So what is baseline HP for a 350

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Just for reference, this is my dyno sheet for a baseline, non-modded L-81 with ALL the smog equipment intact. It is RWHP, with A/F at the bottom.
It gives you an idea of stock HP, and what you have to start with. It is a new GM universal crate engine of stock specs. 4,000 miles on her.
81dyno.jpg

I suppose I should add, that although the engine is stock, the Trans was changed to a 700-R, and the gears to 3.08. Stock is 2.79.

Last edited:
It gives you an idea of stock HP, and what you have to start with. It is a new GM universal crate engine of stock specs. 4,000 miles on her.

The $1400 shipped low cost no extras version ? The Goodwrench ?? For that price it's really not all that bad, seems to have lots of low end TQ, like a truck engine... what's the cam specs ? Stock L48 broomstick, 194-204 dur with .390" lift ?

Affordable engines from a name you can trust.
These are excellent entry-level performance engines for older cars, trucks, and street rods. All of the parts in these engines are brand new. These GM Performance Part Goodwrench 5.7L/350 c.i.d. have approximately 8.5:1 compression with 250 hp at 4,300 rpm and 350 ft./lbs. of torque at 3,600 rpm. These crate engines have 4.00 in. bore and 3.47 in. stroke, with 4-bolt mains and two-piece rear main seals. Camshaft specifications are .383 in. intake lift and .401 in. exhaust lift. Open duration is 194 degree intake and 202 degree exhaust at .050 in. with a 112-degree lope separation. Cylinder heads are cast iron with 1.94 in. intake valves and 1.50 in. exhaust valves, with 76cc combustion chambers, and 7-bolt style exhaust flanges. These engines include painted valve covers, oil pan, and timing covers. They are drilled for both left hand and right hand dipsticks.

damn I was 2 degrees off on the exh duration .... :cry:

naahh.... not too bad for a wild guess and definately not too shabby for the money spent.... now if you're looking for a few more horses, the cam is really holding it back. Look at the low budget Summit cams like a 1103.... you'll need new lifters because they have to "mate" with their cam lobes but it shouldn't cost you much to upgrade.... 1.6 ratio rockers will increase valve lift, your springs should be able to handle the additional lift. Are the rocker studs press or screw in style ????
I think just with the cam and rockers you can get additional 30 horses for a lil over $120....incl new gaskets.....

Karsten. This is Momma's car. Bone stock Disco Buggy.
I really want to buy my own pre 75 so I can do as I wish.
That being siad, if I do anything to hers, I will change the gears again from 3.08 to 3.73.
After that, at 50,000 miles, when the stock chain starts to stretch, I may drop in a double roller chain, and a computer compatible cam.
Since I am stuck with the smog laws in Kalifornia, the best way is to start over with the right year car.
This 81 has to have a sniffer test every year.:suicide:

That being siad, if I do anything to hers, I will change the gears again from 3.08 to 3.73.
After that, at 50,000 miles, when the stock chain starts to stretch, I may drop in a double roller chain, and a computer compatible cam.
Since I am stuck with the smog laws in Kalifornia, the best way is to start over with the right year car.

I grew up with the strict emission and inspection laws in Germany..... I understand and i'm happy here in FL without any emission crap or inspection BS..... :stirpot:

OK, now seriously.... leave that rear alone or she'll complain about not being able to drive the car at highway speed.... oh wait, just re-read your first post ... you have a OD tranny..... ok, 3.73 is a good choice then.... still the cam is not really an issue and you can still pass emission test with f.e the Edelbrock performer cam.... not much duration but a lot more lift than the l48 broomstick.... 50 state emission legal might exclude CA though..... :suicide:

It's time for a C2.:yahoo:

IMO, having HAD a 700 here in my '72 with the stock 336 rear, the first gear was totally useless....lasted about 2 seconds in traffic....whwhw shift allready.....the cruise is same as now with the 2004r, but I can slam down the throttle without winding piss outta the engine for no reason....
so the bottom line was that for MY driving style/purposes with lotsa freeway use, the 700 was a poor choice.....the 200 is far superior....

I find cruis at 2200-2500 being 75-95+ mph is right in there with that 336 rear....

and correcto mundo on that lack of Florida smog nazi's....I figger sooner or later the feds will do something, they did at one time,....but we have no elevations to trap tree smog so there is no problem....

as for the engine, I think THAT is what Stinger should be shooting for, and save his money off that 7 grand 383 and all the rest of the dreams....a nice decent street driver built good, and ten years from now having NOT killed himself with too much HP for his experience....is the time for another go round...but by then he will be married with 2+ kids and a wife crying for baby milk.....:stirpot::lol::lol::lol: