Antifreeze fluid extractors

vette

Has anybody used one? Do they really work and if so, what is a good one to buy?

Thanks,
Danny

In 50 years of driving, I never heard of such a thing.....

what gives???

:flash:

Do you mean a compressor powered fluid extractor, or an EPA mandated antifreeze fluid filter machine?

Do you mean a compressor powered fluid extractor, or an EPA mandated antifreeze fluid filter machine?

What in hell?? we have to stop doing our own cooling system work now??

limiting anti freeze purchases?? or is it just for Ca. and professionals???

what in hell is a fluid extractor?? all I ever done is pop the drain or lower hose....

:stirpot:

I think that is 3 questions.

In Ca. antifreeze is Hazardous waste. You merely drain it into the old container, and take it to Haz Mat. FREE in the O.C.

The EPA mandates that dealers use a reclaimer:(I think)

Home use for sucking out any fluid:
http://fluidextractor.com/

Been washing down the driveway or out on the lawn for 50 years ......

don't see the point.....

:bonkers:

I have been buying the Sierra antifreeze for the past several years.

Its $14 a gallon but we have to start taking care of the environment a little better.

http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/

It ain't that much effort to siphon out the old antifreeze and take it to the city on haz waste day.

Last edited:
Its $14 a gallon but we have to start taking care of the environment a little better.

http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/

It ain't that much effort to siphon out the old antifreeze and take it to the city on haz waste day.

I agree Jim. Imagine 200,000,000 people a year dumping oil and other toxins into the ground? It's insane. If the oceans die, we all die.

don't see the point.....

and we wonder why the water is contaminated and cancer rate is up :suspicious: Gene im sorry to say but that is plain stupid or you are just lazy.

Last edited:

don't see the point.....

and we wonder why the water is contaminated and cancer rate is up :suspicious: Gene im sorry to say but that is plain stupid or you are just lazy.

Yeh, like 2 parts per billion of anything is likely to cause cancer....right, I quit buying into THAT bullshit line decades ago.....

Sorry, but the stats are IN....people living twice as long as a mear century ago, and then was longer than before that even.....

so of course cancers maybe up....people living at 80 are very common, of course breathing problems arise from a dusty enviornment, like asbestos....but fiberglass house insulation, especially that blown in shit, is just as bad....so is sheetrock dust from sanding....or concrete dust from mixing a bag of sacrete.....

or for that matter living in a forest with all that tree pollen and even dust off a farm field....Allergy season???

I"m not saying piss in every stream for the sake of just doing it, but damned if I go believe this psycho over reaction crap of all the green weenies that has the net affect of killing our industrial age/advantages either.....

i'ts not EARTH that's in the balance, i'ts the American lifestyle and the industrial age that GOT us there, that IS......

:cussing:

don't see the point.....

Yeh, like 2 parts per billion of anything is likely to cause cancer....right, I quit buying into THAT bullshit line decades ago.....

Sorry, but the stats are IN....people living twice as long as a mear century ago, and then was longer than before that even.....

so of course cancers maybe up....people living at 80 are very common, of course breathing problems arise from a dusty enviornment, like asbestos....but fiberglass house insulation, especially that blown in shit, is just as bad....so is sheetrock dust from sanding....or concrete dust from mixing a bag of sacrete.....

or for that matter living in a forest with all that tree pollen and even dust off a farm field....Allergy season???

I"m not saying piss in every stream for the sake of just doing it, but damned if I go believe this psycho over reaction crap of all the green weenies that has the net affect of killing our industrial age/advantages either.....

i'ts not EARTH that's in the balance, i'ts the American lifestyle and the industrial age that GOT us there, that IS......

Gene you are very misguided.I fill sorry for your kids and grand kids you leave a very poor example of how to be responsible.
I suppose you dont read the directions on the back of the lawn chemical bottles and just mix and dump as you please.

I, too, am unsure why you would need a fancy 'Fluid Extractor' for a normal coolant system---I have always just used 6 or 7 feet of 3/8" rubber oil line stuck down into the radiator and siphoned into a 5-gallon bucket on the floor. Add water to the system to circulate through the block and do it again. And maybe again. Then siphon out the water and start addding new coolant, checking the mixture as you go.

