1958 MGA Coupe

The re-do looks like you are building new!

Good luck.

I added wrong it was 16 months....but 4 of those months were getting the house ready to sell and then selling it. closing in January and then February we started in earnest with design, and then permitting hell due to the Chesapeake Bay storm water Management regulations. then November 1st the permitting was approved and the house demo was started. not much left of the old house except for most of the exceptionally well built original foundation, the basement slab was removed for a new style slab with drainage system and sump pump and all new plumbing

they tell me slabs get poured Thursday and framing then can start Monday

Last edited:
my intent to use the 4 post lift was initially because I would not have the 12' clearance height for the two post lift. I knew I would be close but it looks like as luck my have it I may I have the 12' height after all. so look at the location and depth of the grade supporting beams at both the 8' and 16' locations. this means I will be able to safely have either one and have proper depth and footings. the concrete slab will be 6" and those grade strengthening beams are closer to 14" deep. you can see the sonotube pier footings in front for the 4 post lift if I go that way. I may have to get serious in my selection now either way. I am psyched

thum_825e14fa11ab323.jpgthum_825e14faedbc77c.jpg

Last edited:
I think the decision was made for me.....by the finished garage slab height final i calculate ceiling height is 11' 10 1/4" so 4 post lift it is....turns out I now have a super slab depth of a minimum of 8" and much more in those strengthening grade beam areas almost like like 20" thick i think the guy doing the gravel and rebar work was down 3" more then he needed to be and when they brought it up to the correct slab height i got lots more concrete. it works for me since all that concrete acts like a big heat sink and keeps the garage cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I think the decision was made for me.....by the finished garage slab height final i calculate ceiling height is 11' 10 1/4" so 4 post lift it is....turns out I now have a super slab depth of a minimum of 8" and much more in those strengthening grade beam areas almost like like 20" thick i think the guy doing the gravel and rebar work was down 3" more then he needed to be and when they brought it up to the correct slab height i got lots more concrete. it works for me since all that concrete acts like a big heat sink and keeps the garage cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

wow, I have a 4" pad, I did pay for the harder concrete and it's held up very well ... 11 years since pour and no cracks..... that drying time, though, was something else.

and here I thought it was all shop, boy, do I feel embarrassed.

that would be in my dreams...this is about the same size as my last garage just a little bit bigger. i think the workability factor is going to be better with the 4 post lift in giving me more floor space, now the down side is making smelly situations that move into the house and i get yelled at. I need to figure out a fume hood for welding and painting maybe exhaust it right to the roof

this is where we finished last night

thum_825e27417a01be6.jpg

you remember when subliminal suggestion was all the rage? maybe do subliminal scenting so that eventually your SO craves the smell....
sorry, that's all I got.

you remember when subliminal suggestion was all the rage? maybe do subliminal scenting so that eventually your SO craves the smell....
sorry, that's all I got.

thats why i had to go to the C5 and an LS1, my speed demon would leave her crying and complaining about smelling like the Holland tunnel, i think fuel injection will always be in my future

I put cats on my FJ40 for that very reason.... it makes it so much more pleasant not to be crying when a rig is running pig rich.

todays status, need to dig driveway to move dirt as back fill so they can build the front porch and add planter boxes for the Chesepeake Bay protection

HVAC is 85% done

DSC04854_zpsdb6qxoan.jpg

DSC04849_zpslkz0xg3e.jpg

thanks guys down sizing is harder then it seems, and by the numbers it is 18% smaller then my last house, but the rooms we like got bigger and we dumped rooms we didn't use. I am going to start contacting the lift guys for the 4 post lift an over height bendpak unit.

I have to tell you each day the framers get closer to 100% done a huge weight is taken off my chest...we must be close to 95% of framing completion done, back fill got delivered for the leveling of the front yard.

DSC04949_zpsfkilwm9l.jpg

DSC04950_zps2bkay4ml.jpg
DSC04957_zpsrgkni51v.jpg