Hello VetteMod

I just got a '74 Coupe as a project car- I can drop a 454 in it OR a 355. I've got both just setting there, complete ready to go. all I need to do is decide.

How can you NOT now the obvious and only correct answer to that? :eek::twitch:

Depends. Is gas going up or down? Just how fast do you need those groceries? If you and Denise cruise together in seperate cars, do you really want her beating your ass?:shocking:

Nah, if he wants his ass beat, I got just the gear to help with that....

I used to make a line of BDSM gear with my welder buddy, with the economy slodown there is no money in it, the folks in the 'trade' think we supposed to design and build that crap just for grins......

totally underestimated the amount of work into it....it was fun projects for a couple of years, and the guys would turn to me for design considerations...

about laugh my ass off, as I really not into that scene....now TT and his Bro could be really GOOD at it....

:bounce::bounce::twitch::censored:

Depends. Is gas going up or down? Just how fast do you need those groceries? If you and Denise cruise together in seperate cars, do you really want her beating your ass?:shocking:

She won't drive Red, so that's not a thing. The 74 is going to be an air conditioned, power windowed, auto trans DRIVER. Gas, I don't see it going down for long, so I'll start with a TH400 and then maybe go to a 700 or 200 later with the overdrive. Maybe even a 4L80E with a controller. None of the numbers match (like I care anyway!!) so I can just go where I want to.

The 350 I've got is .030 over, 2.02/1.60 72cc heads, GM 3927140 cam, 9:1 compression and runs like it did when I first put it together in 1975. That's the first choise for this one, then I can go back see where I am.

She won't drive Red, so that's not a thing. The 74 is going to be an air conditioned, power windowed, auto trans DRIVER. Gas, I don't see it going down for long, so I'll start with a TH400 and then maybe go to a 700 or 200 later with the overdrive. Maybe even a 4L80E with a controller. None of the numbers match (like I care anyway!!) so I can just go where I want to.

The 350 I've got is .030 over, 2.02/1.60 72cc heads, GM 3927140 cam, 9:1 compression and runs like it did when I first put it together in 1975. That's the first choise for this one, then I can go back see where I am.

3927140: Mech. 257/269 .493"/.512": Z28 service cam. Yea, that'll get you the gas mileage you are looking for.:smash::lol:

The problem with that cam is that it needs OPEN headers to work good. That was the FIRST solid lifter cam I used in the Vette way back in 72. A week later I put in the 30 30 and it was a MUCH better street cam.

With the 9.0 cr --especally with the A/C--- you MAY want to rethink the cam.

Just a thought, you know I don't have many to work with. This is the third one I've shared with you. I don't have many left.:push:

I know that cam will be just a touch rough with A/C. But on the flip side, that engine is all together, runs great, and will only need a carb put on it to be right back. Past that, I can build the L-82 that came with the car- it's a 010 block with 67k on it.

I always thought that it would be neat to build a 74 like the silver coupe that Chevrolet used as their development mule. It had Zl1 flares, headlights, "real mag" look american racing mags and a special cowl induction hood complete with L-88 air cleaner and plenum. The hood looked similar to the high rise that you can buy through the aftermarket today. It was fetured in several publications at the time; but as we all know never made it to production.

Take that concept with some modern rubber and a nice E.F.I. BBC and I think that you would have a real winner. That new Edelbrock 555 efi crate engine is supposed to have got 19+ mpg in a Chevelle. I figure that the same concept on a 468 would work pretty good for a more budget set-up as I am not that big of a crate engine fan and you said that you alread had an engine.

Don't let my log on name fool you into thinking that I am only a BB guy. I like any engine that makes decent power. Put some boost to a SBC and they are pretty decent, put some boost to a BBC and you really have something. A wise man once pointed out to me that while r.p.m. willing and ready they are, a SBC is like a pesky mosquito.....They can be tough, somewhat quick, but mostly they are always buzzin around thinking that they are a hornet and no matter how many of them you swat down with your big block there is always anouther one buzzin in your face waiting to be swatted like the one you already smashed.