Spring check up

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Looked over the car today. Found the following:
One loose jamb nut, VBandP rear radius rod. Poly stikes again. Fixed
Left front spring pocket cracked. Spreader bar is causing this, I'm quite sure. Will weld up sat,
One plug fouled. Prob #3 again
Throttle linkage sticking-700R cable sheath unclicked from support. Fixed
Accel cable not giving me full throttle(Thanks Doug) Gotta fix this:clap:
Tranny mount loose, driveshaft shifted to starboard, and just started to rub the tunnel-Fixed
Other than that,............:)

Left front spring pocket cracked. Spreader bar is causing this, I'm quite sure. Will weld up sat

Okay why would the spreader bar cause the spring pocket to crack or break? No I do not have a spreader bar but when I get there I thought I would make one.

Left front spring pocket cracked. Spreader bar is causing this, I'm quite sure. Will weld up sat

Okay why would the spreader bar cause the spring pocket to crack or break? No I do not have a spreader bar but when I get there I thought I would make one.

Ditto, same deal, why?? I have one in my '72 and some idiot slammed into the driver's front wheel last summer, but needing a upper arm and having worn control arm bushings, I put it off long as I could, it's fixed now, and I was nervous about the frame as when measuring the arm I could not find any differences between the replacement and the one that got slammed, but everything is fine....it's all aligned now, wonder what you finding there Bird??

:twitch::surrender:

Could it be that the Spreader Bar had too much pre load? As I thought that the Spreader Bar when set up correctly would just make things stronger and not put extra stress on other parts.

Could it be that the Spreader Bar had too much pre load? As I thought that the Spreader Bar when set up correctly would just make things stronger and not put extra stress on other parts.

I just extend it far enough to get snug, and left it alone, course after being hit, it was tighter than hell, so I relaxed it....with the old upper arm the car was 'alignable' with NO shims on the driver's side, and couple extra on the pass side....when swapping arms, everything went back to normal, damn close....

I got no clue why....the arm was obviously bent, but ?? I flat could not see it...

:hissyfit:

Left front spring pocket cracked. Spreader bar is causing this, I'm quite sure. Will weld up sat,
Tranny mount loose, driveshaft shifted to starboard, and just started to rub the tunnel-Fixed

I have a bubba fix for this, but not sure you would want it.........

never preload the spreader bar, just hand tighten it (I don't get why they use a bar with flats anyway, not needed!)

never preload the spreader bar, just hand tighten it (I don't get why they use a bar with flats anyway, not needed!)

No preload Marc. Hand tight. 460lb springs, and Bilstein shocks. Maybe it's just stressing the stock welds. I'm gonna pull the front springs, and have Chuck reweld the whole front area.
Ran this way for 5 years, no cracks. Added the bar, and trouble started showing up.
The welds on the pass side seemed to have stopped it there, the drivers side cracks are new.:huh:

And.....................?

I have a speader bar on mine and the frame cracked all over hell as well. Of course I didn't pre-load it either. I just figured my frame was crap so I changed it.

I HEAR the later sharks have thinner frames/not as good welded as the earlier sharks.....I never noticed it myself, but just comments over time....

I have inspected my frame from some 5+ years of having a cross support on there, and nothing shows for cracking or stress.....but now I guess maybe I need check that along with my rack install every once in a while....

:surrender::thumbs:

A spreader bar causing cracks doesn't make sense to me, it should prevent them - but after the first post I had to ask.....
Frank

2 Bubba fixes.

First, bend gas pedal rod up.

Or, second. Mine had about an inch slack on the cable at the pedal. I had someone put the pedal to the floor and marked on the carb where the linkage stopped. Then I pushed the linkage to full throttle and marked that. I needed a quarter of an inch more.....now, here comes the bubba part. I took a large fishing lead slip wieght. cut it down to size and then opened it up so I could slip it around the cable at the gas peddle....then crimped it with a pliers...like putting a lead weight on a fishing line. Still working....bubba:clap:

2 Bubba fixes.

First, bend gas pedal rod up.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......