How good are spal 11" dual fans with shroud for cooling

Belgian1979vette

I have set my eye on a set of those. One of the reasons is that I need them since the engine driven fan and factory shroud is blocking my engine to have a cold air intake.

Do these provide enough cooling ability (2800 cfm ) with a powerfull engine ?

I also have seen comments that these might not clear the VBP offset A-arms.

Talking rung out BBC power, LS, or SBC??

I have a ~1.25" thick single row aluminum rad from a later F body that fits my '72 just fine......and dual spals.....seems happy in Florida heat, even with a go to hell engine oil cooler plumbed into the auto trans cooling, taking about a foot square of airflow off the engine rad.....

them Spals kick in, sounds like an aircraft under there.....:nuts:

Don't know about the A arm clearance but I do wonder about the air flow specs for these fans. 2800CFM is a lot of air, about the same air exchange flow for a small house. It would be more honest it they rated these @ pressure.

Don't know about the A arm clearance but I do wonder about the air flow specs for these fans. 2800CFM is a lot of air, about the same air exchange flow for a small house. It would be more honest it they rated these @ pressure.

Well, if you believe Tom DeWitt from over 'there'......they really seriously move some air....2700 CFM supposedly....I can say it's a hell of a breeze and I did some decent trimming in around the Rad and AC cond. so they suck hard, and like I say a ~30 amp fuse, and higher rated alternator, so far so good....

:yahoo:

Years ago I paid DeWitt like 300 bux for the fans, not thinking that EBAY they can be found for much closer to 200 bux.....can't win....:bomb:

I already went to a CS130 that puts out a healthy 100 amps.

I put the radiator back in actuating the with the ecu, and it's indeed a serious breeze. I can even feel the air rushing in from the front of the radiator.

Meanwhile I also learned these have a possible defect :

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3628105-dual-electric-11-fan-question.html

OK, here is my history, I mounted them in the direct center of the rad. and so had an issue that developed over some year of our crappy Florida local roads, rough as a cob, deliberately so.....another topic......so the left upper control arm front bolt did knick the fan blade on that side, I got lazy and tried some ideas.....but when doing the up/over air induction...I took the idea that the lower fan support bolt into the rad support on the right side, it needed be longer and through the fan support also....bringing the fans over to the right side about an inch or so.....I made my own mounts for the fans....just two aluminum angle bars about 1/8" thick and inch on each side top/bottom so no more crap with control arms....

every once in a while I run the A/C with the top down....them fans sound like a blower, and with the BB hood, somehow the kids decide to not mess with me.....jeee....wonder why.....:clap::yahoo:

Question before I start knocking myself in the heads for installing electric fans :

I had everything together today and ran the engine up to temp. I run a 195°F thermostat and the temp sensor is in the head.

It seems to cycle in between 205 and 198 or so. The fans kick in and the temp seems to drop, but it seems not to go fast enough and not to below 197°F or so.

Is this a sign the fans are not strong/big enough ?

Question before I start knocking myself in the heads for installing electric fans :

I had everything together today and ran the engine up to temp. I run a 195°F thermostat and the temp sensor is in the head.

It seems to cycle in between 205 and 198 or so. The fans kick in and the temp seems to drop, but it seems not to go fast enough and not to below 197°F or so.

Is this a sign the fans are not strong/big enough ?

Sounds about what mine do, and have been doing for some years now.....

trick is, to use another proven correct temp sensor at the same spot in the head your temp gauge goes.....so you KNOW it is accurate....

I have an IR temp gauge, I have calibrated with two HVAC gauges, and my Fluke temp probes, one for water the other for dry applications.....I always come up with all of them happy.....

I find my dash gauge is about 10f above what the cyl head probes measure, but to know that gauge is in the water, inside the head....but the readings are very consistent.....My FI computer temp sensor is in the right side head, cyl 6-8 and that is what controls the fans.....the gauge is in the stock/left head 1-3 cylinder.....:bump: