Some interesting metal working tools

rtj

I like the mag clamps, carbide hole cutters, and welding table (except price at 2400$).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxOdu01ZAio&app=desktop[/ame]

I found some cheap knockoffs for the welding table, but Craigslist is full of homemade ones.

I like the beveler, but think I'll just keep using a carbide router bit or tip the mill head.

Routers work great for opening up alum rims. Did something like this on my 4x4 wheels (Chevy to Tacoma).

[ame]

Last edited:
Skip to the last minute to see the final product.

Actually a great idea for material, old bearings. Some of the jigs could be improved (a lot).

I've wanted dimple dies for a while, but buying them is pricey.

This is what a use as well, beside a set of proper dies. Bearings, sockets , ball bearings, anything in fact. When not rich you need to be creative, and is quite fun !

I have the time now to make some stuff, but it pays to dig around for ideas.

I'm looking at tubing benders too. Some of the dies are as much as the bender. So, been looking at vids of guys machining their own.

Ordered this off amazon for $60.

"DIY Ball Turning Attachment for Lathes / Radius Turn Ball up to 38 mm..."

Should work for making dies. I was looking at making one from scratch, but went this route. Now to score some thick material.

Nice, but I'll try using the mill first.

For an extra $100 I'll get the 32 w/o hydraulic. Won't try making big dies, but homemade 1/2" dies for blower belt guards won't be too dangerous.

[ame]

If you watch the model 3 vid, you'll probably agree.

Kind of neat. Could add an XY table and computer control. Been thinking of getting a plasma cutter.

Ordered this off amazon for $60.

"DIY Ball Turning Attachment for Lathes / Radius Turn Ball up to 38 mm..."

It took 5 weeks for delivery, but other than having to run a tap into the threaded handle hole, it looks like a good deal. It even came with a carbide insert. And, has a smooth ball bearing movement.

Now to STOP doing home improvements and get back on the cars.

I got a box of end mills really cheap when buying a rotary table. Sprayed them with wd40 and they sat a few years. Started going through them this summer and some are dull, but it was a bargain in retrospect.

I like the drill and sanders. With a coupon you can usually get an HF angle grinder for $10.

Too lazy to start a new thread, but thought these were cool.

Shows a bunch of custom auto parts for his FFR build.

Never seen anyone drape a vice/table on a mill. Sure would make cleanup easier.

Never seen anyone drape a vice/table on a mill. Sure would make cleanup easier.

Until it wraps up in the spindle and drags your hand in! :cry: :cry:

Funny, I saw that and thought it would keep things clean too and then said I'd never do that. Plus, I always use oil, so that material would be a mess. I just vacuum now and then.

But, when I was a kid, I've seen guys blow off being told to cut their long hair. We had big rotating "cat heads" at head height. Some people like living dangerously.

Last edited:
I'm not a machinist, so this wasn't obvious to me. Pretty slick setup.