Question for L-88 experts

Give up Bird. Latest word is that ALL Pro Stock and Funny Car drivers are demanding their cars be switched to IRS. I heard Kenny Bernstein and that Schumacher guy are telling their mechanics to jury-rig an IRS into their dragsters. :rolleyes:
laughing-pounding-floor.gif

BTW...that video about Force is ancient history. He's back racing. Here's the current Funny car standings:

1 Tim Wilkerson 2090 -
2 Tony Pedregon 2060 -
3 Robert Hight 2050 -
4 Cruz Pedregon 2040 -
5 Ashley Force 2030 -
6 Jack Beckman 2020 +3
7 Gary Densham 2010 -
8 John Force 2000 -2
9 Ron Capps 1990 -1
10 Mike Neff 1980

And Pro Stock.
1 Greg Anderson 2090 -
2 Kurt Johnson 2060 -
3 Jeg Coughlin 2050 -
4 Jason Line 2040 -
5 Allen Johnson 2030 -
6 Dave Connolly 2020 -
7 Mike Edwards 2010 -
8 V. Gaines 2000 -
9 Ron Krisher 1990 -
10 Greg Stanfield 1980

Sorry....none of these cars use IRS/Corvair rear suspensions. :D

Last edited:
Give up Bird. Latest word is that ALL Pro Stock and Funny Car drivers are demanding their cars be switched to IRS. I heard Kenny Bernstein and that Schumacher guy are telling their mechanics to jury-rig an IRS into their dragsters. :rolleyes:
:drink::beer:

I think that the point was missed somewhere along the way. I would never say the IRS is the best for drag racing. In fact, IHRA allows a solid axle 12Bolt swap on these cars for safety. I am not sure that NHRA does not allow the same thing now. Pure stock is a different story as they are not running slicks or launching at high R.P.M. I have heared in the past that the IRS will hook up the car with a smaller tire; but the factory system is just plain weak. It is so typical for G.M. to build a great engine and back it up with a weak drive line. They still do it till this day. That is one area where Ford and Mopar have the G.M. cars beat. In the 60's they gave us great engines like the L-78, L-72, L-88, and ZL-1 and backed them with a Muncie and a 12 Bolt. Might not seem to bad; but it is sure no Top Loader 9Inch and certainly not on par with an A-833 and a Dana 60. Everyone talks about the half shafts; but it is the sub axle that I fear. If you talk to any stock eliminator racer that still rus the IRS they will tell you the same thing. Even if you invest in the $6000 set-up you still have to do aircraft style inspections after every event to make sure the next run won't result in a failure. Corner burners might be a different story; but for drag racing it is hard to beat a good solid axle for dependable and cost wise performance.

If you drop the IRS vs. Solid issue the L-88 Vette is still a potent combo in stock for these reasons: Aero body compaired to others in class, Better weight dist., greatest engine set-back of any car ran in stock, 98" WB, Nice TQ to HP ratio.,Factory Frame car purpose built for performance.

What would worry me more with the stock IRS is all those U-joints spinning around. I've seen them let go too many times for me to trust them under my nads when dumping the clutch. I also wonder what kind of clutch is used in the stick shift cars? There are clutches that have a built in "slip factor" and will amlomst work like an automatic. Like I said, there's more than just motor to consider with these cars. I'l still take my favorite 302 engine for drag racing:

TECHNICAL DATA
VIN number 124378N411100
Build Date 04A (first week of April)
Color Corvette Bronze
Interior Code 712, black standard
Car Shipper Shipped on April 11, 1968 to Ammon R. Smith Auto Company, York, PA
Engine Data Cubic Inches, 302
Cylinder heads #3917291, completely stock, no porting allowed!
Stock rocker arms & valve springs
Intake 302 aluminum intake, casting #3917610
Carburetor Holley, #4053, 780 CFM 4bbl
Camshaft Crane, .480 inches lift, 272 degrees duration, valve lash, .016-.016
Pistons GM 302, .030" oversize
Horsepower 456 @7700rpm
Rear Tires 9" x 30.0" Hoosier's
Rear axle & ratio 12-bolt, 5.57 Richmond Pro Gears
Clutch 10 inch, three finger from Advance Clutch Technology
Shift Points 8200 RPM
BEST ET 10.80 @122.30mph

http://z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

Hagerstown_win.jpg

Last edited:
Love the pics. That's quite impressive power for a 302. Shift point is 500rpm higher than peak HP horsepower at 7700RPM:amazed:

I was trying to find the weight of Old Reliable, but couldn't find it in the link article...do you know what it was/is?

Love the pics. That's quite impressive power for a 302. Shift point is 500rpm higher than peak HP horsepower at 7700RPM:amazed:

I was trying to find the weight of Old Reliable, but couldn't find it in the link article...do you know what it was/is?

Dang!!! I was asked that question before at the other forum and I forget the exact numbers now. But I'm pretty sure the Camaro weighed at least a couple of hundred pounds less than the same year Vette.

More importantly its shifting at 8200rpm with a dual plane.

I thought to run stock class the car had to be stock, in that pic those are not stock tires and wheels and it has slicks on the back. Or is that pic from another race.

I thought to run stock class the car had to be stock, in that pic those are not stock tires and wheels and it has slicks on the back. Or is that pic from another race.

Kevin: I believe stock class they are allowed to run slicks and change wheels and tires. This is NOT "Pure Stock" like that newer class runs in.

NHRA stock allows you to run a 9" slick. Any traction device must bolt on. Engine must use factory Carb, Intake, Heads, etc. No porting allowed. Cam can have any valve event; but must use stock lift.

It makes since to let them run slicks,to me that would just be a safety factor.

For most cars I would agree. But slicks on a Vette might be more of a hazard than a safety item. If a Vette gets really good traction, lots of drivetrain parts are subject to letting go. They would neel all kinds of additional safety hardware. That's probalbly why that Pure Stock class is so popular. Breakage is probably zero using street tires. Makes me wonder if they would actually go slower running slicks vs bias belt tires. For sure the competition (like the ZL-1 Camaros) would get a huge benefit from slicks.

It makes since to let them run slicks,to me that would just be a safety factor.

For most cars I would agree. But slicks on a Vette might be more of a hazard than a safety item. If a Vette gets really good traction, lots of drivetrain parts are subject to letting go. They would neel all kinds of additional safety hardware. That's probalbly why that Pure Stock class is so popular. Breakage is probably zero using street tires. Makes me wonder if they would actually go slower running slicks vs bias belt tires. For sure the competition (like the ZL-1 Camaros) would get a huge benefit from slicks.

Yes there is always an exception to the rules :eek:h: i would like to put some DOT slicks on my car for better traction,but i know the rear end would not like it,for very long :flash:

I'm always worried that those big ol' Goodyears will stick when I jump on Ol' Red. It'll pop that rear end like stepping on a grape if they ever hook. And they're only 11-1/2 wide with tread. And dropping the hammer from a stop? Ain't gonna' happen.