new to vettemod, old to vettes

I didn't think it was a mckay manifold because mine is indeed aluminum (at least I think it is, didn't test yet, but it's heavy...the throttle blades and linkage don't add that much weight so I doubt it's mag and it's too light a color too). I was convinced mckay only did magnesium manifolds.
I know McKay also made the crower stack injector copies for use w/ lucas. Also magnesium cast and clearly say McKay on them, same as the downdraft weber magnesium intakes. Mine says nothing on it.

I also heard rumors about it being something that Mickey Thompson had used on some cars.

There was one on ebay. It was this one. The ends were clearly welded on,
24c532f72126fe.jpg

24c532f72a27b1.jpg

24c532f731ea6b.jpg

24c532f73d0dfa.jpg

24c532f74bfc72.jpg

24c532f758a114.jpg

I also saw one with holes in the runner tops where someone removed injector bosses. This one looks to be magnesium by the dark color. I would have bought it if the holes weren't there.

24c53307382be1.jpg

24c533073bae52.jpg

24c533073f30df.jpg

And these 2 (different manifolds, 2 seperate auctions) set up for constant flow FI

24c533074349d9.jpg

24c533074a009c.jpg

24c53307519c2b.jpg

24c5330758c819.jpg

TT, that is an amazing FI mani to look at, as the whole thing is SO similar to a kludge I built for my Pontiac 455, 20 years ago in my garage one winter.....

looks like a plumbing nitemare from the worst chemical dream.....

but it worked......TimAT seen it a while ago when here......

still got it, just for shits and giggles....I gotta photo it, and put it on line soon enough, I hope....:cool::D

I have more of that old crap LOL. How about these ;) (they're crowers, a small and big block one)

2493800b4b5a76.jpg

unik racing 5pc EFI manifold

24c533501a6dcf.jpg

The cluster-f on my 82 LOL (custom 1 off cast manifold, moon alike w/ 4 Dellorto DHLA45 Tri Jet Lotus Esprit carbs)
24be7d41185079.jpg

and these the SY1 (smokey yunick) is not so rare, the other one is. It's a McFarland short ram and there are only 3 as far as I know and sources told me (shop that worked w/ McFarland on these). mine is the only one complete w/ fuel rails. There are 2 unused ones that were sold on ebay. 1 had the EGR adapter (I don't have that), the other had nothing. Both had no hardware/fuel rails and the modified FPR mount.

24b05c5ef7c785.jpg
I'm a sucker for odd stuff

I'm a sucker for odd stuff :lol:

Bullshit, that's your retarrment income right there....

:tomato::D HOW in hell you ever find that shit, from the other side of the pond??

spies??

espionage???

:club::lol:

Can you post a pic of yours?

Here are three. One shows the casting number and MacKay's initials. One shows the underside and you can clearly tell it's magnesium by the white corrosion. The third is a mock up, with some sand cast Webers, on one of my aluminum engines.

P6190078.jpg

P6230002.jpg

Note the "LBM" for L. Briar MacKay:

P6230001.jpg

MacKay also made aluminum water pumps:

3663.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I didn't think it was a mckay manifold because mine is indeed aluminum..... I was convinced mckay only did magnesium manifolds.

I also heard rumors about it being something that Mickey Thompson had used on some cars.

There was one on ebay. It was this one. The ends were clearly welded on,

These manifolds show up fairly often on EBay, almost always with some unique throttle blade and injector provision. I've seen only a couple (mine is one) that remain as carburetor manifolds.

You have to mentally strip away the modifications and look just at the runner configurations, the "3742580/00" casting number, the water outlets in front, etc to see that they are all the same manifold made from the same patterns.

Jim

Last edited:
Yes, I know they are all the same manifolds that were altered in some fashion. If yours is unaltered it means they come with the injector bosses cast in. So that confirms it, it's a MacKAy manifolds :) Thanks.

Mine doesn't have the typical mag oxide stains, looks like the bottom one in your pic has the whole water passage corroded away.

I don't think mine was ever installed. There are hardly any scrapes on it, no discoloration from gaskets or sealants, the water ports (well, the 2 small passages running to the front NPT threaded holes) are clean, no deposits or discoloration, npt threads are untouched. I got this manifolds from a guy here in the Netherlands, he didn't know what it was. It came with some old race car stuff, I think it was F5000 stuff. Now I finally know what exactly it is :)

nice sandcast webers. What size are those? i think they go as large as 58mm right?

Gene, EBAY :)

If yours is unaltered it means they come with the injector bosses cast in. So that confirms it, it's a MacKAy manifolds

Are you referring to the bosses on the top sides of the runners? Those are for the studs that anchor the linkage stands.

Mine doesn't have the typical mag oxide stains, looks like the bottom one in your pic has the whole water passage corroded away.

Sharp eye! Yes the water passages were corroded but I had them repaired by welding.

I don't think mine was ever installed.

I would agree. Yours looks very nice.

nice sandcast webers. What size are those? i think they go as large as 58mm right?

Again, sharp eye. Most people wouldn't know to recognize them as sand cast and to realize that's slightly special.

Those are 50mm and the bore centers are the same as the bore centers of the unobtainable 58mm DCO3 Webers.

Mike Pierce of Pierce Manifolds has examined them and expressed the opinion they were prototypes. There are no identifying numbers anywhere, except that one is stamped "No. 1", one is stamped "No. 2", and so on.

They use normal DCOE/IDA emulsion tubes, jets, and air correctors. The idle jets are like those on (going from imperfect memory here...) DCNF(?) Webers. The only unique jets (meaning that Mike Pierce didn't recognize them as being shared with any other Weber) are the pump jets.

Jim