air conditioning strategies for the 63-82 corvette

48vetteman74

:huh::huh:has anyone out there in the corvette hobby got a copy of this book sitting on there corvette bookshelf collecting dust they would be willing to sale to me for the 20 bucks it sold for back in 1998 when published? the book is AIR CONDITIONING STRATEGIES FOR THE 63-82 CORVETTE BY MICHAEL J. DAVIS,I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY A LITTLE MORE THAN THE 20 BUCKS ANY WAY I HOPE SOMEONE WILL HELP AS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS BOOK FOR A WHILE NOW WITH NO LUCK.PLEASE CONTACT ME HERE AND I WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MY EMAIL OR PHONE NUMBER. THANKS RICHARD

They have 5 of them in stock here.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Air-Conditioning-Strategies-63-Corvette/dp/0934786097[/ame]

not a C3 but a very bad strategy: spend $400 trying to fix a R12 system and retrofit it to 134a.... (rebuilt compressor, new dryer, new hoses, clean condenser and evaporator).... THEN spend $750 on a complete kit that is actually designed for 134a.....
This is pretty much what I did on my Mustang.... could have saved $400 if I had dumped that old stuff to begin with....

The C3 has the evaporator in the engine bay right above the exhaust.... not a good place for it IMO. Insulation is the key here.... I am very surprised that Terry's system works as well as it does (see link to thread above) but it shows that with a good compressor and condenser it can work even if you have to re-use the old evaporator.

:thumbs:

A 250 pound block of ice behind the seat and a $19.95 fan to blow air over the ice?

Really, after installing a Vintage Air system in the '77, I can't see much use for the GM stuff. The cost of the new parts for the GM stuff vs. the Vintage Air system made it a no-brainer.

A 250 pound block of ice behind the seat and a $19.95 fan to blow air over the ice?

Really, after installing a Vintage Air system in the '77, I can't see much use for the GM stuff. The cost of the new parts for the GM stuff vs. the Vintage Air system made it a no-brainer.

I have seen 4 of these systems installed. Reliable, ice cold, more engine room clearence, and cost effective. What more could you ask for?

I have seen 4 of these systems installed. Reliable, ice cold, more engine room clearence, and cost effective. What more could you ask for?

My old factory A/C works great!

My old factory A/C works great
!

Yeh, when it's 30f outside in the Jersey winter.....:cool::smash:

Actually, with the '88-91 vette compressor , all I did was replumb the hoses, and put in new valves, and add a can of 134 every year...not so bad for a leaky old convertible...

:cool:

!

Actually, with the '88-91 vette compressor , all I did was replumb the hoses, and put in new valves, and add a can of 134 every year...not so bad for a leaky old convertible...

Gene, my factory A/C system overcomes the hot trans. tunnel and cools the cockpit on the hottest of days. Add to that the fact that the car is BLACK and you would have to admit that the old system does OK. :club:

!

Gene, my factory A/C system overcomes the hot trans. tunnel and cools the cockpit on the hottest of days. Add to that the fact that the car is BLACK and you would have to admit that the old system does OK. :club:

I gotta get off my ass and pull the doors apart yet again, and readjust the window glass, I gave up and cut the new ill fitting top, and glued the trim piece over the vinyl......damn internet purchase, nice quality, nice price at 180 bux....but the effing thing was too LO over the window glass and so the doors would never close right, it's a freeking mess....

100f today predicted....just go faster, screw it....

:cool::sweat: