BB Heads

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Most of the aftermarket BB heads (except AFR) seem to list their exhaust ports as "raised" .300 or .600 Has anyone used the raised ports and noted any trouble with header interference?

I don't think the .300 would be much of a deal except for the steering box. That thing is in the way all the time anyway.

I didn't know that.

Raising the ports might just help with clearance at the steering gear.

Tim, I doubt you'd notice a .300 difference in where the headers sit, but if your concerned, I found that BB corvettes used a spacer between the motor mount and the block. A stamped steel V looking thing, that's just about 1/8 inch thick or so. I used them and it raised my motor just enough to gain a bit of clearance between the header and the steering box.

Ol' Red has a spacer on the right side motor mount and nothing on the left. I've been looking at heads and didn't want to get a set and then find that the headers hit so hard they were unusable.. KInd of like when you drop a tall deck block in a Vette.

Too many cubes, to little volume......

do you want grease for your shoehorn, anyone????

:3rd::hunter:

I didn't know that.

Raising the ports might just help with clearance at the steering gear.

I would think it would hurt, wouldn't the pipes have to make even more of a tight turn??:clobbered::huh:

Yeah, good point. The exhaust ports are on a 30 degree andgle so raising them also moves them out (unless the exhused port suface is machined back).

So raising the header .30 would move them out .15, probably still OK. Now raising them .60 might be a problem.

Most of the aftermarket BB heads (except AFR) seem to list their exhaust ports as "raised" .300 or .600 Has anyone used the raised ports and noted any trouble with header interference?

I don't think the .300 would be much of a deal except for the steering box. That thing is in the way all the time anyway.

This doesnt actually answer your question, but I thought I would add a bit of related info.
First, AFR exhaust ports are also raised. And second, if you would like some aluminum BBC heads with exhaust ports in the factory location, buy a set of Brodix Race Rite heads.

I missed that in their propaganda.

Brodix seems to be a really popular head these days. I'm not settling on any one until I get a real handle on what I'm going to do. I have a .060 over block to build a 496, but by the time I get all the rotating stuff for that, plus the machine work to fit the pistons, I can nearly get a 598 short block with a roller cam that's already built. Add heads, valve train from the lifters up, and go.

I have the GM 14011077 C-port heads- The flow numbers on those are about the same as Edelbrock's, so any change will have to be in a up direction.

I don't have any need to move the exhaust ports, but if heads with raised ports won't cause any major hassle with the tubes, it's just one more thing to cross off the list.

Brodix seems to be a really popular head these days. I'm not settling on any one until I get a real handle on what I'm going to do. I have a .060 over block to build a 496, but by the time I get all the rotating stuff for that, plus the machine work to fit the pistons, I can nearly get a 598 short block with a roller cam that's already built. Add heads, valve train from the lifters up, and go.

Tim, is the 598 available in the aftermarket or do you know someone who has built one?

Shafiroff has a 598- $12k turnkey complete, there are some short blocks out there that seem reasonably priced too. I found a 496 rotating assembly for just under $2k, be closer to $2500 with balance, then you have to add cam/lifters/ heads and all the related other stuff unless you have a stock of good used parts- I'm wanting to just pickle that LS-7, bag it and stick it in the corner as a complete ready to run engine. That kills my spare parts supply

Here's 2:

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/598_bigdawg_lowdeck.asp

http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/short-blocks/585-and-598-combinations