NASCAR air filter box

Probably crawford composites, the crawford ones on ebay are always white, the only natural looking ones were from debotech

Yeah, the ones I'm looking at are white. I've also seen the name "Roush" mentioned. There's a few that say 14" though...
14" Carbon Fiber Air Box

Fits Standard 5 1/8" Diameter Carb

Measurements: Front to Back 16" Opening at Back 20 1/2"

Part # AB-1401​

Roush is just Roush racing, they probably use the crawford ones and then someone sells them on ebay and adds the roush name to run up the price or to get more lookers (there will be more people doing a search for roush than for crawford)

The box is now "pimped" a little :D
2481f722b474ec.jpg

Yes, they are painted white for reflection. These boxes are made with the shiny smooth carbon on the INSIDE! The outside is rough and has sanding marks on it and drops and creases from the vacuum bagging.

If you somehow remove the paint they'd show the carbon fibre. however, I don't know what kind of paint they use.

Also, most of them are drilled for a small line towards the center of the filter. It's for squirting in starter fluid.

I assume yours wasn't painted when you got it? It looks quite smooth and shiny...

Probably gonna get flamed, but this is my (revised) plan:

Get hold of one of the afore mentioned air boxes, but then modify it to mount my K&N X-Stream air filter lid into it so it looks something like this:

354820a59a866f5.jpg

Then run a small scoop on the hood directly above the X-Stream filter lid.

3548208e3487955.jpg

The pics are photochops, nothing modified yet...

I actually like that :)
Cool, although I'm still expecting to get flamed with the usual "if it was meant to have a scoop like that Duntov/Chevrolet would have put one there" etc etc etc. I will make up a seal so that the hood seals around the filter lid with the hood shut so the carb can only draw air through the scoop or from the windshield area. I have the scoop already (from memory, off a 2007 Nissan Patrol) and just purchased a Fein Multimaster for cutting the hood and doing the other body mods.

Yes, mine (or V-Twins) was unpainted (brand new).
But didn't you get it quite cheap? Do you remember where you got it from?

That kind of defeats the purpose of the air box though
I had originally planned to run the filter up into the hood where the 82 throttle body air filter was and draw air from the front of the hood and I was going to "box in" or seal the filter so it couldn't draw air from the engine bay. I was still going to put the scoop over the top of the filter lid though. Someone (TT?) said that drawing the air from the front wasn't the best idea and mentioned the air box, hence my "revised" plan. Isn't the purpose of the air box to draw cold(er), uninterupted air? Won't my proposed setup draw colder, uninterupted air?

Besides, I like the look of the scoop on the hood :lol: