Spare tire tub.

kwplot34

Heart Attack
Anybody have a pic of a spare tire tub,that has not been covered in under coating :lol: i'm getting ready to clean mine up and would like to know what the heck they looked like so i can try and get it back to original looking shape.
I don't think i have never seen one that was not covered in dirt or under coat
:waxer:

Anybody have a pic of a spare tire tub,that has not been covered in under coating :lol: i'm getting ready to clean mine up and would like to know what the heck they looked like so i can try and get it back to original looking shape.
I don't think i have never seen one that was not covered in dirt or under coat
:waxer:

But mine is scraped with holes through it on the lo spot...I can pix it and send in email if you want....

email me, and I can just reply....OH you on my hit list, no??

GENE

Yeah Gene i'm on your hit list,if your spare tire tub looks like it did when it was new send me a pic of it. I just want to see what color they were because when i scrape all the tar off of mine there is sure to be no paint left on it anywhere.:huh:

Yeah Gene i'm on your hit list,if your spare tire tub looks like it did when it was new send me a pic of it. I just want to see what color they were because when i scrape all the tar off of mine there is sure to be no paint left on it anywhere.:huh:

hehe....figgers, mine as a really thin layer of residual undercoating on it....

maybe even factory for all I know...but the color inside is naked black glass with what looks like gray/brn/lighter colored strands through it....not any pattern to them though....just looks like hair sprayed from a gun on the assy...and not any pattern to it.....

the outside is naked in spots with the same sorta look....

but the metal is black of course....so makes me wonder if the whold damn thing wasn't painted black on outside anyway....

it's like from a '72 and been off my car for some 5+ years now....

:shocking::gurney::beer:

I have no idea what they looked like when they left the factory :confused:
Now i know what some of you guys are thinking,OH NO another correct vette,well if you have seen my car up close and under the hood you would no better. I like modding with originality added in to it.
Under the hood Far from stock,interior stock,suspension not stock,i like to mix it up :harhar:

:devil:MY vette is SO confused it don't remember what a birthday is anymore....it asks....which life???? :devil::D:crutches::yahoo:

Kev, right out of the restoration guide for 78 to 82.

The carrier is unpainted fiberglass. Steel support is painted semi-gloss black.

And if you are really an NCRS nut............"The tire tub portion has a fair amount of flat to semi-gloss back paint on it's outside surface applied during the backout process."

Here are pics of mine "unrestored":lol:

Outside
IMG_0651.jpg

Inside Pics. You can see the strands.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Thank you very much :drink: thats just what i was looking for. I'm pulling mine off and using a heat gun,scrapers,and some solvent i got from Eastwood's to clean off undercoating,so i can clean that up,the fender well's,and the rest of the frame :banghead: what a nasty mess. At least i don't have any rust :bounce: but still what a :censored:mess.

Thank you very much :drink: thats just what i was looking for. I'm pulling mine off and using a heat gun,scrapers,and some solvent i got from Eastwood's to clean off undercoating,so i can clean that up,the fender well's,and the rest of the frame :banghead: what a nasty mess. At least i don't have any rust :bounce: but still what a :censored:mess.

I have been putting that job off for quite a while....I do not look forward to it. I tried blasting the crud off with a high pressure washer....now I have clean crud:lol:

BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! I Believe it was the 22nd.

Yeah i have tried my pressure washer also and like you all i have now is clean 30yo tar with little bits of gravel inbedded in it :cussing:

And yes my B-DAY was last friday the 22nd, :thumbs: and thank you.
I'm starting to feel old :crutches:

Yeah i have tried my pressure washer also and like you all i have now is clean 30yo tar with little bits of gravel inbedded in it :cussing:

And yes my B-DAY was last friday the 22nd, :thumbs: and thank you.
I'm starting to feel old :crutches:

Hippy b'day man....:noob::pprrtt::shocking:

Kevin,

Sorry we missed your birthday. It's not fun when you start feeling old. Trust me I know the feeling. Did you have lunch with the twins. TT PM me the other day from your area. I repainted my tub with SEM Trim Black. It turned out very nice. Pricey at 10.00 a can, but great stuff. I use it to redo all of my black trim. It turns out very nice. Apply thin coats at first, then heavier.

Kevin,

Sorry we missed your birthday. It's not fun when you start feeling old. Trust me I know the feeling. Did you have lunch with the twins. TT PM me the other day from your area. I repainted my tub with SEM Trim Black. It turned out very nice. Pricey at 10.00 a can, but great stuff. I use it to redo all of my black trim. It turns out very nice. Apply thin coats at first, then heavier.

No lunch with the Twins for me,i did not know they were in MO :eek:h:
I am waiting on some Trim Black paint and some etching primer that i ordered from Eastwoods,i'm going to repaint all my trim with it and the spare tire tub.Hopefully it will stay on the chrome trim around the windows a little better from priming it first :waxer:

Did you get all that garbage off the tub?

Not yet,waiting on a package from Eastwood's with some cleaner i want to try,it is supposed to remove the light film of undercoat that is left on when you heat it and scrape it off. Should be here soon and i will post pic's of the progress and if the stuff is worth it or not.

Kevin,

I don't think that you need to use the primer with the SEM Trim Black. Just start with light coats to start with. If you put it on to heavy it will fish eye. I know that the windshield moulding will turn out fine without any primer. You will like the results.

Hey SmokenBBC does your book say what size or kind of rivet to use that holds the strap on :D

No it doesn't. But I can go one better...they are solid flat head rivets. The flat head goes on the inside.

If you want to spend the 1.95 plus a gazillion dollars shipping, you can get them from Corvette central.

rivet.jpg

Last edited: