 224* duration, .464" / .470" lift with 114* lobe seperation (for high altitude, low RPM torque). With the 1.6 rockers, I'll have .494" / .500" lift.

Thoughts?

You'll be fine. I haven't paid attention to the rule to keep pushrods matched with rockers for years.

I've even used old lifters on a new cam. OH the horror.

I probably put more miles on my car than anyone here.