Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Italy | Addict

My Photos: (39)
Default QA1 Vs. Penske !!!!!!

Ok guys..... this is not a really "apple to apple" comparo, but what a difference!!!!!

Today I test drive my C3 with new Penske 8300 coilovers (QA1 are now in the shelf....) and it is an othe planet!

With my 1000 lbs springs the double adj. QA1 where not able to control the spring force..... I was forced to set the knobs nearly full stiff, and the result was a very stiff sistem for the low speed (talking about the suspension not the car..) but the shock was loosing control in case of a little higher speed.

So the setting was too "squared" without any digressivity..... too stiff at the beginning, loosing too much control under higher stress.

The car was pumping at the apex of the corners and coming out when accelerating strong.

Now, with the Penske, I can go many time more soft at low speed and I still have a lot of control of weight transfer.

Very very good move..... if you need some more that a cool look under the car!!!!

Of course a bit pricey (some 800$ each) but, you know, the more you spend.... the less you spend!

Nice work Penske guys!!!!!

P.S.
The guy of Penske was very competent, in order to select the correct valving he asked to me infos on springs, spring ratio, corner weights and
suspended and not suspended mass of each corner.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (0)
Default Penske 8300 coilovers

Good-day My Italian Brother :

I Know this thread is 3 years old but ...would you have the part number for those Penske 8300 coilovers? I think you said they were 11 Inches long?

I studied your photos for the Shock mount and think I can replicate it. Also measuring for clearance of the body panel... C2 1963 compartment's a little different. Thanks so much for all the help and advice on the suspension build
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Italy | Addict

Hello Sting...

Penske will not sell off shelf shocks, but you will need to send a lot of infos:

1) sprung weight
2) unsprung weight
3) load ratio on the coilover
4) average use of the car
5) stroke of each suspension
6) spring ratio used

Yes in my case the shock are the 11.5" long extended and 8.5" compressed

My contact Richard Scott was in UK (because I'm in Europe)
I think you should contact Aaron Lambert [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Let me know......
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
United States | Member

Thanks Pier Paolo :

I ended up ordering a pair of Bilstein "sport" coilover's that are approx the same size as yours. I'm feeling good with Bilstein's Quality and they can be re-valved if necessary. Of-course price had some pull on this decision. Now get to working on the upper frame mounts.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Italy | Addict

Bilstein are excellent shocks..... you will love them!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
United States | Member

Default #2 Questions

I appreciate the fast reply, two more questions :

I have a choice of Heim Joints or Urethane bushing mounts. I was thinking , wound there be that much camber change to need the Heim ? Also I have see some coilover's mounted up side down (Spring on bottom// Shock valve body on top ) Good Idea for a gas shock ? Perhaps it's just for clearance reasons? Bilstein show's them that way in their ad? Thanks Again Bud

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Italy | Addict

In my opinon heim joint are the way to go..... specially if the shock will be pretty stiff !
Any gas shock can be mounted up side down..... twin-tube shocks (like QA1 for example) cannot be istalled up side down.

In fact a gas shock must have a floating pistone inside the body to separate the gas from the oil, thanks to this you can do that.

A good reason (in light cars) for an up side down mounted shock will be the reduction of the unsprung mass.

In our cars the unsprung mass is so big that it will make very little sens.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
United States | Member

Default Shocking

Once again
Thanks for the info. my friend. Things are finally coming together. Dang .....If I jest get the car together ......Maybe Ill stop making these crazy design changes. Sadly, I have enough leftover parts to build a whole other chassis (Seriously)!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Italy | Addict

Why not to do it !
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
United States | Member

Default Strut Rod's length

One last question:

I see your Strut Rod's used on your set up are VBP smart strut items. Im buying regular threaded Rod from Speedway. Would you have the length measurements for the Upper rod's & toe rods ?
I remember discussing the Camber arc requires the upper to be 30% shorter than the lower. My lower rods are at minimum 15 inches so .. -30% would be 10.5 inches. Correct ? I have no idea where to start with the toe rod length. I Appreciate the help.