Steering rack options.

MYBAD79

From what I've read it appears that the rack from a early 90's GrandPrix/Cavalier fits and this is what for example Steeroids is using for their kits.

The best "candidate" IMO is the Cardone 231609 (manual) or 22108 (power assisted) rack off a 1990 Cavallier Z24/Pontiac Sunbird/Buick Skyhawk.

The rack is only $210 incl. core charge at the local AdvancedAuto store.... I think I'll just buy one and see how it fits. If it doesn't fit I'll just return it.

Anyone willing to take some measurements on his/her FlamingRiver cradle or Steeroids brackets ??

If it's a center take off rack all that matters is the input shaft (pinion), an even then you can always offset mount it and make the center plate offset to correct so the tie rods are equal L & R

That's pretty much what I thought - the rack can be positioned off center to locate the input shaft where it needs to be. Once the cradle is built and the smaller parts (tie rods, U-joints and such) are sourced I believe this conversion can be done for less than $400. I think these remanufactured racks come with the inner tie rods already attached and also include the rubber boots. :D:D

I was looking into the racks sold for the mustangs by total control products. I thought it was a woodward unit but it's not. Only the pinion is a woodward piece (and most likely the rack shaft also) but the rest is build by tcp. They are kind of expensive to experiment with, especially if it turns out it won't fit. I hate the rubber donut mounts on most of these racks. I want it mounted solid.

That's pretty much what I thought - the rack can be positioned off center to locate the input shaft where it needs to be. Once the cradle is built and the smaller parts (tie rods, U-joints and such) are sourced I believe this conversion can be done for less than $400. I think these remanufactured racks come with the inner tie rods already attached and also include the rubber boots. :D:D

I think you have seen/heard my posts on the '92 Grand Am rack from my '02 install yet....same thing in place now...no changes or repairs....just the lifting of the inner tie rod ends to minimise bump steer per suggestion of Pete79L82?? over 'there'.....wonder if he still on the air??

hell yeah..... :lol:

you're one of the reasons I don't like my NCRS correct steering setup anymore.... :sos:

Non Correct 'Restorers' Society....

duplicating all the dated errors GM did at St. Louis....

wonderful....:stirpot::stirpot::suicide: