454 build up journal.

It's also a GOOD idea to install a locking plate for the camshaft bolts. Since you're running a flat tappet cam there's no need for a three-piece Torrington bearing or a thrust bumper.

Did you check the crankshaft end play?

Jake

It's also a GOOD idea to install a locking plate for the camshaft bolts. Since you're running a flat tappet cam there's no need for a three-piece Torrington bearing or a thrust bumper.

Jake

Jake,

Yes I did check the crank end play and it was fine. I also had the machine shop recheck the crank bore since the first machine shop did such a sorry job on the sleeve install. I also hit the crank several times on either end to set the thrust bearing, I actually am running a locking plate I just did not have it installed when I was degreeing the cam. It would have been just one more thing to remove when I advanced the cam. I went ahead and replaced the comp roller timing chain with the torrington setup because you could already see where the sprocket had been cutting into the block. I could have clearenced it but decided just to go the torrington bearing route.

Thanks for your input!:drink:
Wade

Good. So when you replaced the timing chain set you DID install the type that has the cam gear already clearanced for the Torrington bearing, right? The gear that has been machined thinner to account for the thickness of the 3 piece bearing. If not, the chain won't run true.

Also, did you lube the 3-piece bearing set to prevent a dry start-up?

Some very reputable engine builders drill two very tiny holes in two of the oil gallery plugs (one hole in each plug) which are located in the block above the camshaft to increase oiling to the timing chain and gears. I believe the holes are drilled 1/32" but I'd verify that size just to be sure. If you opt to do that, be very careful with pressure on the drill bit because a bit that small will break easily.

I'm sure that once the valve train is installed and lash set you'll prime the hel* out of the engine with a priming tool and electric drill. I always install an oil pressure gauge in the block to be able to see the actual pressure being generated. I also manually turn the engine repeatedly as I prime with the drill to be sure oil is getting to everything and I continue until oil is existing the rocker arm oil holes. I look for continuous oil flow through the rockers until no air exits the rocker oil holes.

I'll post a pic of how I mount my oil pressure gauge as soon as I track it down.

You're doing very well.

Jake

Here it is: BEST388DRIVERHEADSHOT.jpg

Bye bye purple!!!!!!:lol:

picture_002.jpg

Jake looks like nice build but I have to ask what head gaskets your using and if they are the Felpro peformance gaskets there are two holes on each deck the have be machined or drilled to work with there gaskets.

When we machine those blocks we automaticly put them in on the older blocks as the later ones are already drill for the better gaskets.

Good luck with your build Carl

It's been many years since I built my last BB but I recall using FelPro's 8180PT head gaskets. However, I don't recall ever having to drill the blocks. The 8180s were used on 8 second quarter mile engines.

When I built the last two SBs, I did drill the blocks according to FelPro's instructions which came with the gaskets, which are intended to improve coolant circulation. Also, on the 400 SB I drilled steam holes in both heads.

Jak

Jake

But wouldn't the bearing and bumper prevent the cam from moving fore and aft and altering the timing? And also make sure the cam stays in one place so the lifters spin as they're supposed to?

Just asking questions here..

A flat tappet cam won't move fore/aft. The cam is not horizontal in the block, it's actually angled a tiny bit, so the lifters pushing down on the lobes prevent the cam from moving forward.