Need advice for rebuild a Delphi 600 steering box (Jeep box)

Günther-C3

Hey guys!

I have a Delphi 600 steering box in my 1968 Vette and there is some slop in the box. So I want to rebuild it and would need some advice and detailed instructions, how to do.
Is anybody familar with this box and can tell me how to get rid of the slop?

Thanks, Günther

The person here to get in touch with is Jim Shea, JimsL82? handle....

not posting much anymore, hope he is still going well.....

best I can say, is on that top aluminum plate, there should be a bolt with a jamb nut on it..loosen that nut very carefully without letting the bolt turn, it maybe have a hex center...then turn the bolt slightly one way or another, and it should raise or lower, the sector gear to mesh tighter with the worm gear on the input shaft....been a while, so all I can say is a rather vague notion of how to adjust it, after that.....I"m outta here......:hissyfit:

Günther, I thought you had the Borgenson box rebuilt already? I found a couple of writeups that look pretty complete. All boxes are pretty much the same principle.

Also, there are rebuild kits for these that include the seals and bearings. Maybe they include rebuild instructions? I do know that the preload adjustment is critical (screw in center of sector gear plate). It may be the only adjustment in the rebuild procedure.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...801_saginaw_steering_box_rebuild/viewall.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/steeringboxrebuild

You should post the video you sent me.

The only way that the pitman will not rotate in the center position is the lash is adjusted incorrectly.

I know that with the 600 power gear the sector shaft adjustment is accomplished by the screw and locknut in the center of the aluminum top cover. However, the thrust bearing adjustment is not the same as the old 800 gear. I am not familiar with the thrust bearing adjustment.

There should be information in GM Chassis Service Manuals around the early 2000 model years. It should have been used in light duty GM pickup trucks and SUVs.

Jim