Painting over a glass hood with base clear on it now

Garys 68

OK, this question is from a paint/bodywork idiot....so be gentle.
I've got a fiberglass hood on my Olds ( I know, not a vette, but it is fiberglass )recently painted with base and flat clear coat.
I want to add a stripe on it to match the rest of the car (sunburst orange) with gloss finish.
Can buy a rattle can of GM 56 sunburst orange (ebay) and gloss clear. Tape off the area (fineline). Clean with prepsol. Rough it with 400 grit or scotchbrite. Then rattle can spray it?
A couple more questions: Is it necessary to sand between color and clear or can clear be applied while the base is still tacky?
And I was thinking about using fineline tape to leave a 1/4" flat black gap with a 1/4" orange gloss stripe on each side. Any hints on removing the tape at a certain stage of drying?
I know, this stuff is basic, but I'm bored with the flat black hood that I almost threw away.

Last edited:
I doubt that a big area like a hood can be sprayed with a rattle can and look good.... problem is you cannot really keep it "wet" enough with the rattle can. Smaller areas work fine.... next question: is there any hardener in that clearcoat ?
I have successfully used rattle cans on small repairs and then clearcoated the panel with 2K clear... looked pretty good but it's not really something I'm proud of....LOL

Not a whole hood, just a stripe down the center.
Not sure on hardener in the existing flat clear. What do I have to worry about there? Btw, that's why I'm asking, incompatibilities.

I doubt that a big area like a hood can be sprayed with a rattle can and look good.... problem is you cannot really keep it "wet" enough with the rattle can. Smaller areas work fine.... next question: is there any hardener in that clearcoat ?
I have successfully used rattle cans on small repairs and then clearcoated the panel with 2K clear... looked pretty good but it's not really something I'm proud of....LOL

One method to find out if the existing clearcoat is 2k urethane is to hit it with a rag and some laquer thinner... It won't touch 2k urethane but if it's single stage or some enamel etc it will soften it ... Test it on the underside of the hood ....
If you're not sure what it is, it might turn ugly after a while in the sun... Does the paint match the rest of the car?

Here's a pic, black base, flat clear on top.
Just planning a stripe down the center.
I've used the orange paint to do wheels before, it's a pretty good match.
What paints could be on the hood that wont work with the ebay rattle can in the link above?
th_DSCN0379.jpg

If it is 2k urethane flat clear the rattle can paint is very likely going to work. Keep in mind though, you'll ha a rough edge where the shiny glossy clear meets the old flat clear. Eventually it will peel..... Might be 2-3 years but I would bet money that eventually it will peel.
Normally you would sand the entire hood, then layout stripes, mask, paint stripes with basecoat only.... Then unmask, wipe the hood with a tack cloth, verify all lines are sharp, then clearcoat the entire hood..... That flat/gloss clear thing is going to be a pain.....

You really want to keep the flat black?

Here's what you cold try: sand the entire hood with 600wet, layout stripes, mask, paint stripes.... Unmask and shoot the entire hood with 3-4 coats flat clear.... Then buff the orange stripes... Flat clear turns shiny when polished-at least the PPG flat clear that I have used does......

Spray a test panel with base/flat clear first to see if it really works with your clear.....

That hood would look great in orange too !!!!! :thumbs:

The air induction hood that came with the car was a cheap aftermarket bonded to an original hood metal frame, it was not painted either. It doesn't fit very well, low in the middle, high at the rear edge. I had it painted flat black so it wouldn't be so obvious.
Anyway, the black is getting boring. I was thinking of adding a stripe in the center or maybe 2 wide stripes starting at the snorkles, extending back to the windshield. Kind of the reverse of the flat black stripes used on 1970 chevelles/Camaros.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. NEVER mix any kind of rattle can paint with 2 uro's. BAAAAD MOJO! 9 out of 10 times it will bite you down the road some how. Plus, it might be cheaper up front, but it doesn't last as long and you will end up redoing it MUCH sooner than later. So where is the money saved in the end? Just invest in doing it right this time.