Charging AC?

GT6Steve

Is the top fitting on the double manifold on the back of the compressor the appropriate charge point on the C3? I think it is but I need a 90 degree adapter to fit my gauges. What's the fitting just outside the firewall, kinda low and outta site?

Steve in the desert

Is the fitting on the compressor on the small tube or the big one? The small tube is the high side. Don't charge it there or you risk blowing up the can of 12 or 134. Usually the low side fitting is larger. The low side port is usually close to the dryer or on the VIR.

If you've adapted to 134 then the big quick coupler is the high side and the small is the low side. About 3mm difference. High side however has the smaller pipes and the low side the bigger pipes. Just find them, low should be on the accumulator under the blower.
If it's 12, then you have the flare fitting and the top of the receiver dryer (low) and you probably have a high fitting beside the sight glass on the pass fender lip.

You can charge the can upside down on the high side with the engine not running, but doubtful it will take it all in unless it's a deep vacuum. Should be around 90-100psi full.

Year of car makes a difference.

Steve, get with me if you've converted to R-134. I have the manifold gauge set, and also have a vacuum pump so we can pull a real vacuum. Just let me know.

Thanx Amigo, I've got the same kit, just not clear where to hook it on the Corvette. I've charged it several times before with no issue but the brain is getting hazy these days.

Hey, we've got a big compressor at the WRF on Nellis with you guys's sticker on it. I keep telling them to call you cuz it runs to 165 PSI for no good reason

Steve

I cheat, I have a set of R12 gauges, and don't care a whit damn about high side pressures, being lazy and all, and being as most modern cars have electric fans on high speed.....so I splice hoses together with double hose clamps and some outer wrapping over the ~1/4 inch pipe that splices them together....:3rd::rofl:

SO I can charge either system and not bother with all this adapter shit....

speaking of witch.....prices of a 'standard' can of 134 have been around 15+ bux here locally.....

WIFE called the other day from job site, and said that BIG LOTS, local store down the street had it on SALE for the olde tyme price of.....

6.xx so ten cans for 73 bux with tax......

should hold me for several years, GOD willing....that shit leaks like a beer drinker.....

:mullet:

I cheat, I have a set of R12 gauges, and don't care a whit damn about high side pressures, being lazy and all, and being as most modern cars have electric fans on high speed.....so I splice hoses together with double hose clamps and some outer wrapping over the ~1/4 inch pipe that splices them together....:3rd::rofl:

SO I can charge either system and not bother with all this adapter shit....

speaking of witch.....prices of a 'standard' can of 134 have been around 15+ bux here locally.....

WIFE called the other day from job site, and said that BIG LOTS, local store down the street had it on SALE for the olde tyme price of.....

6.xx so ten cans for 73 bux with tax......

should hold me for several years, GOD willing....that shit leaks like a beer drinker.....

:mullet:

fjc-6092.gif

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/FJC-6092-p-FJC02.html

You can get high, low and tank adapter for less than 15 bucks or have your SOL get them even cheaper.
Your hose clamps won't hold 300psi and it helps to know high side.

Isn't there a high side pressure cutoff switch ???.?

Well... Let's re-phrase...... Isn't there supposed to be a high side pressure switch ????

:goodevil::goodevil:

Isn't there a high side pressure cutoff switch ???.?

Well... Let's re-phrase...... Isn't there supposed to be a high side pressure switch ????

:goodevil::goodevil:

Yes, I have had to jumper them out on a couple chevy pickups a '96 & '99, no matter what, the comp would not run, jumper the switch, get it cold, the '99 just did not seem to want to take the freon, but with enough strain and revving I finally got enough in there to make with chilly air, probably freezes the nutz off up in Canada, but here in FLORIDA even the truck being white, :surrender::eek:

was that a stock 134a system or R12 retrofit?

I went thru all the trouble trying to make a R12 system work and finally gave up - the orifice must be sized correctly for 134a and the compressor must be designed for 134a, the condenser is different and the high pressure switch is protection for the system and the compressor....

this was on my Mustang back in 2010.... you know, with all the correct parts the install was a breeze, the shit just fit, even stupid me was able to get it all done with the vacuum pump and gauges from AutoZone (rented)... no leaks, ice cold air..... haven't added 134a since the install..... it's been about 50000 miles with ice cold air.....

was that a stock 134a system or R12 retrofit?

I went thru all the trouble trying to make a R12 system work and finally gave up - the orifice must be sized correctly for 134a and the compressor must be designed for 134a, the condenser is different and the high pressure switch is protection for the system and the compressor....

this was on my Mustang back in 2010.... you know, with all the correct parts the install was a breeze, the shit just fit, even stupid me was able to get it all done with the vacuum pump and gauges from AutoZone (rented)... no leaks, ice cold air..... haven't added 134a since the install..... it's been about 50000 miles with ice cold air.....

The pickups were 134 factory setups....my vette is 134 for years now, with a '88-91 vette compressor, but the rest of the system is stock as a stove....never even bothered to change the charge fitting over, don't even have a high side fitting, it cools pretty good.....90f outside, and 60f discharge air, now if the damn convertible top sealed good on the damn driver's door, I would be totally comfy.....

:hissyfit: