Internal Body Aerodynamics

Through the top/hood.
Same builder -- very different livery:
12695be80cac34bfe.jpg
If you look real close as he exits the pit you can see what appear as open exits on either side of the streamlined "blister."

A lot to see here in side view too:
12695be80cac484c8.jpg

Something they have played around with more than one it seems:
12695be80cac5abc1.jpg

12695be80fe4110e1.jpg

A lot of work here in his gallery:
http://www.frankiesgarage.com/pr01.htm

vette427sbc - There are some clear plastic VGs you could mount with clear double stick. A bit "unobtrusive," but workable.

I have some and if I find could send a few if you'd be willing to do a Tuft Study and share the pics.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Through the top/hood.
Same builder -- very different livery:
12695be80cac34bfe.jpg
If you look real close as he exits the pit you can see what appear as open exits on either side of the streamlined "blister".

Cheers - Jim

Agreed on this one, with the raised gills on either side of the hood. Not so sure on the first one in the vid. But, fans make anything possible.

But, I'm sure he's done his homework. Looks awesome.

Great discussion, chances are I'm wrong on all accounts! :)

Edit: okay I went back and zoomed. You are right. It is really hard to see on the blacked out car. There appears to be an intake way down low like above.

Last edited:
rtj - Yeah that video lacked enough defination to really see the intake - and nearly impossible to make out the hood exits zoomed way in!

Here are the specs on "Frankie's" vettes:
Technical Data:

Engine:
6.4 L - Chevy based V8, built by Frankie´s Garage. 600 hp @ 6600 rpm, 720 Nm (530ft#) @ 4800 rpm, electronic racing fuel injection, programmed by Frankie´s Garage​

Transmission:
ZF, manual 6-speed​

Body:
Carbon fiber​

Chassis:
modified C4 space frame​

Brakes:
Carbon disks, Brembo calipers​

Weight:
1280 kg 2822#​

Top speed:
310 km/h 192 mph​

Wheels:
front and rear 10 x 17​

Tires:
275/40 ZR-17​

Cheers - Jim

Jim- Once I get my car together Id love to do some yarn tuft testing and hopefully some highway smoke testing too. If all goes as planned that should be possible this summer! And the clear VGs are a pretty cool idea... Ive been trying to figure out how to make them look good on the roof. The pre-79 coupes need them badly.

I can imagine the flow on the back of an "early C3" is not good.
I wonder how Denis' (aka denpo) rear window mod flows.

I wouldn't be too ashamed of stealing this idea from the Miata crowd:
12695be85ea42e19d.jpg

I understand it is CF and laid up over stretched cloth, kinda like the audio speaker box folks do. Could be hot wired foam and laid up too. Or -- what about heating and forming some lexan. May need a frame then too.

Ahh, winter projects.

Cheers - Jim

Smoke wands,

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710000335.pdf

This is an earlier version of what I've used (above).

The link below is very similar to what I've used and easy to make yourself. NASA Published a "how to" but I can't find it.

https://www.aerolab.com/products/smoke-generator/

Basically pump kerosene or propylene glycol down a stainless needle tube held inside a larger steel tube. Create an electric circuit and the needle tube becomes a heater. Kind of dangerous if you aren't careful (use at own risk).

https://www.aerolab.com/products/smoke-generator/

I wonder if you'd get fined using these in public?

Last edited:
I do really like Denpo's rear window mod... Theres a fiberglass company called dynamic corvettes that grafted a hardtop onto a coupe body... It looked very cool. Ill have to try and find a picture.

RTJ- Thanks for the links Ill have to look into one of those when Im ready... As far as legality... I cant imagine doing smoke testing on a public highway will go over well with the state troopers :withstupid:

I do really like Denpo's rear window mod... Theres a fiberglass company called dynamic corvettes that grafted a hardtop onto a coupe body... It looked very cool. Ill have to try and find a picture.

I'd like to see the grafted hard top photos. I hacked off the roof and added a vert top years ago, only cost other than the HT was vert windows. Your car is too nice for a hack job in my opinion.

Another, less controversial smoke generator is a cigar smoker. Basically a pipe you throw a lit cigar in, cap, and pump compressed air in. Smoke exits tube on other end. Just as toxic, just socially acceptable.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRCqLRgZRQ&app=desktop[/ame]

Not internal, but ......

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoS6FBoQZM&app=desktop[/ame]

It would be cool if cars had active crash mode aero devices. Lock up the brakes and drag doubles or quadruples. Yes, I slid around in the first snow dump.

Last edited:
It would be cool if cars had active crash mode aero devices. Lock up the brakes and drag doubles or quadruples. Yes, I slid around in the first snow dump.

Well, I bet you then remembered, that when the front wheels lock - you don't steer - the car just goes where it was last pointed! With that device and increased drag, you'd hit whatever is in front of you with less force!

Every winter in Fargo, I'd take my buddies out for a little "(Out-of)Control Theory" class on the slick university lots. It wasn't ice racing, but close.

Cheers - Jim

PS; I've got some interesting info to add in a bit on radiator intake/duct/exit. Will post soon. I need to scan some images first.

As promiced...

Here are a couple of images to review. The first is Walter Korff's take on duct design - for radiators. Key points:
1. The duct must seal the radiator--air tight.
2. The placement is related to the radiator height
3. The inlet is also related to the placement of the radiator.​
12695bec75bac2fc8.jpg
He shows (but doesn't discuss size, etc) controlling the airflow with the exit "flap" like on the P-51 Mustang. Also, with no plan view, I assume the duct is rectangular when viewed from above, i.e., no converging to the radiator, and no diverging on exit.

The second is his text.
12695bec75bae55bb.jpg
The reference #99 is to a 1963 SAE paper I have not been able to source. I do note that his book is Really good and surprising some of the topics covered -- including Hybrid Vehicles!

This is an example of Walter's ideas being used today:
12695bec98ead7e51.jpg

Here is a Can-AM from showing duct design in cross-section:
12695bec75bb06101.jpg

and here in execution:
12695bec75bb1d00f.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
I'd like to see the grafted hard top photos. I hacked off the roof and added a vert top years ago, only cost other than the HT was vert windows. Your car is too nice for a hack job in my opinion.

Another, less controversial smoke generator is a cigar smoker. Basically a pipe you throw a lit cigar in, cap, and pump compressed air in. Smoke exits tube on other end. Just as toxic, just socially acceptable.

It was on dynamic corvettes facebook page but I cant seem to find it... In 40 years when I go through all this again I think Ill do the hardtop graft :lol:

Jim- this is close to what I have envisioned for the rad ducting:
12695bec98ead7e51.jpg

Im keeping the pop-up headlights so the grilles up front are useless to me (they'll be blocked off like 69427 did on his car). Im going to keep the car a "bottom feeder" and seal off the openings to only the rad duct and brake ducts. Hopefully I can devise something that still allows the hood to open all the way.

Another find today from Improved Racing... They have an oil cooler with some bold claims. If this is lighter, creates less drag and cools as good or better than the Setrab 25 row I was looking at then I think I may have to try it out...

Improved Racing's Motorsport Heat Exchanger (MHX) series oil coolers are the result of several years of development and testing to create a highly efficient oil cooler. These coolers were perfected through extensive testing on our in-house heat exchanger test system and wind tunnel.

The MHX-514 oil cooler is a dual-pass oil cooler that matches heat rejection rates to larger, heavier stacked-plate coolers made by brands such as Setrab, Mocal, and Earl's. Compared to a typical 25-row stacked plate cooler, this cooler is 17% smaller overall and 20% lighter, yet holds 36% more oil volume capacity. The core is 23% thinner and has a lower row and fin density, allowing more air to flow through the cooler to other heat exchangers (such as a radiator) behind it.

http://www.improvedracing.com/impro...mhx-514-high-efficiency-oil-cooler-p-885.html

It was on dynamic corvettes facebook page but I cant seem to find it... In 40 years when I go through all this again I think Ill do the hardtop.

I found a couple of photos of a black hardtop vert. No lines on the rear deck for a hatch. And, the grainy photo appears that the "buttresses" are cut. Looks like HT windows.

21945bed832a613ec.png

21945bed832a5040c.png

Last edited:
Apolgies to rtj if he's posted this in the video section. So many videos -- so little time! C3 starts @ 1:52
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwyUOq_goI[/ame]
This is from the A2 Wind Tunnel. You can hire time and the Blue and White racer I posted earlier spend a day there. He can certify that that car has downforce greater than its weight. So at speed, like an F1 can race on the ceiling!

I wish they had shot video from the side views. Would get to see the advantage of a "fastback" mod for the earlier C3s.
OOPS - Just found a "still":
12695bedb82411040.jpg

Here is a real life example:
126950abb3a798379.jpg

and here is a C4 looking a lot like a C3 mod/fastback version:
12695bedb8242428d.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Apolgies to rtj if he's posted this in the video section.

Cheers - Jim

Don't worry about me, I'm just sharing vids I see as interesting. Plus, bookkeeping them for reference.

Interesting stuff on the air intakes, Jim.

I previously had Cd numbers for C3 coupe and convertible, can't find them now. Convertibles have lower Cd, hence more popular with road racers.

Last edited:
Another sales pitch, but interesting. They employ a venturi effect (high speed jet ) under the car at high speed.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8ElNX-nRw&app=desktop&spfreload=10[/ame]

... They employ a venturi effect (high speed jet ) under the car at high speed.

Conservation of Mass: High speed flow (makes) Low Pressure

Pressure Differential: High on Top + Low Below (makes) DOWNFORCE

The nice thing is it is nearly free (low drag), and limits porpoising as speed changes. Would be nice if they showed some more underbody aero in the advert, but that wasn't their purpose.
Here is an example on an F1:
12695beeee2e5c1e4.jpg
"Baseline" means both front and rear wing. Note the Cp (coefficient of pressure) is only slightly lower in the no-wing configuration - but a huge difference in the Drag coefficient (Cd) of the all-up round.
Locating the venturi so the Cp is close to the CG is useful to decrease pitching moments too.

No doubt Mercedes has done extensive tunnel testing and design. Wouldn't it be fun to see details?

Cheers - Jim

As Long As We Are Talking About Bottoms...

If you wanted to reduce the overall drag as easily as possible, you could start with this:
12694d212d7813bda.jpg
Which would you tackle first?
Well, if you add up everything other than the first 2 columns on the left -- all those items would see significant reduction in their contribution by adding a full belly pan. Now, full disclosure, all those bits from the first table, are not just the underbelly contribution - wheels, tires, etc. But, this shows the contribution of each to just the underside drag.
12695beef92b8a0bf.jpg
No easy task:
12695bedc418b4e88.jpg
You'd have to add material to the side rails to be level wth the rear cross member. But you gain the opportunity then to include a diffuser in the rear!
Not a 'vette, but you get the idea:
12695bedc4ec18971.jpg
[NOTE they are exhausting the Radiator to the underside of the vehicle]

If you want to build one - here are 19 pages of a build:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/60-t-100-forum/325836-under-belly-pan.html
And a few images lifted to pique your interest: [Note I think he used "bendy-ply/doorskin as a prototype.]
How to mount to the frame rails and get below the rear crossmember. Here is a novel idea:
12695beef92bdc992.jpg
use Rivetnuts/nutserts then threaded rod or standoffs:
12695beef92bf1bf8.jpg
Simple joins between panels"
12695beef92c25e8e.jpg
Now would be a goodtime to include a splitter:
12695beef92c39bbd.jpg
We have all remarked about the rear end being a "Prachute" -- here are some details of possible improvement potential:
12695beef92c87fc3.jpg
So from the mid/rear crossmember aft something like this:
12695bedc4ec18971.jpg
Just a few notes on bellypan improvements I've seen in researching:
Walter Korff, suggested 15.38 % reduction in drag with a full bellypan.
NASA achieved a 15% drag reduction on a Ford Econoline van. A BOX!
The late 1970s Audi 100 scores a 15% drag reduction with a full bellypan.
1980, a 1970 VW bus a 8.726 % reduction in drag. A "classic" BOX.​

So, What is that like?

At 3000 pounds - sort of a Corvette, 20 sqft Frontal Area (Wild Ass Guess), Cd of 0.45 (another WAG), It would take 509 HP to reach 200mph. Reducing the Cd by 15%, with no increase in frontal area, and minimal increase in weight, you can get to 200mph with 436HP!
I used the calculator over at http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml

Cheers - Jim