Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

Front suspension going back in, hopefully for the last time. Here are a couple of not-so-good photos. Note that all of the suspension pick-up points are adjustable, mostly with slugs. That gives me control of: static and dynamic camber, static and dynamic caster, camber and caster gain with compression, roll center, anti-dive, bump steer, and Ackermann. My basic game plan is to minimize camber gain with compression to keep the tires flatter on the track for hard braking, but increased caster with compression so there is significant camber gain (negative on the outside tire, positive on the inside) as soon as turn angle is introduced.

Front Suspension 1.jpg

Front Suspension 3.jpg

Front Suspension 4.jpg

Front Suspension 5.jpgFront Suspension 1.jpgFront Suspension 4.jpgFront Suspension 3.jpgFront Suspension 4.jpgFront Suspension 5.jpg

I need to show pictures of your build to the trolls who are complaining about my plans to race my car, they'll have a coronary (then die and leave us all alone).... looks really nice.

I started this post earlier, but I got distracted by the $750K 59 Corvette at Barrett-Jackson. WOW. Any way, I decided to post a construction shot for the mentally impaired among us that think grinding fiberglass is fun. I have finished the basic construction of the buck for my carbon fiber hood. Now it's time for lots of block sanding. I built the hood with three purposes in mind - clearance for the big motor, improved cooling by ducting the radiator to a "chimney" out the hood, and improving aerodynamics by pushing air higher up the windshield and towards the outer edges of the doghouse. Edit: actually four -lighter weight.

Hood Buck 6.jpg

Hood Buck 9.jpg

Hood Buck 7.jpgHood Buck 6.jpgHood Buck 9.jpgHood Buck 7.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I would really like to see how you do this.

attachment.php

thats pretty nice looking as it is, do the openings stay open or does a grille or something else go in there?

thats pretty nice looking as it is, do the openings stay open or does a grille or something else go in there?

They stay open and mate up with carbon fiber ducts that go to the fans on the radiator. The surfaces of the ducts that can be seen through the vent holes will be body color, and the outside of those ducts (that can be seen in the engine compartment) will be exposed carbon fiber. Grilles, in addition to blocking some percentage of the airflow, disrupt the negative pressure above the vent openings which reduces the aerodynamic effectiveness the vents produce. As a side note, my Viper hood has six plastic grilles in the hood. When you track the car, you remove the grilles (as well as those in the hood above the front tires), and you can actually feel the increased front downforce.

I always wondered if the grills above the tires on the greenwood Corvettes was worth the rock chips....

The Viper has cute little louvers that go in the vents above the tires for street appearance, but they absolutely destroy airflow out of the wheel well. I put yarn tufts on mine and the airflow out was minimal. With the vent louvers removed, the air comes straight up out of the vents - along with rocks, tire rubber, and small animals, but the increased downforce is significant. I saw an ink drop test on Twilight Zone ( a near 300 mph '69 Daytona Charger Salt Flat car) where the ink drops behind the little reverse scoops over the front tires did not move at over 250 mph. I do get small rock chips on the leading edge of the vents, however.

Louvers and hood screens in place:
Viper headlight 3.jpg

Cutting the vent holes in a buddy's $10K hood - not for the faint of heart!
Cable HoodHoles-003.jpg

You can see the screens for the six hood vent holes removed in this photo:
Cable HoodHoles-009.jpgViper headlight 3.jpgCable HoodHoles-003.jpgCable HoodHoles-009.jpg

I've already cut into my brand new paint, I'm ready for more :hunter:

to be sure I understand the concept.... louvers above the wheels would reduce lift thereby increasing downforce?

to be sure I understand the concept.... louvers above the wheels would reduce lift thereby increasing downforce?

Open holes (with no louvers or screens) cause air to evacuate from the wheel well which reduces lift and increases downforce. Putting louvers in the holes partially blocks airflow exiting. Air rotating with the tire (which is moving forward at the top of the tire) cannot reverse direction to exit rearward facing louvers, but without the louvers in place the air can blow straight up out of the holes. Putting a small gurney in front of the open holes would probably help by creating a low pressure area that would help draw more air out of the holes. I hope that makes sense.

I need to show pictures of your build to the trolls who are complaining about my plans to race my car, they'll have a coronary (then die and leave us all alone).... looks really nice.

Haters gonna hate. Anytime you accomplish more than people thought you could (or should) it brings out the crazies and felons.

The trolls must be on another site.

Looking good mfain! Waiting to hear it in the future.

Open holes (with no louvers or screens) cause air to evacuate from the wheel well which reduces lift and increases downforce. Putting louvers in the holes partially blocks airflow exiting. Air rotating with the tire (which is moving forward at the top of the tire) cannot reverse direction to exit rearward facing louvers, but without the louvers in place the air can blow straight up out of the holes. Putting a small gurney in front of the open holes would probably help by creating a low pressure area that would help draw more air out of the holes. I hope that makes sense.

it does, thank you.

Carbon Fiber brake duct. Takes air from the center of the air dam just above the splitter and converges it into 4 X 3" outlets that terminate between the lower control arm inner pick-ups. Hoses will take the air from there to a spindle cover that directs the air into the center of the rotor. The 5th duct near the front of the box sends air to the power steering cooler. Weighs almost nothing. I ended up painting it because I had to do some mods after I pulled the parts out of the mold which messed up the pretty 2X2 twill. Its under the car and not really visible anyway.

Brake Duct 1.jpg

Brake Duct 2.jpg

Plug and air dam
56 brake duct plug 2.jpg56 brake duct plug 2.jpgBrake Duct 1.jpgBrake Duct 2.jpg

Damn, that is some really nice work.

I made the pictures bigger. Hope you don't mind.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pappy -
I'll echo - VERY NICE!
Is the plug 3D printed? if so, some nice CAD-work behind that piece. Or, did you "old-skool" shape foam, then layup a 2 piece 'glass mold?

Cheers - Jim

You are obviously an expert carbon fiber fabricator. Nice work.