But the question of what to do with the old makes me think....Years ago the chief operator of a local sewage plant told me that for average citizen use, it was OK to just flush it down the toilet. He said that by the time it got to the sewer plant, it was so dilute that it would not harm the biological treatment system, in fact it would be treated and the discharged clear water would pose no threat to the environment.
But I think I will call the wastewater chief here on Monday when I get back to work and ask if that is true or not.

And I used to sprinkle my waste oil out on the alley to keep the dust down, but now I take it to a disposal site.

Gene, it's just one buffalo, right? Just one passenger pigeon, one dodo bird, right? Hey it's OK to kill 'em, there's lots of them, what could possibly happen? You should see some of the dead creeks & valleys & ecosystems here in the west, killed by mining. Hey, we only use a little bit of these chemicals to extract the ore! But ten thousand mines each dumping ten thousand tons of polluted tailings onto the mountainside and the chemicals leaching out over the years have turned beautiful mountains & valleys into barren dead moonscapes with no life to be found. And also contaminated the watersheds & water tables & creeks where we draw our water from.
Dumping any chemicals into the earth or storm sewer, no matter how benign or insignificant you believe them to be, is BULLSHIT.

(quote)"""......i'ts not EARTH that's in the balance, i'ts the American lifestyle and the industrial age that GOT us there, that IS......"""(quote)

It is precisely that the "American lifestyle" is so out of balance with reality that we have come to this point where the world is falling apart around us.

We don't inherit from our ancestors, we borrow from our children.

John

Last edited:

Is that your expert opinion as a TV repairman?:amused:

A lot of these things we need to do are not hard at all. Save your fluids for haz waste day. Everybody bitches about the freon thing. The R134 worked out great. Most have converted their systems with little effort. AC is still ice cold.

Hopefully with Obama as pres we will start cleaning up the planet a bit. Hell even Romney closed down a power plant here in Mass becaue they were dragging their feet and wouldn't upgrade.

Gene, This is why we get all these extreme laws. Because people like you won't voulentarily cooperate. You have only yourself to thank.

We all have let antifreeze run down the driveway. It's time to stop. I shudder to think about putting my mouth on the suction hose when draining antifreeze.

Let's wise up.

Last edited:
Very well said guys Thank You. In some of my AG classes we study these things and the impact these chemicals have and in my Chemicals and there use on the Farm class we got real in depth on it. In small quantities most chemicals are safe,but if every body is doing it Mother Nature can not keep up and filter it all out and then you get polluted streams and sterile soil. I'm no tree hugger but i depend on the soil and water sheds to make a living so i do what i can to leave it better than i found it.

Enough said.

As far as an extractor,i can't say that i have ever seen a pump just for anti-freeze but if i need to only drop the level in the rad a bit i use one of those of those suction guns.

...I shudder to think about putting my mouth on the suction hose when draining antifreeze....

You innocent guys must never have siphoned gas at night very much, huh?
Only a novice sucks on the hose. You wrap a rag around the hose and push it against the filler neck to make a bit of a seal. Then you BLOW into the hose to pressure up the tank. That starts the siphon.....:rolleyes:

...I shudder to think about putting my mouth on the suction hose when draining antifreeze....

You innocent guys must never have siphoned gas at night very much, huh?
Only a novice sucks on the hose. You wrap a rag around the hose and push it against the filler neck to make a bit of a seal. Then you BLOW into the hose to pressure up the tank. That starts the siphon.....:rolleyes:

As told by a old gasoline thief from the olde tyme daze...;):rolleyes:

you founded a whole industry, eh?? locking gas caps.....patented....:kissass::crap:

but the humor is in my stats as being totally correct, even if a few spots are brown, the grasses and forests come back in a few years, that has been proven many times over.....so what if it's bare for a while.....

and for all the woosies here in North America, you got the rest of the world that WANTS our living standard, and don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut how they get it either, and guess what??? they are correct, it NOT an issue, except in the minds of under worked enviro woosies who don't have a REAL job.....or are SO successful they have too much time on their hands to direct everyone else how to live....

:crap:

Yeah well statistics also proved that the world was flat, that the sun orbited the earth, that a flying machine was impossible, that house prices would never fall.......