6 link short-long arm suspension

vette427sbc

Ive been reading into different 5 and 6 link suspension setups lately and came across the fact that most suspension designs in general use a short upper control rod with a longer lower control rod. I am a complete novice when it comes to suspension design, so bare with me here... Focusing on this design here: http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/6link/ I get that the shorter upper arm will pivot on a tighter arc and pull the top of the spindle in while under compression to give the negative camber, but as seen on the graphs in the article the wheel also goes into negative camber when it is in the jounce (opposite of compression?) condition. Is there a reason you would not want positive camber here? It seems like an equal length unparallel setup would be much more optimal as it could produce negative camber while in compression and positive camber while in jounce. Ideas?

The Giovanni design in jounce pretty much has to be a mirror of rebound because of the fixed half shaft. If you use slip shafts, it opens up possibilities to "re-shape" the jounce/rebound curve so it is not necessarily symmetric. The C5 suspension has very little camber change in rebound. Something to consider, body roll effects the curves asymmetrically. Also a C5 has very little body roll in comparison to a stock C3.

I think I have some of the terminology mixed up... jounce is the suspension compressing (outside wheel going around a turn) and rebound is the suspension unloading past ride height (inside wheel going around a turn)?

Is there a reason why C5 suspension does not have proportional rebound and jounce camber curves? I would think that if the car is going around a turn, the outside wheel would have, say, -2* of camber, you would want the inside wheel to have +2*. No?

I think I have some of the terminology mixed up... jounce is the suspension compressing (outside wheel going around a turn) and rebound is the suspension unloading past ride height (inside wheel going around a turn)?

Is there a reason why C5 suspension does not have proportional rebound and jounce camber curves? I would think that if the car is going around a turn, the outside wheel would have, say, -2* of camber, you would want the inside wheel to have +2*. No?

I don't think you want a symetrical jounce/rebound curve. The roll center is not dead center of the wheel axis and the outside wheel (in a turn) is loaded higher than the inside. With a C3 you have toe considerations also (just to complicate things)!