460lbs coil springs - a warning

I don't think it will. Maybe with stickier tires

x20080309xti%20265.jpg

Just remember: Four tires have more grip than three.

I had the same issues. After removing probably 100 lbs from the engine bay, my car looked like a Jeep with the 460s. I cut half a coil and it went down 3/4", but still not what I wanted. I bought 550s and it's just right. The ride difference between the two (or 3) is not all that different, but it feels better handling, more secure if you will, with the 550s. Rear dual mount spring set on 2nd from stiffest for something like 380 or 400# setting--I never can remember the ratings for it. Yeah its no Cadillac ride, that's for sure. But it feels real good to me, after all its a friggin' sports car, not a cushmobile. Very streetable. Now if I can ever get my alignment dialed in & get to work balancing the handling, I can get a better idea of what its cornering capabilities are. I'm sure the car's capabilities far exceed those of the driver!:D

I have the 550's on mine. People all say it's kind of like the stock height. Kind of strange since VBP said the were shorter. I was counting on that effect, but it didn't. Mine are seated correctly also.

The spring may be shorter in extended length but what matters is the compressed height with the corner load on it. If you know your corner load and measure the spring vs. wheel arm you can guesstimate the spring vs. wheel rate and get an educated idea of what your ride height will be. You can also do it if you know the original ride height, and then take out the original spring and know the rating. Obviously a 550lbs spring with 1100 lbs on it will compress 2" where a 400 for example will compress 2.75" so if your 550 is .75 inch shorter it will still be roughly at the same ride height

It seems to be more of a inconsistency problem. Some install a 460lbs spring and it looks like a Jeep Wrangler with a lift kit, others don't have a problem and the car sits at stock height with the 460 coils.... looks like some springs are junk, some are good.... I think I got the 460 coils from MidAmerica and the 550s directly from VBP... maybe the 460s that I got were not VBP springs ???? Who knows..... does anybody here have a ride height issue with 460lbs "grand touring" coils that he/she bought directly from VBP ?

Mine were VBP. When I first swapped out my (230#?) OEM 30 year old springs for the 460s, before I removed the weight from the front, it rose 3/4" or so higher than it had been. I attributed it to old saggy soft OEM springs vs. new stiff ones. After lightening the front was when it really got too high. I think it was 28 1/2" at the fender lip....looked like GrandsportC3's (Oliver) car at launch....

Cheers! :drink:

Is VBP the "norm" or is there another preferred spring manufacturer?

Cheers! :drink:

Is VBP the "norm" or is there another preferred spring manufacturer?

There are many, you can find 'stock replacement' springs, "HD" and 'performance' springs and many others - even AutoZone sells coil springs for the C3 (Duralast).
The VBP 550lbs coils with Bilstein shocks seem to be a very popular choice and you don't find many complaints about this combo ....

My car came with the 550s and I still cut 1 coil off. I really like the ride height, bit I have to watch dips in the road.:lol:I have Bilsteins also.64748ef78052e7b1.jpg

The VBP 550lbs coils with Bilstein shocks seem to be a very popular choice and you don't find many complaints about this combo ....
Thanks for the info.

There are at least three different types of Bilsteins available for C3: Sport, HD and Xtreme rears (VBP). Which of these would be the ones to choose?

Finally, how would you rate QA1 dual adjustable shocks http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=1072 and http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=1073 compared to for example with Bilsteins?

I have the HD shocks, at the time I found the set on sale for $250. IMO these HD shocks work great with the 550lbs coils, I used to have these white KYB shocks and the difference is like night and day.... the sport shocks seem to be a little stiffer, no idea how noticeable the difference is. Never heard of 'extremes' but these Bilstein shocks can be re-valved to match any spring you like, not sure if they're still doing this but www.stranoparts.com used to offer re-valving.

The quality on those is second to none! Didn't know they had them for corvettes.

The spring perch is super nice, can be shimmed too.

Those control arms look awesome. Great discussion on the springs. I have the 550's on mine and I am okay with the ride height but it could come down a little bit. Maybe an inch and I would be happier. With the LS motor being a little lighter, the car has gained a little altitude.