SBC iron intake mani..Qjet....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Took motor home for a ride in 100f shade tree temps yesterday around noon....must have been 140 on the highway, city traffic stop and go, idle for long time with a/c on....

engine went to fuel perk soon as I got to the road leading into the house....

died, of course, would not restart....fuel pump sounded stupid, like it was outta gas....

waited a hour, went back, started right up....ok, heat soak from the heat riser, BTDT, but it has been decades...maybe 25 years...

SO, I pulled the intake this AM, and in filling the cross over after cleaning it up pretty good, I found a crack down in the belly of the casting, following a inside radius, fore and aft....found it because of water weeping outta it from the filler, I can't find the Plaster of Paris, so used unsanded tile grout instead....cement product, should dry hard and durable, I hope...P/P always lasts good....

NOW, I have a alternative of a Edel Performer mani, I blocked the crossover in it, also....

so WW U Do???

:twitch::skeptic::cussing:

Took motor home for a ride in 100f shade tree temps yesterday around noon....must have been 140 on the highway, city traffic stop and go, idle for long time with a/c on....

engine went to fuel perk soon as I got to the road leading into the house....

died, of course, would not restart....fuel pump sounded stupid, like it was outta gas....

waited a hour, went back, started right up....ok, heat soak from the heat riser, BTDT, but it has been decades...maybe 25 years...

SO, I pulled the intake this AM, and in filling the cross over after cleaning it up pretty good, I found a crack down in the belly of the casting, following a inside radius, fore and aft....found it because of water weeping outta it from the filler, I can't find the Plaster of Paris, so used unsanded tile grout instead....cement product, should dry hard and durable, I hope...P/P always lasts good....

NOW, I have a alternative of a Edel Performer mani, I blocked the crossover in it, also....

so WW U Do???

:twitch::skeptic::cussing:

???
:confused2:

Don't think i'd use the iron intake with the crack...it could get worse. I would replace it.

Is there a return line on the pump?

Don't think i'd use the iron intake with the crack...it could get worse. I would replace it.

Is there a return line on the pump?

NOPE, this is a olde tyme system and just a little pump like I had 35? years ago in a dual tank Chebby van....with ign on and engine still, I can hear the pump rattle with fuel, and the sounds of it are fairly obvious with experience...

SO, the thought that the cast iron mani will have a further failure is what I was concerned about....

but was wondering if it was a common compaint....I just wish I had pulled that iron intake a couple years ago, and put that bit to BED...

I can't believe anyone that supid to put a unwashed intake on a fresh engine...makes me wonder if the carbon shit didn't affect the bearings, causing lo oil pressure, even though the lifter valley/cyl heads are clean as a whistle.....

I thinking of changing oil/filter and using 20W50 oil and a WIX filter...

if it don't come up, change that filter fitting ....

on the right track? or not??

:drink:

Wix are good.

What's up with the pressure?

Never goes above 40 psi, hot idle 600 rpm is less then 20, closer to 15, now that I see that intake all messed up, methinks there maybe some bearings issue, all that shit in the oil....

:crap: